News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.3K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Neighbourhood Renewal

Been a while since the last update for Malmo Plains and the 115 St SUP. Heading SB from South Campus:

115 St SUP, Lendrum (fully open):
IMG_20220809_164103.jpg

IMG_20220809_164209.jpg

IMG_20220809_164346.jpg

IMG_20220809_164349.jpg

115 St SUP, Malmo (open except a single closure at the south end by the school):
IMG_20220809_164541.jpg

IMG_20220809_164659.jpg

IMG_20220809_164840.jpg

IMG_20220809_164936.jpg

IMG_20220809_164940.jpg

Whitemud Alley SUP, ped overpass (still a lot to do):
IMG_20220809_165027.jpg

IMG_20220809_165142.jpg

IMG_20220809_165138.jpg

IMG_20220809_165242.jpg

IMG_20220809_165345.jpg

Last edited:
Quick update for Garneau 110 St, sidewalks and curbs are in but still awaiting work on the roadway itself, just north of University Ave.
IMG_20220823_191123.jpg

IMG_20220823_191149.jpg

IMG_20220823_191137.jpg

Also passed by the Malmo 115 St SUP last week and it's now fully open, no photos. Bit of progress on the alley SUP too but not too different from my previous update.

115St through Malmo to 51 Ave is being paved this week; the raised crosswalk near the school was also poured recently. Hope it's done soon as you are pretty much forced to detour through the alleys on a bike with the amount of work going on.

I reached out to the city to express my concerns about the lack of active transport connection to link Rail Town Park with the multi-use path that leads to the High Level Bridge. Currently, people coming from the park need to go through a narrow alley to get to the path, and those going from the path towards the park need to make a turn that has very poor sight lines, and thus puts them at risk of being hit by a vehicle.

Facing the alley from 110 st, and facing 110 st from the alley
Jasper Plaza 1.PNGJasper Plaza 2.PNG
Facing the alley from 109 st
Jasper Plaza 3.PNG

In response, they said: "The locations you have indicated as needing a connection to support the existing bike infrastructure are within the Oliver Neighbourhood. The Oliver Neighbourhood is coming to the top of the list for renewal. We do not have firm dates for the start of the planning and design for this area; we will know more in the fall after the 2023-2026 budget discussions.

As part of the renewal for Oliver, the project team will look at any improvements and new connections that are required to promote the active transportation network. I will save the details from your email in a background folder to share with the team once they are formed.""

In response, I forwarded this diagram I found in the ERRS archives - part of a broader plan they had for a High Level Bridge pedestrian corridor from Saskatchewan Drive to Jasper Ave that never fully came to fruition. Hopefully it reaches the proper people, and they can get some ideas from it.

Jasper Plaza.jpg

Except that this portion is owned by Canterra and at one point was going to be a new 3 storey head office, leasable space and CRU.

Jasper Plaza.jpg

Except that this portion is owned by Canterra and at one point was going to be a new 3 storey head office, leasable space and CRU.
Yes, that is partly why the plan never fully came to fruition (but it's cool to know they originally planned for something more there, I always thought they just wanted more parking beside the other building). I'm not expecting anything to happen with that lot, but I do hope that they consider doing more in that area than just extending the path. That alone would be nice, but it'd be lovely to also see improved landscaping, an interpretive feature, etc. Being against a back alley and a parking lot drags the atmosphere of that area down, and little things like that can help to improve it.

Given the land is on a hill. Why not have both and put the 3 story office building below and a plaza on top of the building?

The MUP along 115 St all the way from the alley in Malmo Plains to South Campus is now complete, along with the new traffic calming measures on the re-done street. A pretty drastic difference from the before, which should hopefully make commuting through there a better experience.

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 5.56.08 PM.png

tempImage7JbvQv.png

In other news, the section of the 110 St lane south of 82 Ave is still not done (paving work still doesn't seem to be done on 110 St and 111 St between 82 Ave and University Ave).

The MUP along 115 St all the way from the alley in Malmo Plains to South Campus is now complete, along with the new traffic calming measures on the re-done street. A pretty drastic difference from the before, which should hopefully make commuting through there a better experience.

