7.9K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.9K     0 

Old Strathcona / Whyte Avenue

1714181397459.png

Last edited:
182 people died from toxic drug overdoses in BC in April home of safe consumption sites. How does that help?
87000 people died from cancer in Canada, home of doctors. How does that help?

SCS are one tool in fighting overdose deaths, a vital one proven many times over to save lives. It is NOT a silver bullet that immediately solves all addictions or overdoes deaths. To discount their value based on that metric is disingenuous and an argument made in bad faith. I was just at the Homeless Memorial today where our count of people who died on the street last years was 421, nearly 4x what it was 5 years ago. We have fewer resources, fewer supports, and a higher level of addiction than ever before. The constant shutting down of services for this community is cruel.

SCS are one tool in fighting overdose deaths, a vital one proven many times over to save lives. It is NOT a silver bullet that immediately solves all addictions or overdoes deaths. To discount their value based on that metric is disingenuous and an argument made in bad faith. I was just at the Homeless Memorial today where our count of people who died on the street last years was 421, nearly 4x what it was 5 years ago. We have fewer resources, fewer supports, and a higher level of addiction than ever before. The constant shutting down of services for this community is cruel.
It's also worth noting that nobody has died yet in an AB safe consumption site. You can't treat someone if they died. And in April 2023, Alberta saw 198 overdose deaths; consider the population difference between Alberta and BC too.

Last edited:

I'm will be quoting this cancer/doctor analogy on a regular basis.

If you want to take the cancer analogy further if radiation therapy had the failure rate that SCS they would quickly change strategies.

Announced by Beljan

Back