News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Introduce Yourself

Figured I'd finally make an account on this website today after stumbling on it throughout the years.

I have lived in Edmonton my whole life and have always liked art and design in all its forms. I don't remember what sparked my interest in architecture specifically but I just know I love buildings old and new.

I currently work as an interior designer after completing my NAIT diploma and am now sitting on a half-finished architecture degree which I should probably get back to (didn't realize how tough it would be to balance a full work week and school!). Hoping that I can one day work in the heritage building sector.

Otherwise I'm into a lot of the same things boys my age are into it seems gaming, sports, music, I like to think I'm a pretty eclectic guy so I can talk about almost anything.

Peace!!!

Realised I don't think I posted on this before. Wow.

2nd generation in the construction industry.

Father came to Edmonton in the early 50s to help start Angus Butler Engineering. Brothers and I grew up around engineers and drafting. When we were in the office on weekends the engineers would give us drawings to colour on. Brothers and I could read drawings before we could actually read. I can actually look at a drawing and see it in 3d. Helped us later in life with getting jobs.

Mother was one of the first women to own and operate a firm in the construction industry.

Born in Edmonton.

School and life mostly in Edmonton but did spent 2 years in TO during the 80s downturn under contract to do work on Darlington Nuclear generating station and GMs Paint facility. Also spent time in Siberia on two Clark Builders projects. My education was non traditional and involved lots of hands on experience usually with some of the best trades people and Engineers and Architect in the area. When you want to learn, people are willing to teach.

Traveled to All communities in the Artic and most of Canada for my job.

Been in the design and construction industry for over 40 years. First with the Family Firm. Testing balancing and Commissioning of systems. then when I got tired of that went to work for a consulting firm. At some point that firm was bought by Stantec and I stayed until the Tower was finished. (I did get to stand on top a couple of times).Then moved onto a smaller firm. Still working with Contractors and Consultants to get the job completed. Probably work a few more years, still more to learn and to give back.

Very big into cycling now. First rule for bike is N+1. (7 currently) . Part of one of the first groups to start building mtb trails in the valley. (about 1984).

Besides cycling spent years on the river rowing and fell in love with the river. and also found the love of my life.

Have a love of photography and the arts in general. Cat, Dog and Fish in our household.

Sat downtown on a patio one day with my dad (Just turned 90) as he said they were knocking down buildings he helped design. And sitting in my office the other day looking out and I realised shit they are knocking some of the buildings I helped on as well.

IMG_9642.JPG

My darling wife got this idea to float a sweet potato atop one of her freshwater fish tanks -- it created a fantastic network of roots which the Betta took to lustfully. And, after the root system developed extensively, Ms. Sweet-Potato-Head started to sprout leaves as a kind of headdress. Naturally the urge for me to grab my sharpie and humanize the creature befell me like that which must have energized Dr. Frankenstein. So sharing with y'all --MERRY CHRISTMAS and all the very best in the NEW YEAR from me, my wife, and Ms. Sweet-Potato-Head.

Hey thought I'd introduce myself as well. I've lurked this forum for a while, but mostly lurked on C2E for a long time. Seems like it's not as active there anymore so I decided to make an account here since I love discussing all things Edmonton related!

I recently moved back to Edmonton, though I've lived in various cities/provinces throughout the country - Saskatchewan, Newfoundland, Alberta, and Ontario. Ultimately, I've found I love Edmonton the most and have felt it's the place I am most happy to call "home."

I've always gotten bizarre looks from people when I say I think Edmonton is great (mostly from Edmontonians) but it just has a lot going for it. Quality of life, passionate community, affordable homes, great food and outdoor scene; not sure what more I could ask for!

Hope to be able to contribute meaningfully here from time to time. :)

Hey guys,

My name is Yash, Im a born and raised Edmontonian, currently a university student in the city.

I've been a frequent user for the forum for quite a while now and by frequent I mean almost daily for the past few years. I don't know why I haven't come around to actually using my account but now I have!

Ever since i've been attending school in downtown, the developments have intrigued me which is how i came across this forum in the first place. As a Centre High student a few years ago I would notice a lot of construction in the area and wondered what these projects were and by doing a little searching here and there I came across this page and honestly check It probably everyday. It's gotten to the point where my friends and family know me as the guy who knows about all the infrastructure projects going on in the city.

Im looking for some advice. Right now i'm a 3rd year Bachelors of Commerce student finishing up in about a year or so. But I really think I have an interest in infrastructure or architecture. I really love seeing this city grow and one day hope to be able to contribute to the growth of this city. Does anyone know what are some careers or programs in schools that I should look into if I want to develop my interest into something career based. I would greatly appreciate any sort of advice.

