Metro Line LRT | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Kingsway fixes aren't in any official plans as far as i know. I'm sure it's been discussed but the main goal is getting service everywhere first. Kingsway is hundreds of millions to reduce traffic wait times, without bringing in any more riders.
This leg into Blatchford is being built earlier than it will probably be needed in terms of serving the immediate area, but it's being built now to get it ready for the jump across Walker Yard and onto Castle Downs and St Albert. that line is supposed to be the city's next big push; planning is mostly done, the goal is to have design etc shovel-ready for the next big round of provincial/federal funding, whenever that comes. (election 2023 maybe? hopefully?) basically this leg is needed for that major project, so it's getting built now so it isn't an obstacle later on, when go time arrives.

The southwest extension the next priority. Maybe by “big push”, we have different standards :)

The Metro Line expansion will occur in 3 phases:

• Phase 1 – NAIT to Blatchford
  • Phase 2 – Blatchford to Castle Downs
  • Phase 3 – Castle Downs to Campbell Road
Phase 1 of the Metro Line has started construction. City Council has identified extending Phase 2 of the Metro Line to Castle Downs as the next LRT Network priority following the Capital Line South LRT Phase 1 (Century Park to Ellerslie Road) extension.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_plans/transit/nw-lrt.aspx

When the city opens the new NAIT station, since it'll be much further from the PEA intersection and the trains can travel through it more quickly (and also without switching tracks), do you guys think that could mitigate the need for a grade-separation at PEA/106 Street?

Last edited:
When the city opens the new NAIT station, since it'll be much further from the PEA intersection and they trains can travel through it more quickly (and also without switching tracks), do you guys think that could mitigate the need for a grade-separation at PEA/106 Street?
Good catch, I think intersection impacts will decrease as trains will be able to cross much more quickly than with the current location of the NAIT Station.

A nice reminder video

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 1.16.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 1.16.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 1.16.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 1.18.36 PM.png

I still hope that St.Albert will be wise and partner up Edmonton to immediately extend the LRT into St.Albert rather than waiting till the line is built to start construction or worse just planning.
St Albert has actually been pretty pragmatic regarding this; they have a ROW reserved along St Albert Trail, with 3-4 station locations identified. The ROW has been fleshed out to the point that they know what side of the road the train will be on, and a basic idea of how traffic lanes will fit around stations. My understanding is that the soundwall movement that happened last summer was also in anticipation of the train, widening the roadspace so they can fit the train along the road. They have plans for it buried on their website somewhere (i'm not used to how they organize their stuff, i tried refinding it but gave up sorry) but yeah, they actually have a plan in place for LRT, so hopefully when the time comes they won't be left scrambling.
That being said, I think St Albert has a role to play in getting the Campbell Road extension built. The line coming out of Blatchford has design work done, but is not set in stone. there is still land aquisition, engineering work, and a whole host of neighbours to be won over to supporting LRT in their backyards. It is still going to take a lot of political capital to get that built. Having St Albert advocate for the line, especially 'phase II' after Castle Downs, would be hugely helpful in getting funding from other levels of government. i think this would be fair, as that second leg is largely to benefit them. cooperation and extra advocacy is a fair ask IMO.

I still hope that St.Albert will be wise and partner up Edmonton to immediately extend the LRT into St.Albert rather than waiting till the line is built to start construction or worse just planning.
Especially because partnering with Edmonton and doing concurrently would help them lower costs.

St Albert has actually been pretty pragmatic regarding this; they have a ROW reserved along St Albert Trail, with 3-4 station locations identified. The ROW has been fleshed out to the point that they know what side of the road the train will be on, and a basic idea of how traffic lanes will fit around stations. My understanding is that the soundwall movement that happened last summer was also in anticipation of the train, widening the roadspace so they can fit the train along the road. They have plans for it buried on their website somewhere (i'm not used to how they organize their stuff, i tried refinding it but gave up sorry) but yeah, they actually have a plan in place for LRT, so hopefully when the time comes they won't be left scrambling.
That being said, I think St Albert has a role to play in getting the Campbell Road extension built. The line coming out of Blatchford has design work done, but is not set in stone. there is still land aquisition, engineering work, and a whole host of neighbours to be won over to supporting LRT in their backyards. It is still going to take a lot of political capital to get that built. Having St Albert advocate for the line, especially 'phase II' after Castle Downs, would be hugely helpful in getting funding from other levels of government. i think this would be fair, as that second leg is largely to benefit them. cooperation and extra advocacy is a fair ask IMO.
This made me want to do some digging! I actually just searched LRT on the St. Albert website and I found that they are in stage 2 of LRT planning already. They've identified the route and stations, they aren't too bad in terms of location imo. Downtown St. Albert is beautiful but it sure is DEAD (when I've visited anyways). I'm still longing to go to the farmers market.

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 10.45.25 PM.png

Although there isn't really a timeline as to when St. Albert will look into building this extension, I think the fact that they're in stage 2 of planning is a good indicator that they want to move in this direction. However, I've heard from a classmate who lives there that the people are pretty hard to sway in terms of transit. Hopefully the two cities can work together on this, this has mutual benefit for a lot of reasons. I would love to be able to take the train from Castle Downs to St. Albert downtown to enjoy the farmers market and beyond!

The video of the 137 Avenue station shows a small station on either side of 127th street. How will that work? And along the route there are other stations that seem to be only for 1 direction instead of a single station. Why is that?

Interesting that they are showing one of the stops right above the Sturgeon river.

Preliminary work has been done on the alignment. The sound wall along the section from Hebert to Sturgeon rd was moved make a couple of meters over the last 2 years.

The video of the 137 Avenue station shows a small station on either side of 127th street. How will that work? And along the route there are other stations that seem to be only for 1 direction instead of a single station. Why is that?
i think you're referring to the station at 127 street and 137 avenue where the entrances are on either side of the intersection? The metro line to St Albert is supposed to be trenched for long sections, to avoid traffic issues and intersections. that particular station is underground, the two visible sections at the intersection are the entrances to the platform. They've also got split platform stations in one or two spots; the Valley Line has these at Hollyrood and Avonmore. one platform for each direction, staggered to fit the available space.
Like Archited said, it's all preliminary right now. This extension is the next big push (as opposed to the Capital Line south, which is pretty much shovel-ready according to the city, not much redesign to do there hopefully) and there's gonna be some tweaks and changes to the route design along the way. i think a lot of the design we see in that video is a reaction to the extant Metro Line and it's horrendous inability to cross traffic effectively. I remember there being a lot of discussion around trenching, which is cheaper than tunnelling, but still way more expensive than being at grade. they did it at key intersections only. It will be interesting to see if any of those priorities change, ie more trenching and fewer crossings (maybe Castle Downs Road at 153?) or if cost becomes the deciding factor and things move back to grade. I think as the Valley Line West wraps up 2025-2027 the debates around that will heat up again as this project comes back into view.

It would be a minor miracle if even the section to Castle Downs went through. At a minimum, the bridge over the CN yards will probably be held up until Yellowhead Trail is done, and the depot at Heritage Valley has to be built to store the extra trains needed.

Last edited:

Back