7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Branding and Tourism strategy

Gotta work on this first.

b737c351c4ca39018a5e9051789fa6d3.png

Our rate would be comparable to that of YYC’s IF the metro population was included as is theirs……so our rate is based off of what 900k? When it should be based off of 1.5M as I know for a fact YYC is…..

Once again, YVR is probably based of the city proper and not their 3M metro population……I have watched Global Van everyday for the past 15 years and the murders and manslaughters take up the first 30 min of every newscast…..

Edmonton does all it can, but it has no control over the Feds and Province using us as a dumping ground for people fresh out of prison, on probation, etc. We receive many more of those people than Calgary, for example.

With our Indigenous population being that much higher than YYC’s and with our local jails being what? 2/3rds of the inmate population being Indigenous? (very conservative number) There’s our answer right there…..

I believe these rates are based on CMA populations (StatsCan, 2021).

I think the best thing we can do as a city is market our strengths. People will be attracted to the River Valley, Summer Events and other recreation.

Edmonton does all it can, but it has no control over the Feds and Province using us as a dumping ground for people fresh out of prison, on probation, etc. We receive many more of those people than Calgary, for example.
No doubt. Virtually all of the max sec prison capacity for the entire prairie region of Canada is at the Edmonton Institution. A lot of those inmates have nowhere to go when they get out, so they get on the LRT, go downtown to reach Boyle Street, and that's it. I always think of the time a guy at Stadium LRT asked me if I wanted to buy his unused ETS ticket for $2 so I said sure. He then thanks me and proceeds to tell me he just out of prison after a number of months for aggravated assault.💀

It probably doesn't help matters that Edmonton is the only major city in Canada with a prison near the downtown core. They should shut it down or move it beyond Fort Saskatchewan. They can also do likewise with the women's prison near 111 Ave and 178 St.

1669263233315.png

Grierson is not a full-fledged prison -- more of a day camp for minor offenders, certainly not murderers.

It is minimum Security and only about 30 beds. It was the old RCMP K division until the 70s.

I'd love to bring a U of A Architecture School back to Edmonton, it would be great somewhere in the Quarters (not necessarily the Grierson Centre) and could potentially help jumpstart some development in the area.

A nice idea but if the School of Architecture ever returns to the U of A, it'd have to be on north campus. Would have been perfect to have been in University Commons/DentPharm.

Back