News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Oilers

The call of Foegele at the end of the game?

2 obvious missed calls in a row on McDavid right in front of the ref

The slashing call on McDavid? Both calls on McDavid were complete BS, the boarding was a dive

I predict an intense game, but maybe not a high flying, high scoring affair like BOA's of the last few years. Calgary no longer has the firepower to be successful in a run and gun situation so they will be trying to suffocate the Oilers offense.
I agree that this will be their game plan, but we've seen, as of late, that this team has improved so much on the forecheck that it can turn this against the Flames. As someone pointed out, we're kind of playing "playoff hockey" right now, in the sense of being able to play these gritty, slow paced games.

I'm going to predict a 4-3 Flames win in overtime. (I also think the refs will do everything they can to prevent the Oilers from breaking that Canadian win streak record).
My prediction is a 3-2 Oilers victory in regulation, with a nailbiter ending on the 3rd. I don't think the refs (or the league) really cares about the Canadian record at all. If it comes to be a threat to the Penguins' all-time record of 17, then yes, I can see refs interfering. But As long as it's a dispute between Canadian teams, they don't care.

I HONESTLY will not be surprised if we run the streak to 16. The refs will never let us make it to 17, tho, especially because the 17th would be against Vegas.

Refs last night were fine, they let some calls go both ways, stayed consistent in what they were calling especially calling hits that got up higher than they needed to be on players faces which not all refs do. Maybe a ticky tack penalty on McDavids slash but even if it wasn't much it was there, Oilers didn't play disciplined enough.

They also correctly called the major near the end of the game to my surprise, a major is very serious and often times unless it's a brutal check in the numbers or a player is injured on the play the refs don't call it. However Gourde charged Ekholm, left his feet, and purposefully hit him high, so it was a good call and the correct one.

Only thing they messed up was the penalty on Foegele at the end, which is simply a Steve Kozari special. McDavid made him a laughing stock with his shootout celly 5 or 6 years ago and since then Oiler fans think Kozari has it out for them, it's blown out of proportion in my opinion but the call on Foegele at the end was peculiar for sure.

^

The more I watch this team the more I like it…

If they get to 17 - or 18 - they will decide the outcome on their own. The referees may be able to influence the flow of a game but they can’t score goals or keep the puck out of the net.

keep the puck out of the net
I mean, technically... For reference, see how many goals called back we've had.

Also, they can't score goals, but they can keep the team on the PK for almost entire periods, give mandrake penalties to our best players, demoralize the team, etc...
They can call goals back, let the adversaries get away with nasty hits, etc.

Refs can definitely change the outcome of games VERY easily.

^^

Many of those things are as likely to motivate this team at this point than predetermine a negative impact on the final outcome.

It also ignores the scrutiny a coaches challenge brings to questionable calls whereas in prior years they would have been left alone except for post-game analysis.

Kozari and Chris Lee refereed both of the last two games. The Oilers have an awful record when Lee refs and many of his calls are very questionable when reffing Oilers games (yet for some reason the NHL keeps assigning him to Oilers games... curious). And the problem with Kozari has already been mentioned. They made the right call on the major I agree but they missed the easiest call ever, Ryker Evans tackling McDavid twice in a row behind the net right in front the ref. The Oilers just had a powerplay so that certainly played a part. It's almost like there's a 5 minute cool down after each powerplay where nothing can be called. I'm not suggesting the NHL is trying to rig games, but they definitely give refs the leeway to manage games. Often that result goes against the Oilers as a team with a high flying offense (who have enough infractions committed against them just trying to contain their top players to put them on the powerplay for most of a game). In addition, they're a Canadian team so they're going to get screwed most of the time.

I'm not suggesting the NHL is trying to rig games
I am. Especially if it means screwing a Canadian team in favour of an American. If it's a market they want to expand, then, it's a shoo-in.

The news someone posted, that the Oilers are currently tied with the Leafs for the most profitable franchise in the league (despite our relatively small market size) points out as to why... Haven't been to a Stanley Cup final is well over a decade. Haven won in well over three decades, and yet... And this repeats for all Canadian teams. As long as we bring viewership and money to the league, despite bad results, the league will rig it towards less passionate markets.

I am. Especially if it means screwing a Canadian team in favour of an American. If it's a market they want to expand, then, it's a shoo-in.

The news someone posted, that the Oilers are currently tied with the Leafs for the most profitable franchise in the league (despite our relatively small market size) points out as to why... Haven't been to a Stanley Cup final is well over a decade. Haven won in well over three decades, and yet... And this repeats for all Canadian teams. As long as we bring viewership and money to the league, despite bad results, the league will rig it towards less passionate markets.
I agree with you but I think if it were rigged, the Oilers would not have been allowed to reach the final in 06, the Canucks in 11, and the Canadiens in 21. They definitely try to influence outcomes in favor of American teams and especially Sun Belt teams, where they need to grow the game.

I don't think it's impossible that the Oilers could win the cup this season with the current NHL situation, otherwise I wouldn't even bother watching and no one should. If it was rigged, there would be no chance a Canadian team could win. I don't think it's rigged though, I think it's set up so that it's very difficult for Canadian teams (and actually northern and traditional markets in general) to win the cup.

What's the point of watching if you already know your team has no chance?

Back