Metro Line LRT | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Positive news
----

Doubling of the Gas Tax Fund to benefit all municipalities

May 12, 2021
AUMA is pleased with the Government of Canada’s decision to double the Gas Tax Fund (GTF) this year as a one-time increase in municipal infrastructure funding. The announcement represents an additional $2.2 billion for municipalities across Canada and $244 million for Alberta municipalities.

My hope is that the LRT development for St Albert will starts moving again as soon as developments for the Edmonton LRT start seeing finalized plans north of Yellowhead Trail. I think St Albert is taking a cautious approach making sure they don't do too much and then end up with no LRT to link with by the time they're ready to go.

St Albert can take all the time they want as long as they do it right and not punch a crossing right through the Henday interchange. That design is atrocious, abominable and an affront to motorists.

Learn from Edmonton's mistakes, not repeat them.
The Henday is Provincial jurisdiction so I doubt that would happen - just look at the proposed overpass planned for the Capital Line South extension over the Henday there.

You would think so, but Valley Line commits this exact heresy on the 87 Ave crossing to Lewis Farms. That interchange even curves away from the future depot / stop so the LRT could easily dodge it altogether, but nope.

Moreover these are official documents posted on the City of St Albert website.That implies AT has been consulted and approve of this hare-brained scheme, and it's not like this is some minor interchange either -- it's literally Highway 2 over 216.

It's pretty disgraceful that Calgary can get AT to customise the Stoney / Crowchild interchange to its liking, or even build a proper Deerfoot bypass for its BRT line of all things, but Edmonton can't. Then again, that might be why Edmonton's LRT expansions are moving ahead while Calgary's Green Line is stuck in a political quagmire.

Last edited:
You would think so, but Valley Line commits this exact crime on the 87 Ave crossing to Lewis Farms. That interchange even curves away from the future depot / stop so the LRT could easily dodge it altogether, but nope.

Moreover these are official documents, which imply that AT has been consulted and approve of this hare-brained scheme. It's not like this is some minor interchange either, it's literally Highway 2 over 216.

It's pretty disgraceful that Calgary can get AT to customise the Stoney / Crowchild interchange to its liking, or even build a proper Deerfoot bypass for its BRT line of all things, but Edmonton can't. Then again, that might be why Edmonton's LRT expansions are moving ahead while Calgary's Green Line is stuck in a political quagmire.
The Valley Line West crosses one (1) stop light going over the Henday. the tracks run parallel to 87th Ave, which has signalized entrances and exits onto the Henday, in the form of T intersections. the tracks are on the south side of the road, meaning they only block one of these exits. i'm not sure what the issue with that is. the exit already has traffic lights on it with a long cycle, the train would only block a couple turning movements that are already controlled by lights; the train is going to have a minimal impact on that intersection, and be moving waayyyy more people than the cars potentially stopped at the traffic light. given the relatively small scale of 87 Ave, that it's mostly for commuters as opposed to industrial traffic, and that the train would only mean an adjustment to a signal already there, I think it makes sense.
Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 11.10.40 AM.png

I wouldn't put too much store by St Albert's 'plan' as shared here. it's literally a line on a map, from a few years ago. it doesn't accurately reflect the Campbell station as shown in CoE's more recent documents, which hints to the design just being conceptual. The fact that the line they show goes through the interchange rather than around it is probably just for clarity's sake.
For what it's worth, I'm betting the line gets elevated over the whole interchange, as 216 is a major freight corridor and has minimum clearance requirements, which i would assume also apply to its approaches, but that's a bit of engineering that would make more sense to resolve a bit later, closer to the line actually being built.
It's also a train that, at full buildout into St Albert, already be carrying hundreds of people across that interchange during rush hour. slowing down a light cycle to accommodate that, even potentially at the expense of a dozen or two people in cars, is a pretty fair choice to make i think.

The issue with 87 Ave is obviously the mixing of traffic modes when a route that segregates the LRT alignment and reduces construction impact to traffic is evident. To ignore it and say the current scheme 'makes sense' is to excuse bad design and an abdication of judgement.

As to the St Albert interchange, the design report and flyover video make quite clear exactly what kind of interchange reconfigurations are planned, and what other options were considered and rejected. It is by no means 'a line on the map'.

Positive news
----

Doubling of the Gas Tax Fund to benefit all municipalities

May 12, 2021
AUMA is pleased with the Government of Canada’s decision to double the Gas Tax Fund (GTF) this year as a one-time increase in municipal infrastructure funding. The announcement represents an additional $2.2 billion for municipalities across Canada and $244 million for Alberta municipalities.

Thanks Trudeau!

The Valley Line West crosses one (1) stop light going over the Henday. the tracks run parallel to 87th Ave, which has signalized entrances and exits onto the Henday, in the form of T intersections. the tracks are on the south side of the road, meaning they only block one of these exits. i'm not sure what the issue with that is. the exit already has traffic lights on it with a long cycle, the train would only block a couple turning movements that are already controlled by lights; the train is going to have a minimal impact on that intersection, and be moving waayyyy more people than the cars potentially stopped at the traffic light. given the relatively small scale of 87 Ave, that it's mostly for commuters as opposed to industrial traffic, and that the train would only mean an adjustment to a signal already there, I think it makes sense.
View attachment 319282

I wouldn't put too much store by St Albert's 'plan' as shared here. it's literally a line on a map, from a few years ago. it doesn't accurately reflect the Campbell station as shown in CoE's more recent documents, which hints to the design just being conceptual. The fact that the line they show goes through the interchange rather than around it is probably just for clarity's sake.
For what it's worth, I'm betting the line gets elevated over the whole interchange, as 216 is a major freight corridor and has minimum clearance requirements, which i would assume also apply to its approaches, but that's a bit of engineering that would make more sense to resolve a bit later, closer to the line actually being built.
It's also a train that, at full buildout into St Albert, already be carrying hundreds of people across that interchange during rush hour. slowing down a light cycle to accommodate that, even potentially at the expense of a dozen or two people in cars, is a pretty fair choice to make i think.
Have you noticed the grading for ramps on the north side of 87 Ave east of the Henday? Maybe it's possible that they'll reconfigure the ramps in the future to not cross the tracks.

This story is a few years old but an interesting read for me. Maybe somebody here can provide context?
The MacEwan Station has capacity for 100 people, which doesn't seem like a lot next to facility like an arena. What is the capacity of our typical lrt stations such as Coliseum?
I guess this was designed prior to the arena but then one of the arguments given to locate arena where it is was because of the lrt station.

When metro line is built out further north enabling more utilization and people use it for hockey games or concerts, a max of 100 at a time on the platform could be a problem. Or is that not an issue?
Side note: article says arena capacity is 20,734 - I don't think it's that big is it?

Last edited:
When metro line is built out further north enabling more utilization and people use it for hockey games or concerts, a max of 100 at a time on the platform could be a problem. Or is that not an issue?
Side note: article says arena capacity is 20,734 - I don't think it's that big is it?

The overall seating capacity of Rogers Place is 20,734... when the ice is covered up and there is a stage in the middle and a concert is ready to be performed. When you need to use a 200 foot long by 85 foot wide sheet of ice for a hockey game, the capacity is diminished to 18,500 which is the number we are more used to.

I always took this as the upper portion of the station, so the bridge and concourse to the stairs/elevators/escalators, to have capacity of 100. The platform definitely has much more capacity than 100 in my opinion, i think they just want to limit having a crush event at the bottleneck. If you take the long way around and go in the 105st entrance it limits the bottleneck. I can still see why they would want people to use Bay/Enterprise though as there is much more capacity all around there (train length, frequency, and destinations)

Back