News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Canada Soccer

Speaking of WEM.... I have a lot of out of town people asking me for things to do between the games. Unfortunately it's the shoulder season where all the summer activities are over but the winter ones haven't started yet. I haven't lived in Edmonton for almost a decade so am a bit out of the loop when it comes things to do in mid November, so other than WEM/Whyte, or breweries/pubs, what else can I suggest that out of towners check out?

Speaking of WEM.... I have a lot of out of town people asking me for things to do between the games. Unfortunately it's the shoulder season where all the summer activities are over but the winter ones haven't started yet. I haven't lived in Edmonton for almost a decade so am a bit out of the loop when it comes things to do in mid November, so other than WEM/Whyte, or breweries/pubs, what else can I suggest that out of towners check out?

Royal Alberta Museum
Telus World of Science
Elk Island National Park
river valley for biking or walking
U of A
breweries/pubs, restaurants and shopping in Old Strathcona, downtown, 124 St, U of A, Highlands, Alberta Ave, Richie...oh yes and WEM
Ice District

If they want to check out Roger's Place, which is definitely worth a visit, they could also get tickets to the PBR (national finals) on Nov 13. Everyone should have a pic by the Gretzky statue, too.

Or take in show at Citadel Theatre

And they can't miss a visit to our new downtown library! 😃

Ooh, and the Muttart Conservatory is also a good option., one of Canada's largest indoor botanical collections in the heart of the river valley, too.

Farmer's Markets downtown (Sat/Sun) or in Old Strathcona (Sat)

Last edited:
Not Canadian soccer but I had the very surreal experience of taking in a game at THE Azteca last night.

Leon beat Cruz Azul 1-nil.

My mom is from a super small town in Portugal. We were at a game where there were probably about 200 spectators... but they had police officers! We asked the guy working the gate why and I guess it’s to protect the refs! Lol

Mexico likely won't be having many riot police at its next home games in January and February for World Cup qualifying.

That's because all fans have been banned by FIFA for two games due to the homophobic chant their crowds have used to taunt opposing teams, primarily the goalkeepers - something that has been going on for years.

One top Mexican official says if their fans can't get their act together it could actually impact Mexico hosting in 2026.

Back