News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Oilers

Per the Oilers website, yes two venues -- one for the dimeless and another for the penniless. I guess the expectation is SRO (in this case Standing Room Only) -- this should help generate downtown crowds on game days as long as the Oil keeps flowing forward. Expectations are high and that is GOOD!!! In the event that a Stanley Cup is Edmonton bound, the food trucks will be a challenge for vehicle-flippers.

While I have been removed from the discussions for a few years now, there were always plans to expand the capacity across various venues/streets/avenues/plazas as excitement grows each round.

I hope Churchill is still doing a family friendly watch party.

Just read this article in the Seattle Times...
Screen Shot 2023-04-12 at 4.32.31 PM.png

I can think of two reasons why the Kraken should play to win -- 1. that indeterminate quality in sports known as "momentum", especially going into the playoffs, and 2. the self-respect players hold out for themselves when taking on "the big dog" -- they are likely going to have to face the red-hot Oilers if they can get past round one anyway -- why put off the inevitable.

3. Playoffs make a ton of money for team ownership, who probably wouldn’t mind all the extra revenue after they collectively put in a few hundred mill
4. Great for the fan base to see some playoff hockey!

Kraken will have no reason to tank their game. In fact no team ever wants to loose, no players want to loose. I find those kind of articles just trolling and click-bait-y, not with any kind of credibility.

On playoffs Downtown - What happened last year was family-friendly watch party in Churchill going into the second round. I would assume as much this year.

Just read this article in the Seattle Times...
View attachment 468700
I can think of two reasons why the Kraken should play to win -- 1. that indeterminate quality in sports known as "momentum", especially going into the playoffs, and 2. the self-respect players hold out for themselves when taking on "the big dog" -- they are likely going to have to face the red-hot Oilers if they can get past round one anyway -- why put off the inevitable.
Plenty of teams that have already clinched a playoff spot will not play full-tilt in the final game, because they don't want to risk injuries to key players (they may even be resting key players for the playoffs) and because it ultimately means very little. The Kraken's last game won't be the difference between making it or not making it; winning or losing just means a potential different first round opponent--neither of which is particularly attractive for the Kraken to face. The Avs are defending champs, the Oilers are red-hot.

There's a difference between actively tanking (see Pittsburgh 1983-84) and simply taking your foot off the gas in a game that doesn't count very much.

Thats 82 games played and I'm excited for more to come. It was an up and down season to begin with but in the 2nd half it was nothing but up for our Edmonton Oilers. Very proud of our squad this year as they look scarier and more determined than ever before. We finish 6th place in the league and 2nd place in both the division and conference with 109 pts, going 18-2-1 since acquiring Mattias Ekholm and end the season on a 14 game point streak and 9 game winning streak.

The 9 game win streak ties a franchise record set in 2001
It also helps us achieve our first 50 win season since 1986-87 and 4th in franchise history
27 of those wins came on the road, a franchise record
Speaking of franchise records, Stuart Skinner finishes the year with 29 wins, surpassing Grant Fuhr for most wins by a rookie net-minder
McDavid finishes with 153 points, the most in the cap era and joins a very small and elite list of players to reach the 150 pt plateau, as mentioned above he has already secured both the Art Ross and Rocket Richard, and will likely be the unanimous winner of the Hart and Ted Lindsay trophies
Draisaitl finishes with 128 points tying Kucherov for 2nd most in the cap era
Nugent-Hopkins also had over 100 points (104) making us the first team since the 95-96 penguins to have 3 players reach the mark
A big part of reaching those totals is our insane PowerPlay which at 32.4% is officially the greatest of all time, edging out the Montreal Canadiens of the 70's and New York Islanders of the 80's, it also set a new franchise record with 89 PP goals in a season and Leon Draisaitl tied Dave Andreychuk for 2nd most PP goals in a season by a player (32)
Sticking with special teams we also finish the season leading the league in Shorthanded goals with 18, hilariously that is just HALF of our franchise record set in the 80's
Our even strength play should not be overlooked though, we finish the season leading the entire NHL in goals for by 20, and are tied for 3rd highest goal differential in the league

What a season. Let's turn it into one to truly remember.

With the results of the games tonight we have a 1st round rematch against the LA Kings.

Both squads have improved since they met last season, and while it is a general consensus that the Oilers are the superior team, the Kings play style of trapping the neutral zone and sticking to you like glue is a direct counter to the Oilers high octane attack, although the Oilers have improved greatly in the defensive end as of late. As we all know anything can happen in the playoffs, but I suspect a 6 to 7 game series here, should be a good one. Worthy of note is that we finished 2nd in the pacific standings and LA was 3rd, giving us home ice advantage in RD 1 for the 2nd consecutive year.

Thats 82 games played and I'm excited for more to come. It was an up and down season to begin with but in the 2nd half it was nothing but up for our Edmonton Oilers. Very proud of our squad this year as they look scarier and more determined than ever before. We finish 6th place in the league and 2nd place in both the division and conference with 109 pts, going 18-2-1 since acquiring Mattias Ekholm and end the season on a 14 game point streak and 9 game winning streak.

