Stationlands Residential Towers | 90m | 25s | Qualico | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
For me this is the most surprising project ever. Given the width of the Epcor building wondering if they ever would get any sun.. and on top of that residents would enjoy nice view of shelters etc.. if this sells then I would no longer believe in cries and excuses that market is bad 🐇

Firstly, to my understanding, they're rentals. As per sunshine, they'll get some from sunrise to early am and sunset range. I have a sense the area north won't be decrepit that long tbh. With the CWB office, Katz has a chance for the north lot to be fulfilled if he plays the "family card" correctly in that development. That lot is a perfect opportunity for a "gated-like" community. I've alluded to the concept of a rectangle donut-like form built for the entire block where the inner real estate's become the community area- children's playground, garden, and reflecting pond etc. The area of the podium rooftop where towers are not constructed could be used for basket ball court, garden, and community square etc. In this community, one would have the opportunity to have built forms for retirement living with optional aide care settings, adults only building, family building, specialized rentals for monthly or whatever one can think outside the traditional box. The combination would be a win win for all. Families can living in one tower while retired parents can be in adjacent tower allowing one to access and guard their senior parents with ease and little hassle- not to mentioned a reliable baby sitter 😜.
If this gets off the ground, that whole area will becomes a different outlook IMO.

I really hope we never become like Vancouver East Hastings street, it is a sad depressing area and has been for decades. For all of those who rave about how great Vancouver is, remember parts of it are not so great.

I think for a lot of reasons things will not become as bad here, including it is more affordable and the run down buildings here are smaller so are more easily torn down or fixed up. Stationlands and other new projects will likely improve this area a lot.

What are the chances of the second building (I believe the high rise) being built soon? Do y'all think if Ice District Phase II starts, this development would go faster?

I believe -- meaning my opinion with no inside knowledge -- that the second tower will get built in continuum to the first regardless of ICE phase II. I also believe that ICE Phase II is in the detailed Planning stage with announcements to come this summer after hockey season takes a break, beginning with one of the smaller towers in the Northwest quadrant.

I hope the second building it built with a completely different aesethetic than Epcor and Phase 1. This is just my own tastes, bu I'd love to see each building in Stationlands one with it's own personality and feel like it would go a long way in breaking up the wall of glass we see on that part of the skyline.

If the condo market is soft, I can't see traditional concepts really taking off. For rental, do we need more for a brand new tower would be high priced. The question for me is, what alternatives can we envisioned to spur further developments?

Just for conversation sakes, what if developers approach a 2 for 1 concept per se, where you offer buyers condos, but, if they have senior parents, you offer them incentives to purchase condos for their parents in adjacent tower? Kind of like if you buy one and get 25% off on the next one...
The COVID lock down saw many people around the world worried of their parents all alone and helpless, so maybe something to this degree could be looked at?

I hope the second building it built with a completely different aesethetic than Epcor and Phase 1
The second residential tower as evident from the renderings pretty much carries on the aesthetic principles of the first -- but I think that you meant the third tower which would be part of a subsequent phase -- and, if so, I agree it would be nice to see a change up. While there are slight changes in proposed subsequent phases they are not drastic...
Screen Shot 2023-04-08 at 2.25.34 PM.png

The second residential tower as evident from the renderings pretty much carries on the aesthetic principles of the first -- but I think that you meant the third tower which would be part of a subsequent phase -- and, if so, I agree it would be nice to see a change up. While there are slight changes in proposed subsequent phases they are not drastic...
View attachment 467441
Oh yes you're right. Tower 3 and the others. The spandrel is kinda boring, grey's been done and it doesn't add much to the design. If those blank wallspaces incorporate good, bright, colorful, artwork, they can go from being a complimentary neutral element to the centrepiece of the design.

I doubt all the towers will be up in the next ten years, so most likely what we see in the rendering will change just as it has when Ken was overseeing the company.

Back