News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

They say they are not a department store. But I agree they have many similar features to a department store.
I don't think they sell vacuum cleaners, fridges and TV's, so I think there is some merit to their argument. However, they do have a quite a variety of clothing similar to other stores that are department stores. Whatever they are, it seems to be working better than for some others.

I think they realized early on how Edmonton was being neglected or under served by other big name stores, like Holts, Nordstrom and now even the Bay, so there perhaps there is more room for them here than some other similar sized or larger cities.

Nordstroms has gone out of business internationally and so is not represented in any cities anywhere (due to the general retail malaise) and the Bay and its subsidiaries have closed outlets across the broad retail spectrum (same reason) and Holts is a specialty clothing store that, too, is having market difficulties.

Nordstroms has gone out of business internationally and so is not represented in any cities anywhere (due to the general retail malaise) and the Bay and its subsidiaries have closed outlets across the broad retail spectrum (same reason) and Holts is a specialty clothing store that, too, is having market difficulties.
Nordstrom still has almost 350 stores in the United States.

^^^^ Right -- intended to type "nationally" (all of Canada) but my fingers disobeyed. Nonetheless Nord is also closing a number of U.S. stores in a reorganization effort -- tough, tough times for retail. I have already witnessed closures in SoCal where I live.

^^^^ Right -- intended to type "nationally" (all of Canada) but my fingers disobeyed. Nonetheless Nord is also closing a number of U.S. stores in a reorganization effort -- tough, tough times for retail. I have already witnessed closures in SoCal where I live.
Nordstrom, like Target, is another retailer that tossed Canadian operations overboard in order to focus on fixing big issues in the home market--rather than investing the time and money needed to right the ship up here.

The problem is that going forward, this makes them purely a domestic play with little opportunity for growth beyond. Target in particular (and to a lesser extent Nordstrom) seems to be coming up against the limits of what growth they can achieve in the U.S. market.

Nordstrom, like Target, is another retailer that tossed Canadian operations overboard in order to focus on fixing big issues in the home market--rather than investing the time and money needed to right the ship up here.

The problem is that going forward, this makes them purely a domestic play with little opportunity for growth beyond. Target in particular (and to a lesser extent Nordstrom) seems to be coming up against the limits of what growth they can achieve in the U.S. market.
except that canada is not as attractive an addition to a pure domestic play as you’re implying. our population is only 11.5% of their domestic market and doesn’t offer inroads to any other (unlike europe or se asia). we’re also an extremely large country with large distances between most metropolitan areas except perhaps for southern ontario and quebec making distribution time consuming and expensive. the larger the operation, the more difficult the logistics and then you can layer unfavourable exchange rates into the equation. the canadian dollar was at par when nordstrom announced its canadian expansion in 2012 vs today at 74 cents.

Lots of US companies are attracted to Canada because it is close and a lot of things seem similar, but perhaps it is not quite so easy.

There are entrenched Canadian companies that understand the nuances of our country and culture better. For every Walmart success there it seems there is a KMart, Target or now Nordstrom.

Yes, market and country size are issues too, but I also feel Nordstrom was also a bit pretentious for Canadian taste in general. I was quite disappointed when I visited it in Calgary some years ago and never bothered to go again.

Lots of US companies are attracted to Canada because it is close and a lot of things seem similar, but perhaps it is not quite so easy.

There are entrenched Canadian companies that understand the nuances of our country and culture better. For every Walmart success there it seems there is a KMart, Target or now Nordstrom.

Yes, market and country size are issues too, but I also feel Nordstrom was also a bit pretentious for Canadian taste in general. I was quite disappointed when I visited it in Calgary some years ago and never bothered to go again.
I was deeply disappointed when Nordstrom made the decision in 2018 not to take the vacant Sears space at Southgate. I thought it was a loss for Edmonton that we only got a Rack and not a full-line Nordstrom department store--particularly since there are so few retailers left that would be interested in a space of 150,000-200,000 square feet in a shopping mall. But now we know that Nordstrom Canada was delivering poor results for its parent and the decision had apparently already been made not to dive any deeper into the Canadian market.

We did visit the Rack at SEC a couple of times and were quite unimpressed so never went back.

The biggest single thing Walmart did right was to take over Woolco Canada as a going concern--management, staff, fulfillment. Target bought the leases only and stupidly allowed HBC to liquidate Zellers--which meant that Target had to turn around and set everything up all over again. This proved an impossible task in the time frame Target Corp. had established for profitability.

Reference ID:Job No 468724408-002
Description:Exterior Alteration
Plan B2 Blk 6 Lots 173-175
Applicant:HAYWARD, LONNY
Create Date:4/8/2023 1:14:36 PM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

Reference ID:Job No 468679310-002
Description:Interior Alteration
Plan 8221723 Lot C
Applicant:KASIAN ARCHITECTURE INTERIOR DESIGN AND PLANNING
Create Date:4/6/2023 3:41:15 PM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

The biggest single thing Walmart did right was to take over Woolco Canada as a going concern--management, staff, fulfillment. Target bought the leases only and stupidly allowed HBC to liquidate Zellers--which meant that Target had to turn around and set everything up all over again. This proved an impossible task in the time frame Target Corp. had established for profitability.
One thing we have to remember is from the moment that Target announced their entry to Canada, Walmart did everything they could to make it as difficult as possible for their major competition to enter the market easily.

Back