News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Old Strathcona / Whyte Avenue

the WEM location is Lululemon's largest grossing location out of all of their locations world-wide so it stands to reason that there is where they want to put their money. They are upsizing many of their stores so the Strat store may just be relocating in the same area.

This is the redevelopment of a former Safeway site in Vancouver West/Point Grey on 10th with a lot of similarities to the one on Whyte that could be much more of a mixed-use project. Imagine a few hundred units, townhouses along 83 Avenue and a much more urban form on that corner...

MaVzisCh.jpg

C8tYYvmh.jpg

I walked past this today. All of kits/WPG is a great example to our mature communities/wealthy inner city nimby hot spots of what’s possible. Still lots of 2-12mil homes. But also a ton of 3-6 story projects and things like 4-8plexes. But it doesn’t feel like a downtown, concrete jungle, etc. it feels like a green, beautiful, vibrant community.

Although with the new Jericho and Squamish projects, it will be approaching a more urban feel in a decade. But that’s good for that location with proximity to the beaches, Broadway, DT.

I really see everything north of Southgate mall having this sort of potential. We’re slowly getting there 🙂
This is the redevelopment of a former Safeway site in Vancouver West/Point Grey on 10th with a lot of similarities to the one on Whyte that could be much more of a mixed-use project. Imagine a few hundred units, townhouses along 83 Avenue and a much more urban form on that corner...

MaVzisCh.jpg

C8tYYvmh.jpg

MaVzisCh.jpg

C8tYYvmh.jpg

And imagine paying 800k for a one bedroom...

I can't, but it's all relative.
Yes, it is relative, you take the average house price and divide by around something like 2.5 and that will give you an approximate average condo price..

Someone I know mentioned a few months ago his mom's small old house in Vancouver/Burnaby is worth around 2 million.

I don't know how most people can afford it, but of course a lots that can't or don't want to pay that much are leaving while richer retirees and immigrants replace them.

Its not really a city for the middle class any more, just the affluent.

Which is precisely why projects such as this are so important, given its mix of housing forms, pricing and walkability.

Vanocuver is a nice place to visit, but not to live (unless you make lots of money and/or purchased somewhere to live a least 20 years ago).

What we need to see more of in Edmonton are more developers and builders constructing mid-rise product in mature neighbourhoods (aka everyone's favorite term, MISSING MIDDLE). Most in the development industry here know that the money to be made is in greenfield residential, which is why we have seen most of our residential growth in those new neighbourhoods. However, there has been increasing infill development, however most of that are the so-called 'skinny' houses and the odd duplex or rowhouse. For the city to see more urban 'vibrancy' that we all see in cities like Vancouver or, even, Calgary, then the financial argument needs to be made for developers to construct that mid-rise product in our mature neighbourhoods. If they can make more money developing mainly in the burbs, than nothing will change substantially.

Columbia Avenue is a good example, roughly half-finished. Old Strathcona is heading in that direction. The City should focus on the MAIN STREETS of Alberta Avenue, 124th Street, 107th Avenue, 111th Avenue, 109th Street, 99th Street (South Side) and embark on new projects like 76th Avenue and Stony Plain Road. Lots of potential in this City -- almost makes me giddy.

Luckily Edmonton has very different constraints and pressures than Vancouver - and ones that I think are a lot more feasible to work around from a general planning and development perspective.

Vancouver is just a lost cause when it comes to affordability. Barring complete environmental catastrophe (which is certainly possible), I don't see how affordability ever improves in Van.

Back