News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton summer festivals

Safety concerns given the dozens of fights recorded?
First I thought that there were only 4 fights -- second any time you get big crowds at an event like K-Days there is always a mindless youthful gang element that goes along with it. I remember years ago when my younger brother (8 or 9 at the time) was stepping up to try the High-Tower Hammer game to try his luck at ringing the bell (fat chance); as he swung the hammer back over his head this idiot with 3 of his comrades in tow and a couple of giggly girls standing by, grabbed the hammer from behind so that my brother couldn't complete the swing -- ha, ha, very funny. My Dad grabbed the asshole by the arm and -- I remember his words distinctly -- "how would you like me to rip your arm out of its socket and club you over the head with the stump." The guy instantly went pale and 2 of his three compatriots stepped forward as if to come to his aid. No-one realized that I, too, was part of the family clan and I stepped in front of the two wannabe ruffians and admonished them to stand back. At that point a few more bystanders also stepped in to warn them off. The toughies backed down and sheepishly walked away.

Fights at stampede were wild this year and well circulated on tiktok, instagram, twitter. So I don’t think that’s to blame.

Cooler weather for sure. Safety/perception issues of downtown (which many suburbanites consider expo a part of/proximate to), and transit safety issues id blame.

I'm going to the Heritage Festival this weekend because I enjoy it, not because of Keith Gerein's article.

I do agree with him that Heritage should become our premier Summer event. It is massive, unique and probably our best festival. Imagine if we can expand it to include concerts from international and local artists, big as small names in musica, dance and other performing arts, over two weekends, to add to its allure, for example?

Fights at stampede were wild this year and well circulated on tiktok, instagram, twitter. So I don’t think that’s to blame.

Cooler weather for sure. Safety/perception issues of downtown (which many suburbanites consider expo a part of/proximate to), and transit safety issues id blame.
This is interesting. Edmonton fights at k days are nothing new but the frenzy around circulating the videos seems at an all time high. To the point where outlets like CTV news and EJ pick it up and put it on the front page.

However, CTV in Calgary paints a different picture of how security is well handled and no major incidents.

Is this a different mentality in reporting news and promoting a city? Or were the Edmonton altercations more frequent and worse?

This is interesting. Edmonton fights at k days are nothing new but the frenzy around circulating the videos seems at an all time high. To the point where outlets like CTV news and EJ pick it up and put it on the front page.

However, CTV in Calgary paints a different picture of how security is well handled and no major incidents.

Is this a different mentality in reporting news and promoting a city? Or were the Edmonton altercations more frequent and worse?

It's also interesting that the Calgary Stampede sexual abuse scandal involving 70 victims over 25+ years hasn't received much media attention in YYC at all - Ryan Jespersen, a Calgary native, and Stephen Carter, campaign manager for their current mayor as well as Nenshi I believe, is amazed how nobody in Calgary is talking about it. If it wasn't for MP Chahal saying federal funding should be pulled, there wouldn't be saying anything. Smith said province isn't pulling funding when asked.
Of course this news conveniently didn't get released until after the Stampede. Gondek and other councillors sit on the Stampede Board as did former mayor Nenshi. And they weren't aware of the magnitude of this? And no comments on Twitter from Nenshi who talks about everything.

In my opinion, our three best festivals all come in August right after one another. Heritage days, folk fest and then fringe. I think all of them are great and are worthy of increased development and promotion. I would like to see their prioritization over things like k days and taste of Edmonton. K days lives in the shadow of stampede and "taste of" festivals are in every city it seems like.

And perhaps spacing them out slightly more so there is no festival fatigue may also help. I'm not sure tho. Maybe having them all in August is to our benefit.

As has been mentioned on this forum, we need to play to our strengths and create exceptional experiences in a focused manner rather than spreading ourselves thin and trying to please everyone.

I'm going to the Heritage Festival this weekend because I enjoy it, not because of Keith Gerein's article.

The Heritage Festival in the Northlands/Borden Park location went well for the most part this past weekend. Apart from the lack of a Japanese pavilion, there should have been more trees and more shading - maybe there should be patio umbrellas available? We also had to trudge through fine gravel to get to the racetrack - now that horse racing is gone I hope that is rectified soon. Some people who attended on Saturday complained about a closed Expo Centre but it was open on Sunday which was good - I'd rather use a real washroom instead of the dozens of porta-potties.

The Heritage Festival in the Northlands/Borden Park location went well for the most part this past weekend. Apart from the lack of a Japanese pavilion, there should have been more trees and more shading - maybe there should be patio umbrellas available? We also had to trudge through fine gravel to get to the racetrack - now that horse racing is gone I hope that is rectified soon. Some people who attended on Saturday complained about a closed Expo Centre but it was open on Sunday which was good - I'd rather use a real washroom instead of the dozens of porta-potties.
I think that the layout was kind of bad, but it's forgivable considering that it was their first year. Seating areas, especially with some shade/umbrellas would've been great, too. It is a shame we didn't have a Japanese pavilion, but at least Germany and Croatia were back this year!!!

I know for a fact that for 2024 both Brazil and Portugal plan on having pavilions (or a shared one, depends on how negotiations go). I really wish Russia had been in, as well. I'd actually love to get the represented countries count to 70, which is a nice number, hahaha.

I'm planning on going to The Fringe sometime this weekend, likely on Sunday afternoon.
Is it just me, or has there been a relative lack of media attention around this festival?

Back