News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Old Strathcona / Whyte Avenue

Luckily Edmonton has very different constraints and pressures than Vancouver - and ones that I think are a lot more feasible to work around from a general planning and development perspective.

Vancouver is just a lost cause when it comes to affordability. Barring complete environmental catastrophe (which is certainly possible), I don't see how affordability ever improves in Van.
Agree, however an argument could be made that what makes Vancouver so urban and dense is because of very obvious geographical constraints that have forced their hand. Whereas Edmonton, because of the lack of constraints, has created a "free for all" type suburban planning and development strategy that has permeated for decades leading to what it is now. It's only been in recent years that the city has really embraced and started even mentioning "densification". It'll take decades to reverse course sadly.

Dimes to donuts Canadian corporations with foreign clients are buying the units and have some contractual agreements for “rent”.

Some insight in this CBC story with some Statistics Canada info.

Half of all new housing in Vancouver is bought by investors. A good percentage of those are being bought by locals like baby boomers who have accumulated a good deal of wealth as a result of the increasing value of their properties and so they are leveraging that capital to buy additional property for the kids to live in for example.

Unfortunately they don't get into much more of an explanation than that. It's also the conclusion of one of the analysts that building more housing, even below market housing, in Vancouver is going to do nothing to make things more affordable. In fact he didn't have an answer for what would.

The same thing happens in NY, London, Paris, HK... the nature of the top tier beast.

Even New York is modifying their Bylaws to eliminate this trend. Toronto and Vancouver should do the same -- and that trend should definitely not get a foothold in Edmonton (hence the need for awareness).

According to this article, whyte ave is getting a beavertails at 10534. Similarly, 17th Ave in Calgary is also getting a beaver tails. The beavertails website confirms.

The fences are gone so I'm assuming that remediation is completed on the old Shell site.

1694621315441.png

wonder what, if any, correlation could be made between the almost impossible task of finding a true family doctor and the rise of all these medi clinics. I'm 70, my doctor retired last year and I still can't find a doctor that is accepting new patients. (edit:...I live Oliver, there are some doctors in the far flung 'burbs but that's not much help to me. end edit) (edit-edit....sorry for the derail... please continue)

I'm not sure if I like the idea of a medical clinic with a pharmacy. This city is already deluged with them.
It's pretty common practice as of late; likely because it helps offset overhead costs for family doc clinics. Strikes me as a bit of a conflict of interest for the prescribing doctor but realistically if it helps retain/attract family doctors in this province I guess it's a necessary evil until the gov't decides to enhance the compensation scheme.

Back