7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Edmonton Oilers

Oh hi guys!

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 10.48.21 PM.png

The Oilers have four games in hand on the Canucks. Win those games and the difference is only 5 pts. Not saying it'll happen but.... If you know anything about advanced analytics in hockey, you'll know the Canucks are riding a historical PDO bender and the Oilers STILL have not hit 100 PDO on the season despite an 8-game win streak and their current 11-game win streak.

PDO is the sum of a team's shooting percentage and its save percentage. The sum is then multiplied by 10 and that total is the team's PDO. Generally, if you are under 100 you are likely to regress to the mean and improve, above it and a lot of your results are likely due to luck. The Canucks currently have 4 (!!!) forwards shooting over 20% at 5v5—this is unheard of! This can't possibly last, or can it? Vegas won the cup on their own mini PDO bender that started near the end of last season and lasted throughout the playoffs. But to do it for an entire season at the level the Canucks are doing it would be completely insane. They are bound to come back down to earth in the second half of this season. Or at least I hope so.

They're good teams for sure. Vancouver last season was plagued by off-ice issues and injuries (particularly Demko). They also improved their defense in the offseason which was their biggest flaw. They're a playoff team to be sure, but they're WAY overachieving, they should be around where the Oilers are right now. Likewise the Oilers statistically should be where the Canucks are. Winnipeg is legit though, the Dubois trade (as was painfully obvious to anyone familiar with advanced stats) was heavily favoring Winnipeg.

Wildcard? Where we're going we don't need no wildcards.
Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 10.36.51 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 10.36.51 PM.png

Battle of Alberta tomorrow, Flames coming off a very close defeat at the hands of the Leafs. They've been playing spoiler lately and will give the Oilers a tough game. They are still within shouting distance of the playoffs sitting 3 points behind LA for the second wild card spot. They'll be hungry for points and will want to get revenge for the Winter Classic defeat. They may also draw some motivation from snapping the Oilers winning streak. I predict an intense game, but maybe not a high flying, high scoring affair like BOA's of the last few years. Calgary no longer has the firepower to be successful in a run and gun situation so they will be trying to suffocate the Oilers offense. I'm going to predict a 4-3 Flames win in overtime. (I also think the refs will do everything they can to prevent the Oilers from breaking that Canadian win streak record).

Back