News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton summer festivals

I work on the Media Services team at Folk Fest. There just isn't a lot of local media left period.

When Postmedia announced their major consolidation nationwide back in 2016, guess which city lost the most staff?

Yup, 35 people were let go from the two Edmonton papers.

"The most senior people Postmedia dismissed were the Edmonton Journal's editor-in-chief, Margo Goodhand, and managing editor, Stephanie Coombs, as well as the managing editor of the Edmonton Sun, Donna Harker."

They brought in a person from the Calgary Herald to manage the two Edmonton papers.

And since the Klein era when more and more announcements and provincial business was happening via Calgary, it probably made more and more sense to have less media here.

Sorry, I've been wanting to get that off my chest for a while and this seemed like the perfect opportunity, so I took it. Back to summer festivals if you'd like. 😆

Last edited:
I'm planning on going to The Fringe sometime this weekend, likely on Sunday afternoon.
Is it just me, or has there been a relative lack of media attention around this festival?

It's understandable that the wildfires in NWT and Kelowna are hogging up most of the media's attention, but they should not forget that the largest Fringe festival in North America is now on.

The first annual Edmonton Mural Festival is underway, August 15-September 15

Below is their largest project this year by Indonesian mural artist Hardthirteen (Bernhard Suryaningrat - https://www.instagram.com/hardthirteen/) and Annaliza Toledo and Trevor Peters of Rust Magic.. Going to be epic!

2990B86B-45FB-4DBF-923E-0BFEFF8992AE.jpeg

Last edited:
The first annual Edmonton Mural Festival is underway, August 15-September 15

Below is their largest project this year by Indonesian mural artist Hardthirteen (Bernhard Suryaningrat - https://www.instagram.com/hardthirteen/) and Annaliza Toledo and Trevor Peters of Rust Magic.. Going to be epic!

View attachment 500987

TvqIkKj.jpg

This year's Edmonton Expo starts today and continues all weekend.
There aren't as many guest cancellations as prior years, although I'm sure the Hollywood writers' strike is the primary reason.

This year's Edmonton Expo starts today and continues all weekend.
There aren't as many guest cancellations as prior years, although I'm sure the Hollywood writers' strike is the primary reason.

So one has to PAY for an autograph or picture with these peeps? How awkward is that, do your u have to swipe or tap before or after the autograph? I thought insane ticket prices and lining up for hours was either the cost or penance for this opportunity?

Taste of Edmonton, Street Performers Festival, maybe others. They all came out of something called 'Summerfest'

"In 1981, the City of Edmonton launched a new project called “Summerfest”, which operated under the Parks and Recreation Department. Summerfest was the grandfather of most of the major present-day festivals in the city; the project was meant to function as an umbrella for cultural celebrations, and the events that were developed during Summerfest would later amalgamate into festivals of their own."

In 1980 I was hired by the City of Edmonton to act as the technical director for a new summer attraction called "SummerFest". I moved here from Fredericton with the idea that after that gig I was going to move to Toronto where I had a job with CTV waiting....they're still waiting. Fell in love with this city and have lived and worked here ever since.

With a government grant, a giant portable stage constructed by a Montreal firm was purchased by the City and was used for several years in Churchill Square and by the Heritage Festival before the construction of the amphitheater in Hawerlak. Also used that stage for the Pope show back sometime when he visited. (ps. I know I'm old but pretty sure we started summer of '80, not '81)

This was the summer the province was celebrating its 75th anniversary: the Lougheed government poured a bagillion dollars for celebrations all over the province, (by comparison, the Centenary celebrations were a joke). This "SummerFest" money also helped start the first Edmonton Fringe Festival a couple of summers later.

The seed money and technical assistance that was SummerFest, along with the many visionaries in the city, begat, in some way or another, Heritage Festival, Street Performer's, "That Day in May", Giovanni Cabotto Day, Fringe Fest, Taste of Edmonton, Folk Fest, Blue's Fest, Jazz Fest and all the others who've since been inspired to create something special for this city.

(one little edit...money well spent)

Last edited:

Back