News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Edmonton Oilers

Desharnais is brasically a Buddhist monk. I wanted to maul the ref SO FREAKING BAD! If I was in his place, I would have not been able to hold it together, for sure...
i'm not sure about desharnais basically being a buddhist monk but i did - and do - think that was a terrible call and completely out of context with what had and hadn't been called up to that point in the game.

i also thought that what led up to the tying goal at the end of the game was pretty unfortunate "puck luck" for the oilers but that's why they play the games and why we watch them.

hopefully that protective/supportive spirit that seems to run pretty deeply through this team will allow them to focus on overcoming an unfortunate outcome and head to the forum with the series tied at one game apiece.

The first star of last night’s Oilers game: the referees!
They were not particularly good, no, but I'm pretty sure the boys drank a few Labatt 50s in the room between the 2nd and 3rd and had already ordered their Ubers to Barry T's for 11pm. The team we saw in the first and second simply didn't show up for the last 20 and completely let off the gas. It's a good lesson for the boys and there is plenty of time to recover from this, but it was a rookie mistake at this point in their cycle.

Anyways, GO OILERS GO!!!

Agree with assessments above.

One interesting comment I read elsewhere - with Oilers up 3-1, less than 10 minutes to go and it's a 4 on 4 situation and coach puts out McDavid and Draisaitl. Are we looking to pad our lead at that point or stay in solid defensive mode first? No doubt with those two out there it's our best chance to score, but is that the goal (pardon the pun) at that point or is it riskier?

As it turned out, LA scores in that situation to make it 3-2. Easy to judge after the fact, but in the same situation again, would you put that duo out there?

Anyway, GO OILERS GO!

Last edited:
Agree with assessments above.

One interesting comment I read elsewhere - with Oilers up 3-1, less than 10 minutes to go and it's a 4 on 4 situation and coach puts out McDavid and Draisaitl. Are we looking to pad our lead at that point or stay in solid defensive mode first? No doubt with those two out there it's our best chance to score, but is that the goal (pardon the pun) at that point or is it riskier?

As it turned out, LA scores in that situation to make it 3-2. Easy to judge after the fact, but in the same situation again, would you put that duo out there?

Anyway, GO OILERS GO!
In Drai you're putting out your best faceoff guy and in McD the fastest player in the league. No reason to not put them out. With more open ice that is exactly who you want out there.

^ That 4 on 4 situation is typically favourable for us, McDavid just made a rare error that led to a goal against. Knowing how competitive this man is I wouldn't expect that to happen again this series.

And yes the home team has lost 6 games in a row now these playoffs, I hope that is putting into perspective for people that Game 1 isn't that important. We were the better team last game but let it slip, hopefully they've learned their lesson.

^ That 4 on 4 situation is typically favourable for us, McDavid just made a rare error that led to a goal against. Knowing how competitive this man is I wouldn't expect that to happen again this series.

And yes the home team has lost 6 games in a row now these playoffs, I hope that is putting into perspective for people that Game 1 isn't that important. We were the better team last game but let it slip, hopefully they've learned their lesson.

I kinda think every game in a playoff series is important. Oilers did win two series last year and lost one after losing first game in the series. This is now the 5th series in a row dating back to 2021 where the Oilers have lost game 1 (they are 2-2 so far with this series as the tiebreaker).

In NHL best-of-seven series, the winner of Game 2 has gone 381-150 -- winning 71.8 percent of the series. Game 1 winners have gone 367-164 -- a 69.1 percent winning percentage.

while not disputing your statistics per se, the winners of game 2 that move on to win the series include both the winners of game 1 and the losers of game 1 - it's not a "reset". for the game 2 statistic to mean anything, it would have to be split out between the winners of game 1 who also win game 2 and the losers of game 1 who then win game 2... i would also think there is a statistically signifigant difference between whether the the team potentially up by 2-0 after the second game is the home team or the visiting team.

at the end of the day however, it's not really about the statistics at any point in a series or there wouldn't be a need to play the rest of the games because for both the fans and the players there's always a chance until there isn't.

having said all of that, i quite like the oilers chances of winning the series if they win tonight a lot more than if they lose tonight. go oilers go...

Last edited:
while not disputing your statistics per se, the winners of game 2 that move on to win the series include both the winners of game 1 and the losers of game 1 - it's not a "reset". for the game 2 statistic to mean anything, it would have to be split out between the winners of game 1 who also win game 2 and the losers of game 1 who then win game 2... i would also think there is a statistically signifigant difference between whether the the team potentially up by 2-0 after the second game is the home team or the visiting team.

at the end of the day however, it's not really about the statistics at any point in a series or there wouldn't be a need to play the rest of the games because for both the fans and the players there's always a chance until there isn't.

having said all of that, i quite like the oilers chances of winning the series if they win tonight a lot more than if they lose tonight. go oilers go...

Just to clarify from above stats

Teams that have won both games to go up, 2-0, have gone 254-37 -- 87.2 percent.

Game 2 winners who lost Game 1 have gone 127-113 (52.9 percent)

Back