News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

The 2 salons next door will be shadowed nicely. And they finally finished rebuilding that old church to the west.

Was at LaRonde last night, the place was packed but the hotel and elevator looked very tired and out of date.
Was it just completely forgotten about, does the owner just not care? I am wondering if someone is just putting off spending anything on this place in the hopes of selling it soon.

I realize with some new hotels downtown, it is more competitive, but that should be even more reason to up their game and not just give up. It is kind of sad to see what was once one of Edmonton's better hotels slide like this.

It's a shame (given the popularity of Mad Men/era) that they didn't go back to the original look.

Distinctive, elegant and you can create food/bev around it.

Distinctive and elegant i.e. understated 1960s elegance is simply not in the equation - the current owners think along different lines -e.g. re-cladding the hotel in the national colours of Serbia because that is where you immigrated from.

I don't wanna believe that this is true but I can't unsee it now 😭

Taken May 20, 2022
Progress on Gateway Blvd.
20220520_213431.jpg
20220520_213455.jpg

There are also plenty of footings/foundations just waiting for the steel to go up.

château Lacombe was a recent purchase for them wasn’t it? If you had a very large hotel chain I’m sure you’d be hesitant to do a bunch of capital improvements during a pandemic too! Lol. Imagine their occupancy rates 2020… But not finishing those last few panels of the exterior seems inexcusable.

I don't know when it was purchased by the current owners, but this property has languished for some time before COVID. I was a premiere downtown hotel for many years and if it is to get back to that, some money will need to be spent.

If not, it will really struggle with low occupancy while most of the better paying customers go to the flashier newer hotels and the older ones that have been better kept up.

Ian is correct, it actually does have the possibility to be quite distinctive and elegant with some effort. It is like the dull penny that needs some polishing up. Maybe the current (or past) owners don't quite get that this is not a suburban Holiday Inn.

ATCO Tower
Reference ID: Job No 434377322-002
Description: Alteration of (an) existing building(s), Exterior Alteration
Plan NB Blk 4 Lots 59-60
Applicant: ALCON GLASS LTD.
Create Date: 5/21/2022 10:31:22 PM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Back