News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Misc. Transportation Projects

Dear City of Edmonton,

I demand that you install overhead signs on Whitemud Drive WB (NB) for exiting onto Fox Drive. Those small ""fart and you miss it" Fox Drive signs on the right are simply not good enough.

Sincerely,
Gronk!

Last edited:
I think it would be helpful to have an overhead sign on Sherwood Park Freeway (before 50 Street) marking the lanes for Argyll Road, Whyte Avenue and the 50 Street exit.

The Dunluce renewal draft design is beyond impressive. Kudos for the city for stepping up to kick out some really excellent work to help these old neighborhoods have all the things we expect in newer builds. Whoever is running these urban renewals is absolutely crushing it. I am impressed with every area they have done so far and the design work keeps getting better and better. I am blown away how much multiuse pathways, bike lanes, missing connections are being added. Absolutely shows where the city's head is at and it makes me happy. I am really excited for the area around castle downs in years to come with the LRT coming through i think it will be a quite sought after place and i am happy they are laying the ground work now to help the area shine. That particular area has come such a long way for cycling and pathways in a relatively short time and it really does inspire confidence we can have the same treatments in more areas as the years go by.

here is the overall plan showing new pathways and connections to be added, the details in the PDF are super well done i hope they get most of this built out.
dunluce.PNG

COE project page
COE draft design direct link

The issue is that space is currently a pocket park and people would almost certainly object to its removal (especially cutting down the large mature trees).
The has the starts for something more substantial due to begin construction next year, but I do wish it'd become a proper transit centre. Government Centre is fairly far away and dead outside of business hours (rush hour really), but more importantly the pedway connection between the bus centre and lrt station is closed outside of business hours since it's part of the Legislature pedway system.

Screenshot_20231204-174855_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20231204-175015_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20231204-175104_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20231204-175111_Drive.jpg

I drove on Roper Road east of 34 Street today. It goes all the way to the CN Railway Tracks (about 25 Street).

I dunno - kinda defeats the purpose of a freeway, don't you think?

I dunno - kinda defeats the purpose of a freeway, don't you think?

They need to look at what improvements can be made to maintain 110km speed,

The alignment of the overpasses (Hwy 39 and 2A) are dangerous.
Yup, I call that section the 'roller coaster'. It is not safe with the increased traffic levels and the on and off ramps are sketchy to use when it is busy or the weather isn't ideal. Six-laning through Leduc would definitely help.

80 km/h just seems too slow. I’ve always thought it felt fast for the design and maybe that it should go down to 100 maybe even 90 where the poorly drawn red line is shown below but 80 seems sluggish, much like it feels sluggish on most of the Whitemud. Of course it’s in the name of safety but the speed limit shouldn’t be so far below the design speed (which I assume is around 110).

Attachments

• IMG_3837.jpeg
    IMG_3837.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
80 km/h just seems too slow. I’ve always thought it felt fast for the design and maybe that it should go down to 100 maybe even 90 where the poorly drawn red line is shown below but 80 seems sluggish, much like it feels sluggish on most of the Whitemud. Of course it’s in the name of safety but the speed limit shouldn’t be so far below the design speed (which I assume is around 110).
IMG_3837.jpeg

They need to look at what improvements can be made to maintain 110km speed,

Ok so this is where we need to remember the HSR debate. What's going to happen is that the province is going to spend $200m+ to make 'improvements' to this stretch just so drivers don't have to slow down by 30 km/h for a minute or two (watch, it'll happen....drivers will demand it). What drives me bananas is that people won't blink an eye at this type of 'improvement' even if it costs hundreds of millions of dollars and really makes zero sense, but then will sing the monorail song every time the Cgy-Edm rail link comes up because it 'doesn't have an ROI'. How about we just make drivers slow down for a minute or two and save the massive investment it would take to 'fix' this stretch. I could think of about a million better ways to spend this money.

Ok so this is where we need to remember the HSR debate. What's going to happen is that the province is going to spend $200m+ to make 'improvements' to this stretch just so drivers don't have to slow down by 30 km/h for a minute or two (watch, it'll happen....drivers will demand it). What drives me bananas is that people won't blink an eye at this type of 'improvement' even if it costs hundreds of millions of dollars and really makes zero sense, but then will sing the monorail song every time the Cgy-Edm rail link comes up because it 'doesn't have an ROI'. How about we just make drivers slow down for a minute or two and save the massive investment it would take to 'fix' this stretch. I could think of about a million better ways to spend this money.
This is a perfect example of the unquestioning assumption that any improvement for cars is justified and any other transportation project is too expensive. Maybe once those two overpasses have reached the end of their functional lives would a realignment be worth the cost, but just to keep the speed up by 30kph for a few kilometers its an insanely inefficient use of public funds. Even if you slowed all of Leduc to 80kph the time penalty is under 2 minutes.

Back