7.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.8K     0 

Miscellaneous

IMG_1992.png

“Breeze” in Clareview…..not sure why it says St.Albert though

Alcove Custom Homes has applied to rezone a lot in the McKernan neighbourhood at the corner of 114 Street and 76 Avenue to allow for a residential building of up to six storeys with commercial uses at ground level. During public engagement, some residents said the development will exacerbate traffic and parking congestion. Others, meanwhile, said the proposed building is across the street from the McKernan-Belgravia LRT station, so new residents could live without depending on a car.

Alcove Custom Homes has applied to rezone a lot in the McKernan neighbourhood at the corner of 114 Street and 76 Avenue to allow for a residential building of up to six storeys with commercial uses at ground level. During public engagement, some residents said the development will exacerbate traffic and parking congestion. Others, meanwhile, said the proposed building is across the street from the McKernan-Belgravia LRT station, so new residents could live without depending on a car.

Horrific to have something built in your neighbourhood so attractive that it attracts VISITORS. The horror. The congestion... /s

Horrific to have something built in your neighbourhood so attractive that it attracts VISITORS. The horror. The congestion... /s
Having said this, some of the driving behaviours around rush hour at that 76 Ave and 115 St intersection in Belgravia is absolutely shocking. On multiple occasions during my bike commute home, I've seen people drive in the oncoming lanes when the traffic is at a standstill. That 115 St and University Ave intersection is an absolute gongshow as well around certain times (it only took a week to have an incident there and I now avoid it like the plague - pedestrian crossing here is also quite dicey). I'm not really sure if there is a solution.

Having said this, some of the driving behaviours around rush hour at that 76 Ave and 115 St intersection in Belgravia is absolutely shocking. On multiple occasions during my bike commute home, I've seen people drive in the oncoming lanes when the traffic is at a standstill. That 115 St and University Ave intersection is an absolute gongshow as well around certain times (it only took a week to have an incident there and I now avoid it like the plague - pedestrian crossing here is also quite dicey). I'm not really sure if there is a solution.
I believe you. However, fighting community-scale retail will do nothing to address rush hour congestion. Although, walkable amenities near rapid transit will create an alternative to adding to traffic with another car.

Last edited:
I believe you. However, fighting community-scale retail will do nothing to address rush hour congestion. However, walkable amenities near rapid transit will create an alternative to adding to traffic with another car.
I cannot fathom how someone would want to sit in congestion at a standstill for hours, but perhaps that is just me. Hopefully, as time passes, more people will shift towards other modes of transport (or stop shortcutting through neighbourhoods). Tangential, but that street-level crossing of University Ave of the LRT really messed a lot of things up, I think.

Tangential, but that street-level crossing of University Ave of the LRT really messed a lot of things up, I think.
It for sure did and it's been discussed lots and there's supposedly still future considerations to change it from being at-grade.

Sometimes I also wonder in retrospect if the better idea would have been closing 76th ave and keeping 74th and 78th ave acesses open instead. Only one access point to the whole neighbourhood from the south without having to cross the tracks on University Ave was not great planning. I also understand though that the City was terrified of making Belgravia a shortcut again (RIP Keillor Road).

Intersection .png

This lot was just demo'd last fall but as a different project than the one @gronk just listed.

Yeah, speaking as a resident of the area, it's an assured daily occurrence. That being said, I don't think commercial space in McKernan/Belgravia is gonna change the habits of people who want to get on the Whitemud faster. I would bet 95% of the congestion is passing through with very little originating in the neighbourhood.

Closing off the University Ave crossing to vehicles would solve alot of the congestion problems in this area.
On the pedestrian side, I wonder if a pedestrian overpass would at all be feasible near the tracks, or somewhere similar to continue on the multiuse path beside the retaining wall. With the apartments being built there, pedestrian traffic will likely increase, and that light takes forever to change.

Back