Metro Line LRT | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

What/where did you get that capacity from? It definitely isn't a fire code thing, those platforms are well-served by exits. i remember hearing (second-hand from a news story i never read myself) that the city was limiting passenger capacity at Macewan when it first opened due to the metro line being super-duper-extra buggered signalling-wise to prevent bottlenecks and large crowds trying to use the 3-car trains to go south. i remember when Rogers was first opened all official wayfinding directed people to Bay station (despite Churchill and Central being a virtually identical walk away; I timed it over the course of my downtown adventures) so that the crowds would wind up having access to full 5-car trains, on an otherwise underused platform. I think the hope was that most people were too unfamiliar with DT geography that they would follow the directions. Rogers place was also built to have most of the audience enter from the south, and any crowds coming out of Macewan Station would probably overwhelm the internal hallways. I think this plan to redirect people to the south was the genesis of the 100-person capacity, as an excuse to redirect people elsewhere.

At this point the Metro line is shorter than the Capital line, so perhaps it still makes sense to try funnel more people directly to the major line.

It seems the platform here is too small already, but if the metro line is expanded significantly they will definitely need to do some reconfiguration here.

Regarding the Blatchford extension:

"Construction work for 2021 includes:

• Realigning 109 Street between Princess Elizabeth Avenue and 118 Avenue
  • Continuing underground utility work
  • Constructing the stations, station platforms and utility buildings
  • Installing the concrete trackway for the LRT tracks
  • Adding landscaping along 109 Street"

Progress continues on the Metro Line LRT to Blatchford. This summer, crews are installing underground utilities, the concrete trackway and are even starting work on the LRT stations!
unnamed.jpg

Small update from the Blatchford residents newsletter.

walked down 109 st behind NAIT today to see what i could see. the South end of the extension is looking pretty far along; 109 Street itself is all dug up to allow for tracks etc to be laid. it looks a lot busier in person, this was taken through the fence. the platform itself is just behind the grey fence on the right, behind the army facility.
IMG_1519.JPG

I was also able to see the northern station, where the platform and access ramps are starting to show. This was takein from a ways away through a fence, but the segment on the left is a ramp, and the long section is obviously a platform. there's a fire hydrant right next to a roughly level with and next to the platform. it was too far away. is this not an island platform, are these platforms gonna be part of the sidewalk like on the valley line, just taller? idk. i wish i could get closer lol.
IMG_1523.JPG

Didn't get a photo for this, but i noticed that 118 Ave lines up with Blatchford Road. (i'm sure that's on a map somewhere that i just ignored, but idk) last time i was in Blatchford, it looked like Blatchford Road was being extended straight East, with sewer and other utilities slowly taking shape in the section between the West edge of the lake and the former runway. there is also a lot of road infrastructure going in with the train (ie a crazy number of fire hydrants). Assuming 118 will eventually connect across the tracks, will we see this connection open in time with the new LRT tracks in 2025?

Back