News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Misc. Transportation Projects

I think one solution is that the 2A bypass road has to be moved further south to be completely south of Leduc again. Also if they move that interchange then they could also make a much safer northbound on ramp. Instead of the up and down roallercoaster of highway 2, elevate that little stretch which would better help safety.

Ok so this is where we need to remember the HSR debate. What's going to happen is that the province is going to spend $200m+ to make 'improvements' to this stretch just so drivers don't have to slow down by 30 km/h for a minute or two (watch, it'll happen....drivers will demand it). What drives me bananas is that people won't blink an eye at this type of 'improvement' even if it costs hundreds of millions of dollars and really makes zero sense, but then will sing the monorail song every time the Cgy-Edm rail link comes up because it 'doesn't have an ROI'. How about we just make drivers slow down for a minute or two and save the massive investment it would take to 'fix' this stretch. I could think of about a million better ways to spend this money.

This^

IMG_6044.jpeg

They need to look at what improvements can be made to maintain 110km speed,
Just drove through there today. 80 is the average. Seems people do not like the curvey nature of the road. Yah some are 110-120 but most are lower. Plus with the on and off ramps they tend to enter at 80. North bound is different once you pass the interchange people crank it up.

Ok so this is where we need to remember the HSR debate. What's going to happen is that the province is going to spend $200m+ to make 'improvements' to this stretch just so drivers don't have to slow down by 30 km/h for a minute or two (watch, it'll happen....drivers will demand it). What drives me bananas is that people won't blink an eye at this type of 'improvement' even if it costs hundreds of millions of dollars and really makes zero sense, but then will sing the monorail song every time the Cgy-Edm rail link comes up because it 'doesn't have an ROI'. How about we just make drivers slow down for a minute or two and save the massive investment it would take to 'fix' this stretch. I could think of about a million better ways to spend this money.
We hope the province will spend $200M on this stretch….it is brutal and is what….circa 1960?

I think one solution is that the 2A bypass road has to be moved further south to be completely south of Leduc again. Also if they move that interchange then they could also make a much safer northbound on ramp. Instead of the up and down roallercoaster of highway 2, elevate that little stretch which would better help safety.
I think that's looked at, at least from a couple years old functional plan:
1706110870148.png
1706110897862.png

I thought (at one time) there was supposed to be a Highway 2A west bypass that started at the Leduc 2A interchange, continuing north on the west side of the International Airport and meeting up with Terwillegar Drive.

I thought (at one time) there was supposed to be a Highway 2A west bypass that started at the Leduc 2A interchange, continuing north on the west side of the International Airport and meeting up with Terwillegar Drive.

I think this is the EMRB Transportation plan, which showed a three-quarters loop of Nisku Spine Road / Highway 2A -170 St SW around City of Leduc.

The whole issue could be resolved if Alberta Transportation widened QEII between the 50 Ave interchange and truck scale to 3 lanes each way, and relocated the 2A interchange as planned.

The has the starts for something more substantial due to begin construction next year, but I do wish it'd become a proper transit centre. Government Centre is fairly far away and dead outside of business hours (rush hour really), but more importantly the pedway connection between the bus centre and lrt station is closed outside of business hours since it's part of the Legislature pedway system.

There is another round of public engagement with the updated design until Feb 13.

Well said. It's the same thought process with BC Ferries that is driving service quality into the ground. Nobody is looking at the highways department and noting how it costs billions every year to maintain, upgrade and operate provincial highways. Yet ferries, which is just as essential to provincial transportation connectivity, is turned into a provincially owned "private" corporation that is only minorly subsidized by the BC gov't, and any/all losses are highly scrutinized. Service sucks because the corp is trying to run as lean as possible to kept losses minimally. And for what?

The has the starts for something more substantial due to begin construction next year, but I do wish it'd become a proper transit centre. Government Centre is fairly far away and dead outside of business hours (rush hour really), but more importantly the pedway connection between the bus centre and lrt station is closed outside of business hours since it's part of the Legislature pedway system.
Well, it would also help if the Government Centre bus centre and the ltr station were not so far apart from each other. The pedway system is nice, but if hours are limited that really defeats the purpose of having it. This illustrates a fundamental problem with our transportation system - things are really not well planned and coordinated.

After all, this is the city where the train and inter city bus station moved far away from their previous central locations to a place with no transit connections at the time.

Back