News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.3K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Neighbourhood Renewal

Rode through 110 St and 88 Ave in Garneau yesterday and can report that the cycle tracks were fully swept (just waiting on road markings):

NB 110 St at 76 Ave (Project 31)
View attachment 391777

NB 110 St at 77 Ave (Project 31)
View attachment 391778

NB 110 St at University Ave (Project 31)
View attachment 391779

NB 110 St at 80 Ave (Project 32, to be reconstructed)
View attachment 391780

NB 110 St at Whyte Ave (Project 32, to be reconstructed)
View attachment 391781

NB 110 St at 84 Ave (Project 31)
View attachment 391782

NB 110 St at 86 Ave (Project 30)
View attachment 391783

NB 110 St at 88 Ave (Project 30)
View attachment 391784

EB 88 Ave (Project 30)
View attachment 391785

WB 88 Ave (Project 30)
View attachment 391786
View attachment 391787

SB 110 St at 87 Ave (Project 30)
View attachment 391788

SB 110 St at 76 Ave (Project 31)
View attachment 391789
I'm loving all the pictures, thank you! And congrats on not getting blown over by the wind :p

Construction Update - April 2022​

2022 Garneau Neighbourhood Renewal construction is scheduled to start in May 2022. Construction will consist of the removal and replacement of public sidewalk, curb, gutter, and street lighting, as well as reconstruction and paving of roads. Please view this scope map to see the 2022 project area.

For those who live in the 2021 construction areas , the remaining landscaping work is scheduled to start at the same time as this year’s construction. Landscaping work is highly dependent on weather and sod availability.

Check out the links below to prepare for construction:

The City of Edmonton and EPCOR are working together to construct Low Impact Development (LID), which will help with stormwater retention and help mitigate flooding.

Please watch your mailbox for construction bulletins that will provide more information along with details on landscaping and access. For special concerns or access requirements, such as DATS, please contact the Construction Project Manager, Ikenna Uju at 780-508-9412.

We are pleased to report that with the completion of the 2021 work, Garneau remains on schedule with a planned completion in November 2023. The City would like to thank the residents and property owners of Garneau for their patience as we make these improvements to the neighbourhood.

Ottwell renewal draft design

Roads survey and open spaces survey - Both close on January 14

I love the pocket parks and the amount of shared use paths, and it includes a map of the proposed shared-use paths (which are planed to be used instead of bike lanes). This map has an emphasis on some specific roads, but the shared-use paths will be wherever the red lines are - including "bike routes on main roads".
View attachment 374477

Project Update - May 2022​

Work is continuing on Ottewell’s Neighbourhood Renewal.

Thank you to everyone who engaged with us during the Community Feedback on Draft Design stage of the project.

The project team is reviewing all of the feedback provided, along with technical information and City policies and programs, for consideration in the development of the final design, which will be shared for feedback in the fall of 2022.

For more information:

1. Review the Draft Design
  2. Learn about the Ottewell Cost-sharing Opportunities

Update on Decorative Street Lights​

Standard street lights will be replaced as part of the Neighbourhood Renewal process. However, property owners in each neighbourhood undergoing renewal will have the opportunity to upgrade to their communities choice of decorative street lights through a community -initiated Local Improvement process.

The Ottewell Decorative Lighting Committee was created and collected with community input on which decorative street lighting option to submit for consideration. The selected option submitted to the City was Standard Street Light - Powder Coated Black. This would apply to parts of the neighbourhood that have street lights with an arm, as well as those parts in the east side of the neighbourhood that have post-top style lights.

In summer 2022, the City will send an Expression of Interest (EOI) package containing estimated costs asking registered property owners to indicate whether or not they support the decorative street light Local Improvement and return the EOI to the City by fall 2022.

honestly, this looks pretty decent to me! I think the 110 street option will be quite serviceable; 109 needs to loose a lane and get some better sidewalks, but that's a separate, much bigger battle i think. I really hope the 110 street lane is a proper, bi-directional lane with room to pass etc as opposed to the split-direction setups. Really glad this area is seeing some maitenance! it's much too shabby for the vibrancy and private investment it's seeing. Thanks for sharing!
88 ave and 109 st seen today.

