News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

I saw an article / blurb thingy on LinkedIn yesterday about "Great Gulf" and how successful their "11th and 11th" project in the City of Cows is. Then underneath is says, "we have big plans for ALBERTA in 2023.....," without listing any details. Hotel Mac site and what other property do they have here?

Can't find the story but will post if I do....

Their Mac site/project is dead and was listed.

I saw an article / blurb thingy on LinkedIn yesterday about "Great Gulf" and how successful their "11th and 11th" project in the City of Cows is. Then underneath is says, "we have big plans for ALBERTA in 2023.....," without listing any details. Hotel Mac site and what other property do they have here?

Can't find the story but will post if I do....
I've noticed some people from that area are very geographically challenged and don't realize there is more than one city over a million in Alberta.

Perhaps they really mean just a city, not a province, but hey saying a province sounds more impressive.

I kinda liked that one:)
EV-View-Facing-North-East.jpg

Bit of an update on this one:

Bit of an update on this one:

I really like the trend of major construction companies moving into offices along calgary trail. They are prominent contributors to the Edmonton economy and are better showcased along the entrance/exit to the city as opposed to being in industrial parks off the beaten path.

I really like the trend of major construction companies moving into offices along calgary trail. They are prominent contributors to the Edmonton economy and are better showcased along the entrance/exit to the city as opposed to being in industrial parks off the beaten path.
Agreed! Nice cluster of notable firms

Last edited:
Nordstrom is a killer store and a real loss for those that shop that.
Nordstrom does have a good reputation in the U.S. and I remember the service being outstanding when I visited full-line stores Nordstrom stores in Seattle and Tukwila.
It's still difficult to believe that only one of their stores in Canada (Pacific Centre) made any money. How they couldn't make a success in Yorkdale, Canada's #1 fashion mall, I'll never know. (Their other locations were iffy but Yorkdale is outstanding real estate.)

I prefer Simons - Canadian, more affordable options and more home stuff.
I think a lot of people here would agree with you. Indeed, Edmonton is the only city outside Quebec which supports more than one Simons store (even Calgary, the GTA and Vancouver have only one each, though I expect Simons to snap up Nordstrom's Yorkdale space when it becomes available).

Simons is also a rare good news story in the department store world: it's actually growing (a new store in Halifax opens next year, which will finally take the chain coast to coast).

I think a lot of people here would agree with you. Indeed, Edmonton is the only city outside Quebec which supports more than one Simons store (even Calgary, the GTA and Vancouver have only one each, though I expect Simons to snap up Nordstrom's Yorkdale space when it becomes available).

Simons is also a rare good news story in the department store world: it's actually growing (a new store in Halifax opens next year, which will finally take the chain coast to coast).
They say they are not a department store. But I agree they have many similar features to a department store.

They say they are not a department store. But I agree they have many similar features to a department store.
Regardless of how the company defines itself, I think most people would view it as a department store. Its locations are too large and have too many sub-categories to be viewed as just a clothing store. Plus they aren't just an apparel retailer anyway, as they do have homewares and jewellery departments. Simons also functions as an anchor, like Hudson's Bay, in many shopping centres.

You could also start to debate the issue of whether a store like Hudson's Bay is a department store any longer, as it has been shedding product lines and departments for years in order to devote space to apparel and softlines. I think it's safest just to say that if it quacks like a duck, it probably is one.

Maybe the theatre was just behind (north) of Eatons?
The Londonderry Famous Players was located under the former Safeway, which is now occupied by Winners. There are still concrete steps leading down to it, but the last time I was there it was fenced off. The cinemas were taken over by a church for awhile. Directly to the south of the staircase leading down to the former theatres are concrete stairs leading UP to what is now service doors to the mall (no longer a public entrance). This used to be an entrance to Eaton's, in its first location in the mall. In the early 1990s Eaton's opened a new location in the mall (part of which is now occupied by the future No Frills). The original Eaton's is now part of the mall corridor.

View attachment 453859
This is how I remember the Old Londonderry Mall in the 70's. Does anyone remember the yellow and orange felted walls of the "tunnel / hallway" that ran from to theatre (where Save-On is now) and from where I don't remember?

1996 Aliens - was the last time I was at the theatre......think it closed shortly after.
Yep. I remember going there as a kid...seeing all the Disney movies there. You are correct about the corridor. There was a tunnel that led from the mall common area just outside the original food court, into the theatre. It allowed patrons to exit from the theatre into the mall. I think any traffic was just one way because there was only a single ticket booth, which was located at the outside entrance to the theatres, down the exterior staircase on the west side of (then) Safeway.

Back