News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

U of A real estate

It would be better if it was a bit nicer, but I see the U of A continuing the tradition of functional and cheap here.
Has that really been a U of A trend though? They've had some pretty nice structures erected in the past two decades, even despite the crushing cuts they have faced at times: University Commons, CCIS, Kaye, ECHA, Mazankowski, SUB renos, etc. I guess Saville is nothing special on the outside but they spent the right money inside the facility.

Honestly, the more puzzling part of this entire redevelopment--especially from the U of A--is the lack of any sort of Indigenous inclusion into the project that I've seen so far. And you would think there might be a nod somewhere to the historically international populace that occupied Michener Park previously given it was largely housing for graduate students from out of the country.

I know it's just all very early in its planning stages still (even as dirt is turned as we speak), but so far this couldn't be more of a vanilla development built by a trust with a board of all old vanilla white people.

Yuze guys are stressing out over a place-maker rendering (how Canadian) for UofA lands. The future results will be far removed from the schematic nature of what has presented thus far. Give your head a shake and don't fall for the nega-monsters that feed on thought on this forum.

The University of Alberta has unveiled its new 10-year strategic plan, called Shape, which aims to increase student enrolment by 35% and achieve a top-50 ranking among worldwide research universities. The plan focuses on increasing research funding, expanding its faculty, and prioritizing research areas such as energy and environment, artificial intelligence, and health and wellness. “By 2033 we will be known as a university with transformational impact,” the plan states.
-Taproot

Saw some pics on LinkedIn but no schematics were shown….the typical lineup of dignitaries holding gold painted shovels

The University of Alberta has unveiled its new 10-year strategic plan, called Shape, which aims to increase student enrolment by 35% and achieve a top-50 ranking among worldwide research universities. The plan focuses on increasing research funding, expanding its faculty, and prioritizing research areas such as energy and environment, artificial intelligence, and health and wellness. “By 2033 we will be known as a university with transformational impact,” the plan states.
-Taproot
35% should equate to 35% in new buildings

I don't think that correlation is linear.

I suspect it's probably 25-50% of that at best given efficiency of use.

IMG_1510.png

Well there we have it. Answers why Abbey Lane sold their Abbey Park. Pangman in here should be a good thing.

Just wanted to continue this discussion in the right thread:
If the university is looking at expansion, now would be a great time to explore business and law campuss to downton. The question is, should it be a tower or tradition build forms? A multi-use tower101st-104ave s/e would be a great location for law, business, and student housing. This could spur multi-use (including family housing, rentals, and senior over to north of Roger's...

If incentives are planned, let's give it pertinent rumination to capture all markets' potentials.

It's an interesting point and you have to wonder what the U of A's appetite is for further expansion off main campus. Had the Super Lab been built, expansion of the U into 102 st Centre (and possibly building something vertical above?) to connect to Enterprise Square would have been cool.

Overall though, there have been rumors about the U of A building a new business building for years now and I swear I saw a render of a potential idea to build it on one of the parking lots east of HUB (does anyone else remember seeing something like that?). With Haskayne opening their beautiful new business building this year and MacEwan moving ahead with building theirs, you have to figure the U of A doesn't want to be left behind. I don't see them building it off main campus, however.

Plus replacement of a new Humanities building - the existing one is still scheduled to be knocked down right?

Remaining empty space on the main campus is fairly limited, so it would make sense to consider expanding downtown now, which seems to have a lot of spaces available to develop and is also in fairly close proximity by LRT.

However, of course just because something makes sense doesn't mean it will happen.

Back