News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Canada Soccer

There was the event at Santa Maria Goretti centre at 3pm before the game (hosted by the Voyageurs). Apparently there are 1,800 of them here. And then at 5pm walked over to the stadium and greeted the Canadian national team when they arrived by bus - actually shaking the bus. Many fans were there then.

I saw on the news earlier tonight a music event in the Ice District plaza for the PBR. Also happens to be where many of Voyageurs folks are staying.

Here's the Global News story on the tailgate party.
"This weekend marks the first big event at the new Ice District Plaza, a two-day tailgating party for the PBR Canada National Finals."

As an aside, the 48,806 attendance was the third-highest attended Men’s National Team match in history. Tuesday will surpass that.

Of note, the US beat Mexico 2-0 in a huge game played in Cincinnati - another city hoping to host World Cup games in 2026. The crowd? 26,000.
Well done, Edmonton and Canada - we will double that on Tuesday.

Between PBR and FIFA there were a lot of visitors out and about Downtown the last couple of days. It would have been nice to have seen something, anything on RHW and area welcoming them or enlivening the area with say a giant soccer ball or inflatable bull. Heck, even some nice Canada flags or something.

DSC00895.JPG

Peter Montopoli takes charge of FIFA World Cup in Canada​

Tuesday a 12-person FIFA inspection team will attend the Canada-Mexico FIFA 2022 World Cup Qualifying game at Commonwealth Stadium

Peter Montopoli takes charge of FIFA World Cup in Canada​

Tuesday a 12-person FIFA inspection team will attend the Canada-Mexico FIFA 2022 World Cup Qualifying game at Commonwealth Stadium

I'm as nervous about the site inspection as I am about the game tomorrow. The possibility of hosting 5 World Cup games including Canada's opening match is just so huge and would be an amazing experience and opportunity.

I love that Montopoli is a big advocate for our city.

Can't wait for the game tomorrow, too. I will be adding at least another layer and pair of socks tomorrow.

I cannot recall.

I brought a blanket to the last game! I had two pairs socks, winter boots, sweatpants under jeans, long sleeve shirt, two sweaters, long winter coat, ear muffs, touque, and blanket and I was still cold last game... might die tonight lol.

Either I had too much to drink at the pre-game to notice, or maybe the lower bowl wasn't as cold as the upper, but I was quite warm all evening, never even had to wear my gloves... Standing the entire game also helps I'm guessing.
I was in the lower bowl for that game and was also quite cozy. I'm sitting in the upper bowl tonight so I'll definitely be wearing my heavier jacket!

Football fans around the world may not have cared much about watching Canada's matches in the past, but I wonder if this is going to be one game people check out from curiosity. Could be Canada's most watched match ever.

Back