News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

General Architecture & Design Discussion

Not sure if this is the right thread, but this needs to be shared somewhere on this site, so here goes.
We are all following this, yes? We are all voting?
i am following and voting. This thing is basically my superbowl. I can't believe this hasn't been a thing already, I'm so happy this person started this up. It's a great way to appreciate our architectural heritage.
Please check it out, and follow+vote!

also, the Alberta Hotel vs Mayfair Pavilions race was too close. An Edwardian box with a turret vs Japanese-inspired organic modernism?! competition where?! HOW?!?!?
Sorry, Like i said, quickly becoming very obsessed with this. Pavilions vs Planetarium is gonna be a friggin nailbiter.
DEEPLY CONFLICTED HAVE BEEN THINKING ON THIS ALL DAY AND CANNOT DECIDE GUYSSSSSSS WHATTTT
literally my two favourite buildings in this whole thing are up against each other and we have to choose just ONE!?!?!?!?
not feeling okay about this. dunno what to do. might sit thtis vote out and just watch in sadness as one of my faves gets tossed out.
anyone else following along/voting? how do y'all feel about this?

OBLIGATED TO POST THE RESULTS HERE (although I'm sure anyone who cares already knows and these posts are basically useless, I just care about consistency)

HECK YES TO THE PLANETARIUM! WE STAN.
this was such a cool idea and I loved all of it so much. it sparked great discussion, brought forward some great new buildings/angles to consider, and proved that Edmonton's architectural history is exciting and engaging for the general publi.
NOW WHAT BUILDINGS DO WE SEE IN THIS NEXT YEAR???

Happen to come across this today in Lethbridge. #kindacool

DSC01729.JPG

t will require extensive neighbourhood redevelopment to enable Edmonton to become a 15-minute city. Le Plessis-Robinson in France is an example of a community that can serve as an inspiration.

Video | This Town Did The Impossible

Happen to come across this today in Lethbridge. #kindacool

View attachment 431426
A list of the old mail order houses.

I thought that Nelson Lumber did something similar.

Aladdin: Aladdin was huge all over North America and shipped overseas as well.

United Grain Grower: United Grain Growers (UGG) was also in the mail order house business until its mill at Hutton B.C. burned down in 1926. Some older folk will remember UGG as a farmer-owned grain company. Grainews was started by UGG in 1975 as a free publication for its members.

Sears: Sears was big in the U.S.

Western Retail Lumberman’s Association: The Western Retail Lumberman’s Association also did mail order business. The WRLA still exists and holds an annual convention in Saskatoon each January.

T. Eaton Co. Ltd.​

But, the most famous Mail Order House Company was the T. Eaton Co. Ltd.

The business was centered at its Winnipeg branch. Eaton Houses were made for Western Canada, and most of the houses are found on farms.

They had dozens of different models but the most popular was the Earlsfield — a 1-½ storey house with a double Gambrel (we say hip) roof. The barn-like roof made for very efficient use of lumber to provide a lot of living space.

The materials cost for the Earlsfield in Fall and Winter 1917-18 was listed at $1,193 (that’s $16,482 in 2015 dollars). Inflation was rampant in the teens so they quit posting prices in 1919.

Lumber was shipped by rail from mills in BC and millwork from Winnipeg.

Does anyone know the name of this building, when it was built and what it's used for (a school)?

20230319_125819.jpg

t will require extensive neighbourhood redevelopment to enable Edmonton to become a 15-minute city. Le Plessis-Robinson in France is an example of a community that can serve as an inspiration.

Video | This Town Did The Impossible

Love the video, wish we could see more of that in this city. One of the things that I'm reminded of too is how European cities do so very well without the obsession of massive highrise towers. I'd love to see a transformation of Millwoods Town center area and other communities around Edmonton region modeled more like the town in the video. Parks, plazas, retail, residential, professional doesn't have to be so separated from each other. One of the very appealing things also in that video is not once did I see any big parking lots in front of a bunch of stores. Quite refreshing to see a municipality on a human scale doing well.

I'm trying to find the name of the near identical twin to Edmonton's Telus House in San Fransisco. If anyone knows the name of that building I wpuld appreciate it. What style of architecture is it? I know it's a "box" basically but I've seen some other cities with similar 70's architecture ( New Orleans, San Fransisco). Thanks .

Everyone knows what the building looks like but here's a couple of links with some photos.
Telus House
Triovest

Last edited:
This one looks similar: https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?buildingID=1395
or https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?buildingID=2134
Or look at the 188 building diagrams - should take 5 minutes.
I appreciate the links. . There's three buildings in San Franscisco that look very similar to Telus House. Seems like the 650 California Street Building (formely the Hartford Buildiing )is the closest in appearance. After doing a bit more research, this boxy no-frills style is known as the "International" style and was very common back in the 60s and 70s for office towers. Flickr User Architexty:650 California Street Building

Last edited:

Back