News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

General Architecture & Design Discussion

Bob the Builder said, "I woodn't have believed it if i hadn't not seen it with my own eyes. Now if we could just teach trees how to grow into their own windows -- that wood be a platinum idea! It wood add new meaning to the phrase, 'can't see the forest for the trees'".

'It has to work for everyone': Edmontonians call for more inclusive city planning​

Edmonton residents want the city's planning and infrastructure to accommodate everyone — regardless of income, housing status, or how they choose to get around.

That's what Taproot heard in the final People's Agenda listening session on April 29, which saw more than 20 people participate in a discussion about public infrastructure.

The event was prompted by Taproot’s People's Agenda, a document that’s being compiled based on the responses to this question: What key issue do you want the candidates to talk about as they compete for votes in the 2021 municipal election, and why?

Vivian Manasc, the event's featured speaker, said that good city planning is inclusive of all residents.

"A healthy city has space for many different ideas," she said. "It has to work for everyone."

'It has to work for everyone': Edmontonians call for more inclusive city planning​

Edmonton residents want the city's planning and infrastructure to accommodate everyone — regardless of income, housing status, or how they choose to get around.

That's what Taproot heard in the final People's Agenda listening session on April 29, which saw more than 20 people participate in a discussion about public infrastructure.

The event was prompted by Taproot’s People's Agenda, a document that’s being compiled based on the responses to this question: What key issue do you want the candidates to talk about as they compete for votes in the 2021 municipal election, and why?

Vivian Manasc, the event's featured speaker, said that good city planning is inclusive of all residents.

"A healthy city has space for many different ideas," she said. "It has to work for everyone."

Sadly many people believe a city "working for everyone" is synonymous with "everyone gets their preference". Most of us as the public don't have a strong understanding to speak into what's even best for us, let alone the broader city. People think being anti density is best for them until the neighbourhood schools shut down cause no kids are left. Then they get worried about crime cause now the school closing means no families and people out and about.

Or people don't like public transit, but then whine about congestion. We are much less rational and knowledgeable than we think we are haha

^^^^ Precisely -- that's where design professionals come in. The best and most imaginative make learning a life-long goal that impacts in a positive way an entire panoply of exceptional objectives. Education, imagination, experience, skill, and forethought are all important factors in underscoring the qualifications of a worthy design professional (some are just in it as a moneyed career; certainly the 80/20 rule applies -- 80% are ho-hum; 20% are worthy of note). Generally speaking, the public has no idea as to where to "draw the line" (architectural pun).

One of my favourite streets to explore, Newbury in Boston. This needs to help guide more of our infill and urban design aspirations.

51110370158_ae8d0f2590_b.jpg

Agreed, rural centres don't need to be cheap boxes devoid of any architectural value.

http://www.atelierars.com/cultura-cardinal/
much of cardinal’s work - and others like hemingway and macdonald and rule and etc. in what could be quite a lengthy list - was completed in smaller centres. this would include much of their work in edmonton which for most of its history (and some would say still is) a smaller centre. particularly for a city without a school of architecture, we have been home to some very talented designers. it’s too bad they haven’t always had the support and recognition/appreciation they deserved.

Given the thread I think this may be the right place to ask this but has there been any progress behind the scenes of a School of Architecture at the U of A recently? If I recall correctly, there was an article a year or two back of a councilor that was pushing for one.

Back