News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.2K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Edmonton Oilers

FEATURE: The Next Chapter for Daryl Katz and OEG​

An Eric Fisher special feature for OEG Inc. on the story of the Edmonton Oilers, team owner Daryl Katz and the team's ICE District​

Oilers win their 7th in a row and are now 5th overall (but that can change after tonight's games), McJesus now has 64 goals and 151 points, Nuge now has 103 points, and Jason Demers has played 700 games in his first game of the season (Ceci was out because he's becoming a father). Just 2 more games left!

Oilers win their 7th in a row and are now 5th overall (but that can change after tonight's games), McJesus now has 64 goals and 151 points, Nuge now has 103 points, and Jason Demers has played 700 games in his first game of the season (Ceci was out because he's becoming a father). Just 2 more games left!
Anyone placing bets that McDavid will beat Ovechkin's record 65 goals in the salary cap era?

Skinner certainly deserves it. But the Calder is almost certainly going to Matty Beniers of the Kraken.
Yep. Beniers is certainly deserving, and don’t forget it’d be a great boon for the new franchise to get an award like that under their belt. Frankly, for that reason alone Beniers is a lock.

But realistically, Levins is right: Stu has been far more impactful on Edmonton’s season success than Beniers has been for his team. And goalie is a helluva lot harder position to find immediate success in as a rookie starter than 2nd line centre, especially when Stu essentially bailed out the team after the guy signed to be the starter began struggling hard.

Without Stu, the Oil probably aren’t even in the playoff picture instead of battling for first in the division (and 5th in the league!), while without Beniers Seattle is probably just fighting for a WC spot.

Yep. Beniers is certainly deserving, and don’t forget it’d be a great boon for the new franchise to get an award like that under their belt. Frankly, for that reason alone Beniers is a lock.

But realistically, Levins is right: Stu has been far more impactful on Edmonton’s season success than Beniers has been for his team. And goalie is a helluva lot harder position to find immediate success in as a rookie starter than 2nd line centre, especially when Stu essentially bailed out the team after the guy signed to be the starter began struggling hard.

Without Stu, the Oil probably aren’t even in the playoff picture instead of battling for first in the division (and 5th in the league!), while without Beniers Seattle is probably just fighting for a WC spot.
All valid points. But given that McDavid is getting the Art Ross, the Hart and Ted Lindsay and possibly the Rocket Richard (although Pastrnak is dangerously close), there will definitely be "hardware fatigue" about awarding yet another trophy to an overperforming Oilers player.

Nevertheless, I'm impressed by the contributions both players have made to their clubs. I was particularly delighted that Seattle made the playoffs this season. In the interests of the health of the league I always like to see franchises in new markets become competitive as quickly as possible.

All valid points. But given that McDavid is getting the Art Ross, the Hart and Ted Lindsay and possibly the Rocket Richard (although Pastrnak is dangerously close), there will definitely be "hardware fatigue" about awarding yet another trophy to an overperforming Oilers player.

Nevertheless, I'm impressed by the contributions both players have made to their clubs. I was particularly delighted that Seattle made the playoffs this season. In the interests of the health of the league I always like to see franchises in new markets become competitive as quickly as possible.
Agreed. I’m really not miffed if Stu doesn’t win and happy for Seattle to have a rising star. The only one that still bothers me is McDavid not winning the Calder because he missed 35 games with a broken collar bone so they gave it to the guy who had a less PPG average (and had already played eight seasons of pro hockey in the second best league on the planet).

Agreed. I’m really not miffed if Stu doesn’t win and happy for Seattle to have a rising star. The only one that still bothers me is McDavid not winning the Calder because he missed 35 games with a broken collar bone so they gave it to the guy who had a less PPG average (and had already played eight seasons of pro hockey in the second best league on the planet).
There was some guy on the Oilers in 1979-80 who was ruled ineligible for the Calder because he had played the previous season in the WHA as a 17 year old. This despite the fact he tied for the league scoring lead in his first NHL season. Nevertheless he went on to have a pretty decent career. Connor's in some very lofty company...

The Flames are out baby!

Hoping for a W tonight against the Avs, but it should be a pretty solid match up.
This is disappointing because I wanted to see the Flames play the Golden Knights. We've already seen a Golden Knights-Jets playoff series. I think a Calgary-Vegas matchup would have been highly entertaining, especially since the injury-prone Jack Eichel seems to be out again.

Back