News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

General Architecture & Design Discussion

^^^^ It's in the works -- too soon to give any details.
That is something Ian might have said. Where is the leadership going to come from to push that agenda or the money and the money to fund a couple of Chairs for the proposed school. It will not be coming from the UCP or the UofA given the hatchet job Kenney and his goons have done on the UofA.

^

while masks are obvious artifacts, others will be less apparent. just as tb inspired “modern” architecture, it flourished for reasons quite removed from its origins (although not after imposing some horrendous spaces on our urban fanatics).

improved hvac, higher ventilation, less shared recirculation, better filtration etc. will all continue albeit largely unseen. washroom designs are likely to migrate from “barns” to individual spaces and air driers are likely to be replaced by the ubiquitous c-fold towel.

balconies will gain more prominence in work as well as residential spaces and the tends to smaller residences and tinier open office work stations will both continue to reverse as people will need larger spaces to work effectively at both locations.

we will see more flexible leave requirements and benefits that are likely to lead to universal basic incomes supplanting our current hodge podge of support systems.

there will be a confluence of covid and carbon-based influences on things like travel and shopping.

and, as always, as these things - and many others - become the norm, we will take them for granted and forget their origins.

^

while masks are obvious artifacts, others will be less apparent. just as tb inspired “modern” architecture, it flourished for reasons quite removed from its origins (although not after imposing some horrendous spaces on our urban fanatics).

improved hvac, higher ventilation, less shared recirculation, better filtration etc. will all continue albeit largely unseen. washroom designs are likely to migrate from “barns” to individual spaces and air driers are likely to be replaced by the ubiquitous c-fold towel.

balconies will gain more prominence in work as well as residential spaces and the tends to smaller residences and tinier open office work stations will both continue to reverse as people will need larger spaces to work effectively at both locations.

we will see more flexible leave requirements and benefits that are likely to lead to universal basic incomes supplanting our current hodge podge of support systems.

there will be a confluence of covid and carbon-based influences on things like travel and shopping.

and, as always, as these things - and many others - become the norm, we will take them for granted and forget their origins.
I was asked to do an exercise by our company management to look at what landlords, building owners are doing for some office building. Based on ASHRAE and CCOHS guidelines. After looking at the data, unless you are in a building designed in the last 5 years you may never meet the guidelines. Same goes with School, If you are i a school from the last 8 years you are ok. The cost to the owners may be prohibitive but also quite a number of building are old enough that they cannot meet the numbers without fully gutting the ventilation systems.

Attachments

• 00 core-recommendations-for-reducing-airborne-infectious-aerosol-exposure.pdf
    247.6 KB · Views: 189
  • 00 CCOHS indoor-ventilation-en.pdf
    129.2 KB · Views: 139
I was asked to do an exercise by our company management to look at what landlords, building owners are doing for some office building. Based on ASHRAE and CCOHS guidelines. After looking at the data, unless you are in a building designed in the last 5 years you may never meet the guidelines. Same goes with School, If you are i a school from the last 8 years you are ok. The cost to the owners may be prohibitive but also quite a number of building are old enough that they cannot meet the numbers without fully gutting the ventilation systems.
i'm not sure if the costs of resolving some of this issues is prohibitive as much that the cost of not resolving them is going to become prohibitive...

one of the things i didn't mention is that for the past century, employers have pretty much had free reign when it comes to working conditions. if you wanted to work for "so and so", you accepted the working conditions "so and so" gave you. from large offices to small offices to cubicle farms to open plan work stations to "hoteling stations", you worked where you were told to work. i think that's changed - employees, particularly highly talented employees even if they're new graduates, are going to look at the quality of the work space they will be given as closely as the work, the salary and the benefits and a big part of what they are going to look at are things like fresh air. it also wouldn't surprise me if that scrutiny doesn't also start to come from insurance companies and benefit providers and worker's compensation etc.

as soon as retaining the status quo starts to negatively impact the performance and bottom lines of tenants - which will immediately do the same thing for landlords - then the costs of retrofitting will be much less prohibitive. it will also put an end to primarily cosmetic changes that simply put reskinned lipstick on the pig and prettier lobbies instead of providing users with an actual upgraded and healthier interior.

i'm not sure if the costs of resolving some of this issues is prohibitive as much that the cost of not resolving them is going to become prohibitive...

one of the things i didn't mention is that for the past century, employers have pretty much had free reign when it comes to working conditions. if you wanted to work for "so and so", you accepted the working conditions "so and so" gave you. from large offices to small offices to cubicle farms to open plan work stations to "hoteling stations", you worked where you were told to work. i think that's changed - employees, particularly highly talented employees even if they're new graduates, are going to look at the quality of the work space they will be given as closely as the work, the salary and the benefits and a big part of what they are going to look at are things like fresh air. it also wouldn't surprise me if that scrutiny doesn't also start to come from insurance companies and benefit providers and worker's compensation etc.

as soon as retaining the status quo starts to negatively impact the performance and bottom lines of tenants - which will immediately do the same thing for landlords - then the costs of retrofitting will be much less prohibitive. it will also put an end to primarily cosmetic changes that simply put reskinned lipstick on the pig and prettier lobbies instead of providing users with an actual upgraded and healthier interior.
I kinda agree, When We got back our survey answers we looked at the the responses and thought what would happen if...........

With as an employee I am told I have the right to a safe working environment then my question to the bosses is what are you doing to mitigate Covid issues. And a lot are mandating vaccines. the CCOHS are just guidelines they are not code. ASHRAE changed a few words in their original doc. now it rads more like you real should do these changes as to before we think you could look at these changes. simplest changes are operating times. filters, For those systems that can accommodate the bigger filters, more maintenance.

I cant see older building doing 100% OA, you would need to up size your heating capacity. and for facilities that have CRUs the small roof top units are pretty much out of any changes.

we also looked at those small space air filtration systems and found them pretty impractical.

There are some new Hydroxyl filtration systems that will be coming on the market very soon with 100% efficacy at killing airborne pathogens. These will be ceiling mounted room units that work best for small to medium sized enclosed spaces. That said, there is no current solution. And, I expect, there will be rigorous testing of these new units -- the generic version may well end up in building codes.

We are watching for anything we can use for retrofitting.
I have a meeting with a committee head at ASHRAE next week and will probably get more information during discussions.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but this needs to be shared somewhere on this site, so here goes.
We are all following this, yes? We are all voting?
i am following and voting. This thing is basically my superbowl. I can't believe this hasn't been a thing already, I'm so happy this person started this up. It's a great way to appreciate our architectural heritage.
Please check it out, and follow+vote!

also, the Alberta Hotel vs Mayfair Pavilions race was too close. An Edwardian box with a turret vs Japanese-inspired organic modernism?! competition where?! HOW?!?!?
Sorry, Like i said, quickly becoming very obsessed with this. Pavilions vs Planetarium is gonna be a friggin nailbiter.

Back