The 9 game win streak ties a franchise record set in 2001
It also helps us achieve our first 50 win season since 1986-87 and 4th in franchise history
27 of those wins came on the road, a franchise record
Speaking of franchise records, Stuart Skinner finishes the year with 29 wins, surpassing Grant Fuhr for most wins by a rookie net-minder
McDavid finishes with 153 points, the most in the cap era and joins a very small and elite list of players to reach the 150 pt plateau, as mentioned above he has already secured both the Art Ross and Rocket Richard, and will likely be the unanimous winner of the Hart and Ted Lindsay trophies
Draisaitl finishes with 128 points tying Kucherov for 2nd most in the cap era
Nugent-Hopkins also had over 100 points (104) making us the first team since the 95-96 penguins to have 3 players reach the mark
A big part of reaching those totals is our insane PowerPlay which at 32.4% is officially the greatest of all time, edging out the Montreal Canadiens of the 70's and New York Islanders of the 80's, it also set a new franchise record with 89 PP goals in a season and Leon Draisaitl tied Dave Andreychuk for 2nd most PP goals in a season by a player (32)
Sticking with special teams we also finish the season leading the league in Shorthanded goals with 18, hilariously that is just HALF of our franchise record set in the 80's
Our even strength play should not be overlooked though, we finish the season leading the entire NHL in goals for by 20, and are tied for 3rd highest goal differential in the league

What a season. Let's turn it into one to truly remember.
This season has been unbelievable not only for Oilers fans but for NHL fans in general. McDavid, the Oilers PP, Erik Karlsson's accomplishments in San Jose, Seattle making the playoffs in only their second season, and the incomparable achievement of that Bruins team putting together the most wins in NHL history.

The performance of the two Oilers' Hall of Famers speaks for itself, but for me the real excitement was watching RNH come out of virtually nowhere and wildly exceed everyone's expectations.

This season has been unbelievable not only for Oilers fans but for NHL fans in general. McDavid, the Oilers PP, Erik Karlsson's accomplishments in San Jose, Seattle making the playoffs in only their second season, and the incomparable achievement of that Bruins team putting together the most wins in NHL history.

The performance of the two Oilers' Hall of Famers speaks for itself, but for me the real excitement was watching RNH come out of virtually nowhere and wildly exceed everyone's expectations.
You're right it was a very historic season, a lot of things we haven't seen for a while and some for the first time ever. Before I was around the 92-93 season was very similar, had a crazy surge in scoring that left us with some insane records including Teemu Selanne scoring 76 as a rookie!

Obviously watching McDavid put one of the greatest seasons of all time on display was the highlight for us but as a hockey fan in general the standings themselves were so exciting. We didn't have all 16 playoff teams clinch their spot until the Islanders played game 82. Yesterday morning we had just 1 playoff matchup set in stone, playoff seeding was still up for grabs until the final whistle, and with Colorado playing tonight it still is in the central division. Even at the bottom of the standings they have their own stanley cup to play for, the lottery for Connor Bedard. In case you didn't see him in the World Juniors Connor Bedard is the next generational talent to enter the league, all signs point to the fact he is going to be the successor of McDavid as the face of the NHL just like McDavid was to Crosby. The race for best odds went down to the wire as well with Anaheim securing last place (25.5% odds at 1st overall) with a loss of their own and both a Columbus and Chicago win.

End of the regular season of the NHL, and and after 82 games, all I have to say is: I FREAKING LOVE HOCKEY!

Last year, at this point, I had just started my journey to fall in love with this sport and this league. The somewhat surprising deep run of the Edmonton Oilers, the vibe around the city got a hold of my heart and made me excited for the next season, so I decided to follow the 2022-23 season from week 1.

As an Oilers fan, I am thrilled for the playoffs, and feel blessed for being able to watch players like Connor McDavid, Leon Draisatl, Stuart Skinner, RNH, Jay Woodcroft, and all of the team, really, make history for my favorite team.the 50 wins, 109 points, the spectacular power play, the two highest scoring players since 196-96 (Draisatl tied Kucherov for 2nd with 128 points), 3 100-point players... It's for the history books!
But it goes beyond that!

The amount of records broken and matched or, at the very least, the ones from the salary cap era, is impressive. The Bruins season... the tight race in the Western Conference, the 12 players with 100+ points, a D-man with 100+ points. A goalie in the race for the Calder, McDavid with 153 points making Draisatl the most under the radar record-tie in history with his 128 points). So many records broken or matched, some of which were taught to be unachievable in the Salary Cap era, great players emerging to join the greats of history.

Thank you, NHL, for welcoming a new fan with a historical season, the likes of which haven't been seen since the 1990s!!!

Bring the playoffs!

Let's go Oilers! Gotta bring Lord Stanley back home!

ps: Flames suck! Toronto WILL flop! Matthews is overrated!

Back