View attachment 425563
View attachment 425564

In other news, the section of the 110 St lane south of 82 Ave is still not done (paving work still doesn't seem to be done on 110 St and 111 St between 82 Ave and University Ave).
So good to see raised crosswalks becoming standard.

Not sure how I feel about these concrete MUPs though. Often confusing for mode use and creates conflicts for passing. A bike passing 2 people walking or someone with a dog is very uncomfortable in these designs. Not convenient or comfortable for either user.

Is this cheaper? Or I’d imagine saves space vs a true bidirectional bike lane maybe?

I've ridden on some of those trails and feel that the MUP in some neighborhoods will not be used by cyclists. mainly because the lack of vehicle traffic makes the road easier to ride. But if the signage is good and we give time for education we should have no major conflicts. Yah we will always have the few people whether walker or rider that will bitch but most will figure it out ok.

I've ridden on some of those trails and feel that the MUP in some neighborhoods will not be used by cyclists. mainly because the lack of vehicle traffic makes the road easier to ride. But if the signage is good and we give time for education we should have no major conflicts. Yah we will always have the few people whether walker or rider that will bitch but most will figure it out ok.
With regards to the Malmo/South Campus MUP, I am pleasantly surprised by the MUP along the speed bump road behind the UAlberta farm in Lendrum. Much better than navigating the parked cars and speed bumps on the road - hopefully in winter as well as that road can become a mess of ruts and brown sugar.

However, as for the concrete section through Malmo, the road does work just fine as well. I agree @thommyjo - if I am riding above a particular speed or the path is particularly crowded, I will always take the road. If the path is properly cleared in the winter with a traffic signal for crossing 53 Ave, however, that does help the case. It is nice to have the option, in any case. And the traffic calming impacts also help, I'd say.

So many of the southwest suburbs have collector roads that are just SO wide, so hopefully we start seeing more of this as neighborhood renewal continues into them (Greenfield and Blue Quill hopefully next). I'm pretty tired of fearing for my life whenever I go for a run around a neighborhood.... I'd reckon that I feel less safe than when I go cycling sometimes.

Going through Blue Quill/Greenfield/Royal Gardens/Malmo/Lendrum towards South Campus is a good bypass route for commuting from the south to avoid the 111 St MUP. Less traffic and you don't need to cross the tracks multiple times... hopefully the city keeps improving cycling infrastructure along the way.

Last edited:
First time poster long time lurker. Very happy with the new MUP up 115th St. My only gripe is they should have put the street on a road diet (instantly will slow down cars) and use some of that space for the MUP instead of paving all grass area.

With regards to the Malmo/South Campus MUP, I am pleasantly surprised by the MUP along the speed bump road behind the UAlberta farm in Lendrum. Much better than navigating the parked cars and speed bumps on the road - hopefully in winter as well as that road can become a mess of ruts and brown sugar.

However, as for the concrete section through Malmo, the road does work just fine as well. I agree @thommyjo - if I am riding above a particular speed or the path is particularly crowded, I will always take the road. If the path is properly cleared in the winter with a traffic signal for crossing 53 Ave, however, that does help the case. It is nice to have the option, in any case. And the traffic calming impacts also help, I'd say.

So many of the southwest suburbs have collector roads that are just SO wide, so hopefully we start seeing more of this as neighborhood renewal continues into them (Greenfield and Blue Quill hopefully next). I'm pretty tired of fearing for my life whenever I go for a run around a neighborhood.... I'd reckon that I feel less safe than when I go cycling sometimes.

Going through Blue Quill/Greenfield/Royal Gardens/Malmo/Lendrum towards South Campus is a good bypass route for commuting from the south to avoid the 111 St MUP. Less traffic and you don't need to cross the tracks multiple times... hopefully the city keeps improving cycling infrastructure along the way.
Yeah. The best part about MUPs and bike lanes, even in quieter suburbs, is they provide a safe option for winter riding (walking, wheelchairs, scooters) if they’re cleared. Quiet streets don’t offer that, even if decent in terms of vehicle traffic and speeds.

So I support building out the network! Even if they just marked MUPs better or offered the bidirectional markings. I’m a frequent rider and get confused all the time in new areas by the randomness of our infrastructure.

The Dutch red paths make me so jealous…

Back