News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

There's no inherent reason why a concrete building would have to be demolished after, say, 70 years. It just comes down to maintenance of the buildings systems and the envelope.

The old control tower has plenty of life left in it and is a great example of International style architecture.

I thought it housed a variety of entities, not just F8 headquarters. Where would all the occupants go?

I would prefer it not come down also, was more just my gut feeling on the matter as I've always been intrigued by that part of the building and the possibilities it holds.

KLM regularly has seat sales in the $600-800 range and direct flights (especially on the way home) are most definitely worth a premium.

We just booked YYC-AMS in March for $634, but paid 300 more on the return to go direct.

Keep an eye out (sign up for notifications) at https://yegdeals.com

Thanks Ian! Definitely will sign up to get alerts and hope I can get as good a deal as you did.

Interesting. It is probably not a bad idea from a business point of view, particularly for the two big legacy air lines that have to try get their finances back in shape.

However, two things - it may open the door to more competition and it may make connecting at hubs more painful with longer lay overs.

For what its worth, here is another interesting more positive recent article, however this one sounds a bit too good to be true.

Hey folks looking to get some advice here.

My girlfriend and I are seriously thinking of going to Europe this fall (likely November) and started to do some research into flights. Ideally, I would like to take KLM directly to Amsterdam so not to deal with any connections and to get there as soon as possible without delay. As well as to support YEG and this route. Prices are a bit steep so if anyone here has taken this route, how was the experience? Worth the extra pay? As well, since I haven't gone to Europe in many years, would it be worthwhile to wait a few months and keep an eye on prices?

Thanks all.

In my opinion, KLM is the only way to fly to Europe. Definitely worth the premium.

Hey folks looking to get some advice here.

My girlfriend and I are seriously thinking of going to Europe this fall (likely November) and started to do some research into flights. Ideally, I would like to take KLM directly to Amsterdam so not to deal with any connections and to get there as soon as possible without delay. As well as to support YEG and this route. Prices are a bit steep so if anyone here has taken this route, how was the experience? Worth the extra pay? As well, since I haven't gone to Europe in many years, would it be worthwhile to wait a few months and keep an eye on prices?

Thanks all.
KLM has their Dream Deals every so often. In 2022, they had them available for purchase in March and September. I don't believe there is a set time when they happen, probably more when they want to stir up demand. Only select European destinations would be on sale but for those that are, the deals can be quite good. Sign up for the KLM Canada emails. Also, as mentioned before, YEG Deals is a good site to follow as well.

There's no inherent reason why a concrete building would have to be demolished after, say, 70 years. It just comes down to maintenance of the buildings systems and the envelope.

The old control tower has plenty of life left in it and is a great example of International style architecture.

I thought it housed a variety of entities, not just F8 headquarters. Where would all the occupants go?

Reimagine Architecture (then Manasc Isaac) did a design study on it back in 2015.
Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 5.32.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 5.32.53 PM.png

What's wrong with connecting to the LRT and going downtown?

If I was in Edmonton for the first time as a tourist, business traveler or an investor, I would not be impressed by the wait times and the separate fares for the LRT and the 747 bus. Nor are any of the folks who decide which cities will host conventions and events. This direct bus route between the airport and downtown is supposed to be a solution to all that.

Last edited:
The Capital Line would be too long without the addition of a new barn for more LRVs to maintain existing headways. You would have a nearly 40 km-long single LRT line if the existing Capital Line was extended to the Airport, which would lead to much longer end-to-end trips that would need more trains to provide service to.

Exactly! I have done it a number of times and it works fairly well. LRT service is fairly frequent and its not that confusing even for a visitor (there is only one LRT line, close to where the 747 stops).

My one recommendation to the city would to be quit being so cheap (like they always are) when it comes to transit and just include a transfer to LRT or bus when you pay for the 747.

The article is interesting. It states the service would be mostly used by people who work at the airport not visitors, so you would think these people live here and so would be familiar enough with the LRT to get downtown.

I recall we used to have a fairly good Sky Shuttle service I used to often take (it stopped at various hotels), but they made it cumbersome to prebook and pay for ahead of time and more expensive, so I stopped taking that. I found using the Bus/LRT and 747 actually easier to schedule so started using that instead. Maybe if they made it more user friendly it could again adequately serve downtown hotels for business travellers and other visitors.

As usual the city misses the point. It is not that we really need additional services, but we need to make what we have more user friendly.

Back