20220527_132104.jpg
20220527_132115.jpg
20220527_132120.jpg
20220527_132128.jpg

Work is also progressing at around 80 Ave, but the 110 st bike lane has not been started yet. It'll be wonderful to have bike-triggered traffic lights at 82nd Ave, crossing it was really sketchy today since the lane closest to me was backed up, so I couldn't really tell if any vehicles were coming in the other lane until I was already crossing.

88 Ave and 109 turned out really nice, it was long, long overdue. Now, for that portion of the MUP heading to the High Level Bridge....
I'm glad the city is taking charge of that instead of the High Level Line people; I trust the former to actually try and safely integrate the streetcar and pedestrian modes. Once it's all said and done, that will be one heck of an area for pedestrians, cyclists, and tourists alike!

...High Level Line... ...just when my blood pressure was settling down that nonsense gets brought up... eugh

lol. I HAVE A BIT OF NEWS. but no pictures. because phone camera is still shattered. anyways.
124 St renewal has started. The city docs are a bit contradictory with the Nov 2019 info sheet being rather dour, with a 'we-can't-change-anything' attitude and the final, feb 2022 report being more pedestrian-minded, adding in bus bays, curb extensions, and better consideration to pedestrians. and the streetscape, as opposed to car throughput. I'd type all my excited thoughts about how happy i am about these new goals but that'd be preaching to the choir here, so instead I'll share the best map of the work i can find. It's the construction phasing map, but it appears to show bus bays (the long rectangles) and a few curb extensions, both into 124 and onto sidestreets (namely 113 and 117 ave, but in other places as well). construction has started, and should be done by fall 2023. VERY EXCITED!
also, back to being sad about not getting pictures; they are digging up the streetcar rail-ties that have been under the road for the past 70 years. they are badly rotted and surely soaking in creosote. my inner hoarder still wants one. the piles were near 115 ave if anyone is interested.

No photos this time, but I've been passing through 110 St in Garneau every week on the commute to the office. The remaining section Project 32 is now full steam ahead with all the roads closed except for local traffic and construction equipment busy on site. They also added the cycle track markings which were missing on the completed section Project 35.

No photos this time, but I've been passing through 110 St in Garneau every week on the commute to the office. The remaining section Project 32 is now full steam ahead with all the roads closed except for local traffic and construction equipment busy on site. They also added the cycle track markings which were missing on the completed section Project 35.
I biked north on 110 st yesterday, and took some pics.

The bike lane between 76 ave and University Ave is nearly complete, aside from the road markings.
bike lane 2.jpg
bike lane 1.jpg
bike lane 3.jpg

Between University Ave and 81 Ave, 100 St is all torn up.
bike lane 5.jpg

From 81 Ave to Whyte Ave, it's... blech. Construction there hasn't started yet, it's just gross as it is haha.
bike lane 6.jpg

Crossing Whyte, there is no bike signal yet. And between Whyte and 83 Ave, 100 St just has the old painted, and very pot-holed, bike lane.
bike lane 8.jpg

bike lane 7.jpg
bike lane 9.jpg

But soon, we'll have this beauty all the way from 76th Ave to Sask Drive!!
bike lane 10.jpg

In fact, the city's bike map is already updated to show that!
Bike Lanes.PNG

Attachments

• bike lane 4.jpg
    bike lane 4.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I biked north on 110 st yesterday, and took some pics.

The bike lane between 76 ave and University Ave is nearly complete, aside from the road markings.
View attachment 406361View attachment 406360View attachment 406359

Between University Ave and 81 Ave, 100 St is all torn up.
View attachment 406357

From 81 Ave to Whyte Ave, it's... blech. Construction there hasn't started yet, it's just gross as it is haha.
View attachment 406356

Crossing Whyte, there is no bike signal yet. And between Whyte and 83 Ave, 100 St just has the old painted, and very pot-holed, bike lane.
View attachment 406354
View attachment 406355View attachment 406353

But soon, we'll have this beauty all the way from 76th Ave to Sask Drive!!
View attachment 406352

In fact, the city's bike map is already updated to show that!
View attachment 406365

Thanks for posting. So south of 76 Ave there is no infrastructure then?

Thanks for posting. So south of 76 Ave there is no infrastructure then?
That's correct; it's a dead end south of 76th Ave, and they don't have bike lanes on any of the adjacent streets.
Screenshot_20220610-125505_Maps.jpg

Back