News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

U of A real estate

This is new to me. Have others seen this? Looks like a great move!
Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 3.04.42 PM.png

Honestly if they move forward with that project, that'll make campus so much better. I just got back from visiting UBC and I've gotta say, (a bit of a possible controversial take) but our transit hub is better than theirs.

Honestly if they move forward with that project, that'll make campus so much better. I just got back from visiting UBC and I've gotta say, (a bit of a possible controversial take) but our transit hub is better than theirs.
Not too hard considering there is no rail transit to UBC (yet), however when the Broadway Subway finally reaches UBC, I am sure they will have a better hub.

Bravo Edmonton! Some exciting projects lead the way into the future -- real substance for the Urban Design Awards. Thanks @thommyjo for posting the link!

Not too hard considering there is no rail transit to UBC (yet), however when the Broadway Subway finally reaches UBC, I am sure they will have a better hub.
Probably! The issue is how long that would take. West Point Grey is extremely NIMBY and I genuinely have no idea what the timeline for when Broadway reaches UBC. Even then, the changes that this new transit hub has for the UofA still makes it better than what exists at UBC. It's way too plain and sterile there right now in my opinion.

What the?

Fantasia was my goto and such good value and flavour for money.

That's really disappointing given the UofA's commitment to the space.

It begs the question, where is everyone?

Three words: hybrid work arrangements

Should see some of the office floors I’ve been on lately downtown… ghost town of empty work stations, especially on Mondays and Fridays. Know one guy downtown working for a big corp where his arrangement is he only has to come to the office on the first Tuesday of every month. And it’s not for any reason other than to just say they’re not 100% WFH. Guaranteed that company consolidates a lot of office space whenever their lease of their space is up. Can’t really see the situation getting much better unless some big corp relocates downtown and takes up a cool 500,000 sqft…

It’s true, even at the City most business areas that don’t work in a public location only require staff to come in a minimum two days a week. Of course some come in more than that but not the majority.

I can confirm that a significant chunk of GoA branches do something similar, with 3 days in, 2 days home for some departments.

I personally choose to work in office all week, but even in my government associated organization, it’s a similar situation. It’s almost always why Tuesday-Thursday are the busiest in the government district.

I did have some people I know who worked at other non profits such as WCB and some follow that model. While some? Completely transitioned to a WFH model, with some areas only coming in mandated, maybe once a month. I think Blue Cross did something similar, but I’m not too sure.

It’s honestly a big chunk of why (in my opinion), our vibrancy and LRT ridership isn’t as much as it used to be pre-COVID. There has been some push towards getting more in-office time, but for some, WFH is worth getting compensated less pay wise.

That’s my two cents on the matter.

What happened to those hundreds of staff that were going back to Enterprise Square the that U of A and City were both raving about?

This is just one story, but believe it or not I was talking to a guy a few months ago who was not part of this UofA employee group but who was required to come work dt after WFH and I asked about his experience downtown and he said he doesn't leave the office or go to any of the businesses. He is upset about having to work dt and said he purposely will not support any businesses. It wasn't about safety.
This is a rare attitude I hope, but wow.

I told him if you get out and experience different events going on or go on some walks or check out some different eateries you might actually enjoy it more.

His response was, "I'm stubborn."

Back