News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.2K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Canada Soccer

EDMONTON 2026

20211116_213953.jpg
20211116_213922.jpg

It was AMAZING! I was right in the southeast lower corner when we had our first goal! A pity that the weather scared off a lot of people and we did't break the Canadian record for attendance (but might have for the coldest football game ever, if we beat -16 with windchills).

Overall, well organized (halftime was a bitch, though), bathrooms were kept very clean and the whole experience of getting there by transit was quite easy and fast. Took us 45 minutes to get from Stony Plain Rd/124 St to be (not so) cozy in our seats.

My take is: is these games didn't show FIFA that we can host a major sports event, and the Canadian Football Association that we're the best place to host Canada's opening game in 2026, I don't know what will. Add in that we'll have at least one more LRT line already operational (and I'm really hopeful that the VLW will be ready too), and we have a very, VERY solid bid.

Maybe another hotel or two pops up as well in the downtown area?
If we get confirmed and, especially, get the five games we might (plus Canada's opening, hopefully), I would say that it is a given. With these many games, the chances of Edmonton hosting:

a) a memorable game between two major contenders;
b) a national team with more media attention.

Increase significantly. That would mean more visitors, staying longer and it will most certainly prompt the addition of a few hotels, from higher end to budget ones. With the action mostly happening around the Stadium and Downtown, I would be on these being build/converted in the DT.

It's all conjecture, but is a lot more possible than people realize.

I bloody hate FIFA and their whiny behaviour over artificial turf... --'
I usually hate people that bitch and moan about having to play on turf constantly, but I have to agree with FIFA here, the WC needs to be on grass (women's should have been as well). The pitch was atrocious for both games, no one had good traction, the ball wouldn't settle down and it's just not ideal. Any other time I don't care, but for this they need it.

Also anyone have any ideas on how to deal with the concourse and stair congestion? Can we build a second level concourse above the 2001 expansion for the upper deck?

Back