News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

General Architecture & Design Discussion

Borden Park Natural Swimming Pool won a Design Excellence Award from the Ontario Association of Architects:

@archited What does happen with all that sand anyway?

That said, given the geological history of Alberta, I don't think we have any sort of shortage of the stuff.
Sand is abundant, but we can't always use it without consequences. There have been some interesting recent-ish publications about "the world running out of sand", like this BBC Future article.

at one time we would spend a hundred years or more to complete a structure.

then it got to the point where we completed them to last 100 years.

then it got to the point where it didn't seem to matter how long it would last if you could sell it.

this one is less than 15 years old:

15 years in (2).jpg

i guess that's what happens when you just screw the baseplate down through the membrane and leave... :(

@kcantor Yikes, where was that?
it probably doesn't really matter where it is but it was an addition done to an infill done by a builder with a reasonable reputation then and now... it was built at a time 15 years ago when all you needed in order to be hired was the ability to fog a mirror. the deck railings are fastened through the membrane and from what you can see it looks like none of the flashings extended enough to keep the water out. it's also a pretty good example of what not to use for material in some locations in an exterior wall and how not to use it - the osb edge beam seems like it might have been framed "inside out" for it to have just rotted away like that in a location better suited to solid timber. but what do i know, i'm just a dumb developer. :(

Water damage to new buildings is becoming very common, my house which was built in 2003 has water damage around the bottom of the back door, I will be getting this fixed before winter comes. Prior to that, the windows sprang leaks whenever rain hit the house at an angle, I got that fixed last year. At least what ever water damage that has happened so far are contained in very small areas. My neighbour had water damage that if neglected could have compromised the structural integrity of the entire house.

This could either be great or awful:

C.1. Public Participation at EDC meetings
Administration communicated information from City Clerks / Law Branch regarding
public participation at EDC meetings. In summary, the Bylaws governing Committees of
Council (including EDC) do permit public participation in the form of speakers. Within
the current governance framework, EDC will have to explore how to best accommodate
this requirement. Concurrently, Administration will continue to work with City Clerks
and the Law Branch to more fully understand this requirement.

Probably should add some external consultation as well. How about round-table facilitated sessions for each?

Man, that is the future in the making. If they could figure out how to make trees grow super fast and big then I think we'll have made the ultimate renewable material source.

Edit: Seems like we have made progress in that area!: Scientists Have Discovered a Way to Make Trees Grow Bigger and Faster | NOVA | PBS

Back