News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Misc. Transportation Projects

Well if that 127st bypass ever gets built , it would take a lot of the load off St Al Trail. If I have to go from south St Al to the North Side I take Ray Gibbons now. For some reason its faster than all the lights and bad drivers.

I had no idea there was a proposed 127 St bypass!
I imagine it would be something like this:

1698263254982.png

There is a right of way notice just to the west of the gated community on Sturgeon road. And the start is noticeable by the MPC.

I'm wondering where Ray Gibbon Dr will link with Hwy 2. I thought it would be an intersection at Neil Ross Rd but I'm guessing it will be an intersection near Morinville.

Yup drove it at the end of Sept just before the closures started again. Hell of a difference. Now it they could do the easy bits next.

Sooo its been 2.5 months since I worked downtown. And a month since I started commuting to the far south side from St Al. From the centre of St Al to Jasper and 99st used to take me 45 min on average. 52 minutes if I was on my bike.

My current commute from St Al to just south of the Henday and Parsons Rd ( Ellerslie Industrial park) is averaging 32 min. and 35 return. Even with the start stop traffic along the Henday from 127st to Gateway. Have not tried my bike ride yet since most days I am out of the office for part of the day. Still would be interesting to see when we get a real snow storm. I always have Alt routes so working them out will be fun. In the winter my commute could go up to 1.5 -2 hours. Just to go 22kms. Lst snow fall it was only 38 min drive.

I might be going on a bit of a tangent, but would it be worthwhile to have a scramble crosswalk intersection at Jasper and 100 Street? It would save people crossing two streets, as well as pedestrians and traffic competing at the light.

I really hope with the Stationlands pedway/103A Ave streetscaping projects, that there is provision for the CN Tower transit loop to be upgraded to a full transit centre in the future. The land is there, there will be an all-weather connection to Churchill Station, and it's right on the proposed B1 BRT alignment. Heck, 104 Ave can be reconfigured to provide bus-only access to 101 St.

Edmonton needs a downtown transit centre -- Government Centre is too far (almost the same distance from Churchill as Kingsway), and Telus Plaza is SB only.

Last edited:
I really hop,e with the Stationlands pedway/103A Ave streetscaping projects, that there is provision for the CN Tower transit loop to be upgraded to a full transit centre in the future. The land is there, there will be an all-weather connection to Churchill Station, and it's right on the proposed B1 BRT alignment. Heck, 104 Ave can be reconfigured to provide bus-only access to 101 St.

Edmonton needs a downtown transit centre -- Government Centre is too far (almost the same distance from Churchill as Kingsway), and Telus Plaza is SB only.

I really like this idea of yours.
If they can bring back the VIA Rail line to downtown with a VIA Rail terminal at the CN Tower then make it so!

If you are looking for a transit center that includes high speed or commuter rail, I don't see it being Stationlands at this point.

More likely it would be Government Centre, which is only a short LRT ride to the other downtown stations.

However, I suppose there is space there for a good size city or inter city bus terminal. It really made no sense to move the bus terminal to Yellowhead Trail, but then Greyhound isn't around and some of the current intercity bus companies do have downtown lcoations.

If you are looking for a transit center that includes high speed or commuter rail, I don't see it being Stationlands at this point.

More likely it would be Government Centre, which is only a short LRT ride to the other downtown stations.

However, I suppose there is space there for a good size city or inter city bus terminal. It really made no sense to move the bus terminal to Yellowhead Trail, but then Greyhound isn't around and some of the current intercity bus companies do have downtown lcoations.

I was thinking of an ETS transit centre so just buses (ETS, StAT, SCT, etc) with the pedway connection to Churchill like how Government Centre Transit Centre / LRT station are linked. The issue is that space is currently a pocket park and people would almost certainly object to its removal (especially cutting down the large mature trees).

A multimodal transit hub would be a separate and much larger undertaking.

Back