News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Canada Soccer

It was revealed that an “economic impact conservatively estimated at $600 million” would be involved.

Along with statements from Wayne Gretzky and Alphonso Davies for our presentation, I love this quote from coach John Herdman:

"Edmonton has been different class. We’ve had the Oilers helping us. We had a message from Wayne Gretzky. The Prime Minister came here to talk to us. Edmonton has just given us so many memories to cherish. These were some of the best moments of my life here and these guys will never forget this. The snow. The crowd. The Mexicans. It’s been brilliant.”

Last edited:
The city has demonstrated it does well with supporting events (soccer particularly). The playing surface will be upgraded so that shouldn't be a concern.

The city appears to be strongly supportive of the big and commonwealth is fantastic. I just hope they don't shy away from us with the lower number of high end hotel rooms being an issue.

Hopefully the stars are aligning that Canada's opening game will be here - just as Alphonso Davies wished when he made the opening statements for the United Bid in Russia 2018 prior to World Cup.
He shared his dream of playing in the World Cup "maybe even in my hometown of Edmonton".

When the FIFA Officials were here earlier this week they talked about that memorable moment when much of the world was introduced to Davies as a 17 year old.

And when Canada was down to 4 bid cities - Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Edmonton and they had to get down to 3 cities for the bid, and then Vancouvef pulled out. And now Montreal has also pulled out and so Canada has 10 games to schedule and down to two cities. And Edmonton proved itself again this past week with big crowds and providijg the setting for two of Canada's biggest wins ever.

Last edited:
Hopefully the stars are aligning that Canada's opening game will be here - just as Alphonso Davies wished when he made the opening statements for the United Bid in Russia 2018 prior to World Cup.
He shared his dream of playing in the World Cup "maybe even in my hometown of Edmonton".

When the FIFA Officials were here earlier this week they talked about that memorable moment when much of the world was introduced to Davies as a 17 year old.

And when Canada was down to 4 bid cities - Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Edmonton and they had to get down to 3 cities for the bid, and then Vancouvef pulled out. And now Montreal has also pulled out and so Canada has 10 games to schedule and down to two cities. And Edmonton proved itself again this past week with big crowds and providijg the setting for two of Canada's biggest wins ever.
Getting 5 games and, especially, the Canadian opening game, could add so much, not only to our economy but to our identity as a city in the 21st century.
We can become Canada's football (or soccer, whatever) capital, solidify Edmonton as a major sports event destination and use it to boost the (VERY) interesting tourist attractions we have.
I'll be a REALLY, REALLY happy man if we get it.

Such a great event. The scene after our first goal against Mexico.

Screenshot_20211117-000914_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
Let's hope that things continue looking and getting better for Edmonton for the World Cup. I said it before but will say it again. I hope that LRT construction can be accelerated so that valley line west and Capital Line to Heritage valley can be ready. Also hopefully the gondola would also be ready for World Cup. Downtown central park as well would be nice to show to the world instead of the sea of empty lots that there is there now. Could World Cup have a similar effect (to a lesser degree) that Rogers place had on downtown?

Let's hope that things continue looking and getting better for Edmonton for the World Cup. I said it before but will say it again. I hope that LRT construction can be accelerated so that valley line west and Capital Line to Heritage valley can be ready. Also hopefully the gondola would also be ready for World Cup. Downtown central park as well would be nice to show to the world instead of the sea of empty lots that there is there now. Could World Cup have a similar effect (to a lesser degree) that Rogers place had on downtown?
I think it can have an even higher impact than Rogers had, considering that just the event, directly, can impact the city's economy in values upwards of 600 million dollars, in 5 weeks.
The overall impact will likely be a lot higher and longer lasting: the international exposure can open the eyes of tourists and immigrants, any extra work done to accelerate the construction of infrastructure will create jobs and put money in the economy... It will also probably be the push we need to finalize the embellishments of some areas, including downtown (all host cities to this kind of thing).
Because Canada is not yet a "soccer nation" and the sport here is not even the in the top 5 for popularity, even those who like it underestimate the potential impacts from hosting a FIFA's Men World Cup. It's the most televised, watched and hyped sports event on Earth, it moves much, much more money than the Olympics. If we play our cards right, this might do for Edmonton's image more than the Olympics did for Calgary

Edmonton Journal editors dropped the ball (no pun intended) on this past week's events. Good thing I ceased to be a subscriber many years ago.

Save your pennies errrr nickels? Canada's next WCQ is January 30th in Hamilton against the Yanks

FFEOYYpXsAUhBFG

Will be an exciting game and weather, again, will be an interesting element. I think tickets will be hard to come by given the stadium holds 23,000 I believe. It will be full and LOUD! Hopefully not too many US fans.

I assume that this is in preparation for a successful FIFA bid and hosting upgrade?
---

Commonwealth Stadium Rehabilitation​

Budget - The project is currently on budget.​

Schedule - The project is more than 20% over its original targeted schedule.​

Scope - The project is within the scope approved in the project charter.​

Description:​

This project is to deliver a major capital rehabilitation project for the Commonwealth Stadium. The project is currently in the Development phase.

Latest Update:​

The project is currently in the Concept Phase. The project schedule is delayed due to the need to reallocate resources to other priority projects for six months, this project has been reinitiated and is progressing.

Contact Information:​

Email: Kurt.Bosch@edmonton.ca
Phone:780-442-0211

Approved Schedule​

March, 2022​

Forecasted Schedule​

December, 2022​

Approved Budget​

$1.1 million​

Forecasted Budget​

$1.1 million​

Back