Thanks!

Hi Yash -- welcome to the forum as a contributor! Downtown and in Commerce -- I suspect, then, that you are a student at MacEwan U. I have a few ideas for you. If you want to put your soon-to-be-B. Commerce Degree to work for you while you pick up another degree in Architecture then I would recommend Athabasca University. The program that they have put together is better than most that I have seen and it is all on-line -- https://www.athabascau.ca/programs/summary/bachelor-of-science-in-architecture/ so you can work at your own pace. Architecture courses generally are daunting from a work-load perspective, so you would have to dedicate about 8 hours per day which means finding an understanding employer for four or five years! The combination of the two degrees would certainly put you in a class of your own.

I am a practicing licensed architect in Southern California (most of my work is in California and Neighbouring Arizona). That, however, is about to change fairly dramatically. Beginning next month in March this year we will be bringing several new corporate entities to Edmonton -- 1. RoadShowz, Inc. a high-tech company that we expect will reorder the bricks-and-mortar retail world on a global scale, 2. StreetSeenz, Inc. another high-tech venture that will deal with the decline in Media Presence; also intended to enliven the pedestrian realm on the street in downtown cores and in and around TODs., 3. TriArch LLC a joint-venture architecture company between myself, J. Murray McCombs (based in Washington D.C.) and world-renowned architect Douglas Cardinal, 4. in conjunction with RoadShowz, a prix fixe dining/lounge concept, 6. Dezign2the9z Inc., a company that has three DBA names under its umbrellla (Art of Dreamin' specializes in custom furniture that is suited to small living spaces, including apartments and condominiums; Out on a Limb specializes in exotic indoor pet environments (also suited to apartment and condo living; and Folio Fantasy, an online company dealing in the world of literature), and 5. two multi-Billion-Dollar developments that are sure to impact Edmonton in very serious ways. One of these developments in entitled "World Indigenous Peoples' Exposition", the second "ERiTH Ethnotica". I have been working on the fulfillment of these projects over the past two-and-one-half years. In March we expect to begin employee recruitment in Edmonton to fill some 350 positions. We are in the final negotiation stages with Lorraine Bodnaruk, President of LEDR in Edmonton to take over the entire Pendennis Hotel project on Jasper Avenue between 96th and 97th Street, thereby housing all of the foregoing business enterprises from a head-office perspective.

I mention this to you because, if you are interested, I would love to review your CV. You can Direct Message me or email me at clouds@gotsky.com.

Good Luck with whatever direction you choose to go.

Wow! Thank you for the advice, I will definitely look into that. That program at Athabasca University seems great I will be looking into that in more depth. As for those projects that you will be a part of bringing to Edmonton those seem amazing for the City! The Pendennis Hotel project is an essential project for the revitalization of the Quarters district. I would love for you to review my CV, I will keep in touch. Once again thank you for the advice I really appreciate it!

hello! not sure if this introduce yourself section is used much but i'm here anyways. joined because my friend @_Citizen_Dane_ has raved about this site and i've lurked enough and enjoy the vibe of this place more than ssp. i also know dave from way back though we haven't connected in a long time. from edmonton, though pre-covid i was often elsewhere and will soon be moving short-term to winnipeg (but i will be back). love cities and urbanism... i find edmonton often leaves a lot to be desired in terms of walkability, transit, cycling, design, as well as addessing affordability, poverty, racism, etc. but having been splitting my time more between edmonton and winnipeg (i'm used to comparing edmonton to toronto or montreal, which is unfair i guess), i've come to appreciate many aspects of edmonton, even if things could be better still. that being said, i also see things in winnipeg that i wish we did more of here. things seem to be on a better trajectory now than 10-25 years ago, at least. as much as i rag on the city and get critical, it's all because deep down, i do want edmonton to be a great city, and i just want better things for it. i have a love-hate relationship with edmonton, which i think many edmontonians can appreciate haha.

looking forward to spending more time here and perhaps posting now and again to keep up with development and urban planning news with the city. cheers!!

Hi everyone,

My name is Jason, and I am a 26 year old Edmontonian, born and raised in this City and passionate about its growth and development. I have a start-up in the tech space and my goal is to build it into a firm that is headquartered and provides jobs in Edmonton. Currently, I work in the Environmental and Sustainability group for the City. Outside of work, I am a finance and economics enthusiast (my major and minor of my degree from the U of A) and spend a lot of time researching and reading about various topics of interest.

I am looking forward to engaging with everyone and becoming a part of this community. Feel free to drop me a message any time if you'd like to chat!

Best,

Jason

@jnolsen Love to hear that dude, welcome and thanks for doing the awesome work you do!

Back