News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Edmonton Oilers

The salary cap is a huge issue for Canadian teams. With lower taxes in the states it is like a higher cap limit for them.

I agree with you but I think if it were rigged, the Oilers would not have been allowed to reach the final in 06, the Canucks in 11, and the Canadiens in 21. They definitely try to influence outcomes in favor of American teams and especially Sun Belt teams, where they need to grow the game.

I don't think it's impossible that the Oilers could win the cup this season with the current NHL situation, otherwise I wouldn't even bother watching and no one should. If it was rigged, there would be no chance a Canadian team could win. I don't think it's rigged though, I think it's set up so that it's very difficult for Canadian teams (and actually northern and traditional markets in general) to win the cup.

What's the point of watching if you already know your team has no chance?
I think it's borderline impossible to ACTUALLY rig the games, but it's not for lack of trying.
Teams will find ways of overcoming the setups, and in the end, all 32 stand a chance (as small as it is) of winning the cup, but the league will make it as hard as they can for the Canadian (and, as you pointed out, other traditional markets) to win.

weather as well and not being constantly hounded by the media.
Which makes it all the funnier when Ekholm and his family said in an interview that they love the weather 🤣
small (semi) non-related rant: I'll NEVER be able to understand why people hate cold weather so much. It's objectively easier to manage extreme cold over extreme heat, and winter cities can be quite fun, as well. I blame the media (and the movie industry, especially) for this over glorification of "beach weather" as the gold standard we all should love.

Maybe I'm showing my tinfoil hat but it's my belief that a Canadian team will not be allowed to win the Stanley Cup as long as Gary Bettman is in charge. The last time a Canadian team won the Cup was in 1993 when Bettman was just starting. Some of you weren't even born yet!

non-related rant: I'll NEVER be able to understand why people hate cold weather so much. It's objectively easier to manage extreme cold over extreme heat, and winter cities can be quite fun, as well. I blame the media (and the movie industry, especially) for this over glorification of "beach weather" as the gold standard we all should love.
I have to disagree, I enjoy pleasant winter temperatures as well -5 to -10 with snow, and as a skier this is the ideal range. But what we often experience here in Edmonton is inhumanely cold (see this and last week, where it's unpleasant to simply exist outside). Humans originate from the African Savanna, our ideal temperature is like 25+ degrees physiologically. That temperature goes down if we're working which is probably why temperate regions have so many people. Now extreme heat is also pretty sucky, but 30 degrees above to me is preferable to 30 degrees below. I think I would like the San Francisco climate of like 17 degrees all year, or Medellin, not too hot but also not cold.

Maybe I'm showing my tinfoil hat but it's my belief that a Canadian team will not be allowed to win the Stanley Cup as long as Gary Bettman is in charge. The last time a Canadian team won the Cup was in 1993 when Bettman was just starting. Some of you weren't even born yet!

The Flames lost in the Cup final of Game 7 in 2004 and the Oilers lost in Game 7 in 2006. It is true if you look back at those 2 game 7s, that both Canadian teams were robbed of the victory by the higher ups. They did a good job of hiding it by letting the Flames and Oilers get to Game 7, but the outcome was decided before the game started and the players were even told beforehand is the way I heard it.

The Flames lost in the Cup final of Game 7 in 2004 and the Oilers lost in Game 7 in 2006. It is true if you look back at those 2 game 7s, that both Canadian teams were robbed of the victory by the higher ups. They did a good job of hiding it by letting the Flames and Oilers get to Game 7, but the outcome was decided before the game started and the players were even told beforehand is the way I heard it.
And the Flames were up 3-2 in games and game 6 was in double overtime, but the outcome was always certain. Flames lost it and then dropped game 7 by 2-1 score to the Lightening. So close, but was never gonna happen.

I do wish they'd get rid of the offside review. Funny how the linesmen missing one blatantly offside goal by Duchene a decade ago has culminated into 15 minute intervals of hysteria over millimeters and milliseconds. If it's too close for a professional linesmen to call as it happens, it had no measurable impact on whether the resulting goal was scored or not.

It's good intention asphalt on Hell Trail southbound.

^ agreed

or maybe an "inconsequential" rule, like the Seattle goal they called off last night. Or a "cool" rule where if the goal scored was cool enough it stands no matter what, like the Hyman one against Toronto.

Back