News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

The YEG website says 10,000 work at the airport. In marketing, it's much easier to keep the customers you have than to attract new ones, so I would think a loyal base of employees who repeatedly use the service would be the way to grow the service. (Last time I took the 747, I'd estimate of the 40 people on board, 20 were employees, 10 travellers and 10 shoppers from the outlets, give or take)

Why make such a big deal about the distinction? We should be trying to serve employees, locals, leisure travelers, and business travelers alike.

Workers are like a subscription business model. Recurring revenue.

Tourists are like a mattress seller.

Business travellers like a restaurant.

Very different costs of acquisition and lifetime values.

Make it work for the workers and then turn attention to travellers. Most travellers that come here need a car to get around though, so they’re either renting or hitching rides with coworkers/family/friends. A super good bus connection to the airport means nothing if you need a car for the 3 days in the city.

Toronto has a great airport connector, but I still need a car while their, so I rarely use it. Vancouver has a great skytrain connection and I only use transit while there, so I take the train.

It’s not just about getting from the airport to a hotel. It’s the entire feasibility of using transit in the city vs needing a car.

I just worry we won't get this right if people think its mostly for workforce transportation. We need convenience, speed, security, a good price point, seamless experience. I agree there should be a monthly pass for workforce, but would like to see the service compete with the best in the world for city-airport transit.

"🎉 Congratulations to @FlyYEG to be the first airport in North America to have been accredited in the new #ACIWorld Public Health & Safety Readiness Accredited program!"
source: twitter

Does anyone know what exactly this means?

When I think of what we could do with LRT to the airport and Leduc, I think of the one subway line I would take all the way from the Far Rockaway area on long island to Manhattan that had a stop near JFK. It just makes me dream of seeing our little LRT system do something similar.

This comes up every so often when the dense fog sets in but I really think as a serious airport YEG should be planning to invest in upgraded approach capabilities. Just watched Flair 2798 abort it's landing and today is second day of many flights being delayed cancelled. The upgrades wouldn't fix everything but indeed we should have the best ILS ratings possible which can be a selling feature for service to the airport.

When I think of what we could do with LRT to the airport and Leduc, I think of the one subway line I would take all the way from the Far Rockaway area on long island to Manhattan that had a stop near JFK. It just makes me dream of seeing our little LRT system do something similar.

Now all we need is 7,000,000 more people and 60,000,000 visitors.... annually;)

Ouch!

--

Summer 2023 Europe Seats vs. Summer 2019

Toronto 5,392,000 -12%
Montreal 4,161,000 +12%
Vancouver 1,276,000 -14%
Calgary 1,033,000 +37%
Halifax 134,800 -15%
Edmonton 75,500 -30%
Quebec City 71,200 +85%
Hamilton 46,000 +45%
Whitehorse 7,800 -7%

Ouch!

--

Toronto 5,392,000 -12%
Montreal 4,161,000 +12%
Vancouver 1,276,000 -14%
Calgary 1,033,000 +37%
Halifax 134,800 -15%
Edmonton 75,500 -30%
Quebec City 71,200 +85%
Hamilton 46,000 +45%
Whitehorse 7,800 -7%

Ouch especially for Ottawa, a city our size, with none. Nor Winnipeg.

Surprising to see Quebec City have such growth.

Obviously Westjets change in strategy has given YYC a major boost. And many of those seats will be filled by people in YEG.

I don't even consider WJ for any domestic flights anymore. Some good options out there for that thankfully.

Ouch!

--

Toronto 5,392,000 -12%
Montreal 4,161,000 +12%
Vancouver 1,276,000 -14%
Calgary 1,033,000 +37%
Halifax 134,800 -15%
Edmonton 75,500 -30%
Quebec City 71,200 +85%
Hamilton 46,000 +45%
Whitehorse 7,800 -7%

Ya those are real stats but have you seen YEG's strategically targeted massive +% increase in LinkedIn posts on cargo sustainability, airport council safety, drone delivery awareness award posts?

I have absolutely no doubt YEG leads all Canadian cities on a %, absolute and per capita basis in all categories that have absolutely nothing to do with its core business of providing more routes for moving passengers!

Last edited:
Ouch especially for Ottawa, a city our size, with none. Nor Winnipeg.

Surprising to see Quebec City have such growth.

Obviously Westjets change in strategy has given YYC a major boost. And many of those seats will be filled by people in YEG.

I don't even consider WJ for any domestic flights anymore. Some good options out there for that thankfully.
WS’s laughable “business plan” of having 10 flight a day to the ‘Peg . Come on, how many people are on board? Wait a minute, WS is so desperate for any bums in those outrageous European destinations that they’ll fire sale seats to the “
‘Peg, Sask and Regina and of course YEG. Cause we know YVR and YYZ based passengers will snub their nose at “backtracking to the City of Cows.,” when they have their own direct flights. Those monthly payments of 55 Million on the interest alone on their new terminal and payments to Boeing on a 3rd of the price of their new 787’s will cripple them….ONEX is gonna drop them like a sack of Kaiju shit next year.

I usually avoid commenting on YYC but it must be scary for them to have almost all transatlantic capacity tied up with one airline that has already declared all of its overseas flying as not a key part of their business plan going forward.

I usually avoid commenting on YYC but it must be scary for them to have almost all transatlantic capacity tied up with one airline that has already declared all of its overseas flying as not a key part of their business plan going forward.

Actually WestJet announced plans to consolidate most overseas flying on the WS Boeing 787 towards Calgary YYC it's main hub in Canada.

And WestJet is going continue fly international destinations. But it will be more leisurely 1's like in Mexico & Europe.

Ouch!

--

Toronto 5,392,000 -12%
Montreal 4,161,000 +12%
Vancouver 1,276,000 -14%
Calgary 1,033,000 +37%
Halifax 134,800 -15%
Edmonton 75,500 -30%
Quebec City 71,200 +85%
Hamilton 46,000 +45%
Whitehorse 7,800 -7%

Yep, the big 4 Toronto YYZ, Vancouver YVR, Montreal YUL & Calgary YYC is doing fairly well agian with more Domestic/ US/ International flight frequencies✅.

While other airports in Canada like Edmonton YEG, Winnipeg YWG, Ottawa YOW, Halifax YHZ etc, are still trying to catch-up & have a longer road to recover from the pandemic.

Back