News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

How is this "classic"?

That they are always "sneaky"? I don't think so, I think the City is generally pretty transparent about things (sometimes too much so)

That they are always "demolishing historical buildings"? Again, I don't think so? Certainly private land owners seem to be a whole lot worse in this area than the city government.

That they are doing something contrary to a public campaign? Again, how is this "classic"? City is pretty onboard with a lot of public campaigns.

To an observer of the city administration, this just seems like a hollow accusation that detracts from your important point about saving this unique structure.
I don’t know what Okhi’s proposal contained, or what the financial/other commitments required by the City would be for the proposal, but the article frames it very much as the City had little-to-no interest in anything beyond flattening the structure with a track hoe, and did so without much communication to interested potential stakeholders.

Feels to me a lot like what happened with the old arena. They ran an open RFP, but iirc there were a lot of concerns over the fine print in the RFP over intellectual property of the submitted proposals that likely scared off a lot of seriously interested parties (see https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/...s-redevelopment-city-of-edmonton.25118/page-8). In the end, seems like admin just wants to demo it as well and wash their hands of it rather than seriously consider other options. That’s what feels like classic CoE to me here

I also openly admit I have a bone to pick with a lot of the things/ways the City admin does and can be overly critical. Is it all warranted? Probably not. But I’m certainly not going to sit here and cheerlead their decisions, either. At the end of the day, this is an internet forum I post on largely while taking a 💩 - take everything I write here with a grain of salt (or toilet paper) and nothing as anything more than that. There’s a reason I don’t post here under my real name (albeit it’s likely not hard to figure out who I am)

Those houses to the north were never City-owned, Westrich purchased them from the previous owners to demolish and construct their Grandin 4 project.
Oh are we just talking city owned? Like the house on 103 St and 98 Ave just demolished this week. It was probably close to 100 years old and will just add to the large number empty lots in the areas (nothing built here in the last two years, but at least a half a dozen older houses torn down).

As I said - working at cross purposes at best.

Given there is only one house remaining on the whole block (the whole north side has nothing) how much more access is needed?

I suppose that is a great idea tear down all the buildings downtown so it will be more accessible. Again - a city working at cross purposes.

CFFF9B66-D7CC-4C25-A0B2-1FC14BA7D7BD.jpeg

Reno at 112 st and 102 ave

Back