2.5K     0 

Neighbourhood Renewal

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Strathcona community, U of A students talk renewing neighbourhood streets
Strathcona community reps and University of Alberta students have joined forces to get a head start on plans to improve the neighbourhood’s streetscape.

The Strathcona Centre Community League and the four U of A students held an open house Monday to get public input on plans to fix the neighbourhood’s streets through the Neighbourhood Renewal Program.

Strathcona is slated to receive millions of dollars from the city come 2019, when the neighbourhood’s streets and sidewalks will be revitalized.

The partnership with the U of A is separate from the city-led renewal process. The league will use the students’ plans when it engages with Edmonton officials later this year.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmont...ona-community-u-of-a-talk-renew-edmonton.html

stqXrO5nB0mKyrVuXs6zRIEc35OMIZ_Il-HcCvQBiru3B8zHzqh3629Olsxd3WjVdOlVotYHXYz7uuVl4D9MwYfyzgjOhN8R9L86nLtuaykV7YhxOZ211ZItG66rd2osA0X9q6OFUivMcvR7M0MsrzSGG5o=s0-d-e1-ft

Petrolia Streetscape Enhancements Open House
April 6, 2017

The City of Edmonton is holding an open house for residents
of Greenfield, Aspen Gardens and Royal Gardens. The purpose of this event is to collect input from the community to discuss possible streetscape enhancements to the public space around Petrolia Mall.

Date: Thursday, April 13, 2017
Time: 6 p.m. - 9 p.m.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/petroliastreetscape

Media contact:
Lesley Vaage
Communications Advisor
780-495-0651

RENEWING COMMUNITY
Using a major construction project to reconnect the neighbourhood.

Queen Alexandra has grown along with Edmonton.
Once a part of the former City of Strathcona, it hit its highest period of growth in the 1960s with single detached homes taking up the majority of builds. But today, the neighbourhood is slowly filling in with condos, low rise apartments and infill properties meant to increase density beyond single-family homes. As the new buildings go up, people move in — and repairing roads for what the neighbourhood used to be no longer made sense to its residents.

“We shouldn’t be designing it for ‘like for like,’ but for what our community needs now, and what our community needs 50 years from now,” says Julie Kusiek, Queen Alexandra resident and founder of QA Crossroads, a committee of the Queen Alex Community League.

https://edmontonquotient.com/2017/04/10/renewing-community/

Sidewalks no joke: City crews begin work to renew ‘wretched’ paths
Residents in Strathearn won’t have to “joke about how bad the sidewalks are,” says a community rep, as city crews undertake several renewal projects across Edmonton this summer.

“New sidewalks are important in terms of usability,” said Jenny McAlister, president of the Strathearn Community League. “It’ll just be much easier for everyone to move around, especially for people with mobility challenges in our community.”

City council green lit funding Tuesday for crews to “construct, finance and assess” sidewalks in seven neighbourhoods this year.

The city will borrow about $15 million for renewals in Kilkenny, Strathearn, Belgravia, McKernan, Belmead, Hillview and Montrose. Funding is split 50-50, as this year’s tax increase pays for half while property owners living in communities pay for the other portion.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmont...renewal-strathearn-mckernan-city-council.html

Renewal work will start in Garneau this spring, with completion estimated for 2022. The plan is very comprehensive, encompassing roads, bike lanes, sidewalks, multiuse paths, and parks and green spaces. Advocates had wanted protected bike lanes to be installed on 109th street from 88th to 76th avenues, but the Urban Planning Committee rejected this proposal. They argued that the busy nature of 109th street would be too intimidating for many inexperienced riders. Instead, protected bike lanes will still stretch from 76th to 88th aves, but along 110th street instead of 109th.

BikeLaneMap.PNG

honestly, this looks pretty decent to me! I think the 110 street option will be quite serviceable; 109 needs to loose a lane and get some better sidewalks, but that's a separate, much bigger battle i think. I really hope the 110 street lane is a proper, bi-directional lane with room to pass etc as opposed to the split-direction setups. Really glad this area is seeing some maitenance! it's much too shabby for the vibrancy and private investment it's seeing. Thanks for sharing!

honestly, this looks pretty decent to me! I think the 110 street option will be quite serviceable; 109 needs to loose a lane and get some better sidewalks, but that's a separate, much bigger battle i think. I really hope the 110 street lane is a proper, bi-directional lane with room to pass etc as opposed to the split-direction setups. Really glad this area is seeing some maitenance! it's much too shabby for the vibrancy and private investment it's seeing. Thanks for sharing!
The document does specify the directions for each stretch of bike lane, and I think it's all going to be bidirectional rather than split! And I agree, I'd rather the bike lanes be on 109th since that corridor is far too car-centric imo, but 110th is still nice and close. A one street difference isn't a huge deal.

On the topic of 109th, you should check out Envision 109 if you haven't already :)

Ottwell renewal draft design

Roads survey and open spaces survey - Both close on January 14

I love the pocket parks and the amount of shared use paths, and it includes a map of the proposed shared-use paths (which are planed to be used instead of bike lanes). This map has an emphasis on some specific roads, but the shared-use paths will be wherever the red lines are - including "bike routes on main roads".
Ottwell Proposed Bike Network.png

Last edited:
Ottwell renewal draft design

Roads survey and open spaces survey - Both close on January 14

I love the pocket parks and the amount of shared use paths, and it includes a map of the proposed shared-use paths (which are planed to be used instead of bike lanes). This map has an emphasis on some specific roads, but the shared-use paths will be wherever the red lines are - including "bike routes on main roads".
View attachment 374477
Still not sure how I feel about our lack of seperated bike infastruxture in neighbourhoods. Without it, young kids aren't as safe and winter maintenance is non existent. But I understand the hesitation to invest in build it where roads are already slow, quiet, and not busy.

Anyone have thoughts on this? We all know how bad sharrows are haha. But I can hear the complaints about curbs/planters being installed

Still not sure how I feel about our lack of seperated bike infastruxture in neighbourhoods. Without it, young kids aren't as safe and winter maintenance is non existent. But I understand the hesitation to invest in build it where roads are already slow, quiet, and not busy.

Anyone have thoughts on this? We all know how bad sharrows are haha. But I can hear the complaints about curbs/planters being installed
My hometown has over 70km of multi-use paths, and they are very safe and well maintained. Their width allows more than enough space for people to pass one-another, and I rode on them a lot as a kid. When I visit, I see lots of kids and families using them, and this network puts the city in a good spot to encourage multi-modal transportation methods (if only they'd add more bike racks/lockers). So although I'm all for more bike lanes, I think multi-use paths are a nice compromise in quieter neighbourhoods. They're much better than sharrows or painted bike lanes. And I'm glad that the city is adding multi-use paths in these projects (see the Yellowhead expansion as another example) instead of just adding wider sidewalks. SUPs encourage more "intense" uses like bike commuting in a way that wide sidewalks still don't.

Back