News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Introduce Yourself

Hello Folks. New member and first time poster. I've been on the sidelines "observing" for a couple months now and really enjoy the photos, news and renderings posted by all of you. I'm hoping to add some photos of my own over the next little while.
Some background - I am a mid-fifties, born and raised Edmontonian and have been a real estate/property development/architecture "geek" since junior high (or thereabouts). I am very much enjoying watching our City, and downtown in particular, transform. I have worked downtown since June of 1989 and have seen some pretty dramatic changes take place over the years.
Not sure if this is the place to post this but I have a question. Are there instructions anywhere as to how best to post photos on this site? I see Daveography's post above (#16)- is it that simple? I have a number of photos from the 1980s and 1990s that I have scanned and I would like to post some before/after shots of some of the old, dusty gravel parking lots and underutilized warehouses that have been developed/redeveloped. Any tips/instructions for this tech challenged old guy would be very much appreciated.
Thanks again, All, for all the photos/news/renderings/etc.

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd introduce myself and my new start up with you all. My names Naeem and I started a company called Thermalux Architectural Systems. We focus on aluminium windows, curtain walls, doors and a number of other exterior finishes... you might be thinking aluminium windows?!?! Well, were different in the sense that actually manufacture thermally broken aluminium window systems that hold the durability and extraordinary u-values. Our products are engineered and manufactured in Lublin, Poland.

I've lived in Edmonton for most of my life, my family immigrated her from Belgium and I've always been fascinated with construction and building. I got into this industry when I was 16 as a summer job working in residential construction and continued as a project coordinator/ manager/ materials manager through out my career. My hobbies include: hanging with my two shiba inus, F1, soccer, and camping.

I wanted to share a few of our products and gather some feedback? Since we are a start up, I was wondering if anyone had insight on how we can introduce the product to the Edmonton market?

Thanks,
NK

Attachments

• IMPERIAL WINDOW SPECS.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 445
  • MC GLASS.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 418
  • MC-PASSIVE PLUS.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 415
Hi all! I’m a long time lurker but first time poster, so I figured I’d revive this old thread to introduce myself.

My name’s Dane, and I'm 21. I’ve lived in Edmonton all my life, and for about as long have had some kind of interest in architecture and urban design. What really kicked off my passion for both these subjects was completely out of left field; a ninth grade, Lego stop motion project for my Communication Technologies class. Being the expert Lego builder out of my group of buddies, I was the one responsible for designing our sets. As a stickler for accuracy, I tried to make my buildings look as realistic as possible, which led me down a rabbit hole studying various architectural styles and their histories. Something about building and landscape design just struck a chord with me and I've been hooked on the subject ever since. Luckily for me that was back around 2012, so just when redevelopment downtown started really kicking into high gear.

Interestingly enough, that project also kicked off my intense love for Edmonton’s architectural heritage. As part of my research I began studying Edmonton’s remaining heritage buildings to draw examples from and quickly found out that the city I was largely indifferent to had a fascinating story. Since then discovering the stories of Edmonton’s architectural past has become my main hobby, and I’ve spent countless hours researching many of the city’s largely forgotten buildings and homes. Combining that with my love of photography, I’ve been trying to document many of these buildings in picture form for eventual donation to the City Archives. As part of this process I’ll often compose write ups detailing their history (which can be found on my interactive Heritage Map or Instagram), with the hopes of one day compiling them into some kind of book.

I’m a pretty introverted guy so don’t expect me to be active in every thread, but I look forward to discussing urban stuff with some like-minded people!

I'll second that of what @archited has said in that the fellow forum members on here are non-confrontational. I follow a couple of other threads on other forums and some of the backlash and borderline harassment on there is unseen here.
Welcome to the forum, please post as you please :)

Seeing that I have been on this website for a while now I thought it would be necessary to tell you guys who I am!

I am Kyle Blanchett, I'm 20 years old, a lover of the Oilers and have lived in Edmonton my whole life. I love nature and the outdoors and try to get outside as much as I can!
I am 4th generation at my family's business Blanchett Neon . Since 1947, Blanchett Neon has been Western Canada’s premier supplier of quality business and custom signage products, from spectacular freestanding pylon signs to eye-catching store front channel letter displays; traditional neon signs to state-of-the-art LED Electronic Message Centers. We have done many eye catching signage displays that you would notice (Epcor Tower, Edmonton Tower, Neon sign museum, ATB Tower and many more.)

I love to know everything and anything there is to know about Edmonton. I love learning about architecture and Edmonton history. I am involved in many different organisations
-Edmonton Executive Association
-Young Professorial Network of Canada
-Alberta Sign Association
-Edmonton Chamber of Commerce
-Edmonton Construction Association
All of these organisations help me share leads with you guys and grow my knowledge and appreciation for Edmonton and the surrounding areas.

I look forward forward to all of the new conversations that we have with people who love Edmonton as much as I!

Hi all, first post here, although I have been lurking for a little while. I was a long time member of another forum that discusses similar Edmonton topics, but finally had enough of all the toxicity there. So, here I am.

Born and raised Edmontonian. My work background is in IT. Photography hobbyist that used to be much more serious about it, until I picked up the bass. Now, I'm in two classic rock cover bands and just do photography as a distraction.

I grew up in a family where my dad ran a small construction company, building houses in the Edmonton area for ~50 years. So, it's in my blood, and I'm always curious about and fascinated by the changes that are planned and underway in this city. I also find fascinating how the changes that occur effect the social / cultural makeup of the city, as well as how our evolving demographics affect the way the city is physically changing.

Anyway, its great to read threads that remain civil, without all the sniping and personal attacks. Very refreshing!

Back