News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Asia is a likely no-go until COVID is completly settled down. Even Vancouver's Asia service has been drastically cut. Additional flights to Europe are quite doable in my opinion in summer 2022, unless COVID comes back big time. I predict we will see Westjet return at some point in the future with London service, and likely a Germany service from one of the European carriers. Air Canada's Asia flying has been drastically cut back, so they might be looking for routes with proven demand (e.g. London) as well.

Asia is a likely no-go until COVID is completly settled down. Even Vancouver's Asia service has been drastically cut. Additional flights to Europe are quite doable in my opinion in summer 2022, unless COVID comes back big time. I predict we will see Westjet return at some point in the future with London service, and likely a Germany service from one of the European carriers. Air Canada's Asia flying has been drastically cut back, so they might be looking for routes with proven demand (e.g. London) as well.
May @God hear you on that Germany flight!

Neither WestJet nor Transat are focused on YEG (unless they are forced to by competition). The codeshare seems to tie the two carriers together and chain them to their existing hubs.

This just opens up more opportunity for Flair, or any other carrier (Porter?) that wishes to focus on YEG.

Neither WestJet nor Transat are focused on YEG (unless they are forced to by competition). The codeshare seems to tie the two carriers together and chain them to their existing hubs.

This just opens up more opportunity for Flair, or any other carrier (Porter?) that wishes to focus on YEG.

WestJet flies to 30 destinations, non-stop from Edmonton. Saying we are not a focus for them is just downright silly.

It suppose it probably helps shore up Westjet and Air Transat in their battles against Air Canada, so might make some sense for them.

In terms of air service, I don't know if it matters much to us here though. Except for certain US destinations, West Jet doesn't really focus on international air service here.

Strange, it was just a while ago, Air Canada was going take over Air Transat, now it seems to be getting closer to Westjet instead.

they do the minimum needed to defend their market share

That's not the same as focusing on a city and trying to grow service.

I disagree. The minimum would be Calgary, Toronto, Vancouver and a few regional routes in Western Canada. The fact they fly to places like St. John's and Halifax, bypassing their hubs on routes without any competition is growing service. They are the only airline flying to the US right now from YEG, they could have easily made us connect in Calgary as there would be no alternative.

Again 30 cities is the definition of focusing on a city, it is roughly the same number of destinations they serve from Vancouver, which they consider a hub.

I can't remember the last time WestJet opened a significant new route out of YEG and that would be the tell-tale sign, in my opinion, of their competitive posture in YEG. Most of the destinations they offer are vestiges of a past era when they operated more point-to-point and had more of a YEG focus.

I can't remember the last time WestJet opened a significant new route out of YEG and that would be the tell-tale sign, in my opinion, of their competitive posture in YEG. Most of the destinations they offer are vestiges of a past era when they operated more point-to-point and had more of a YEG focus.

They're starting non-stop to Honolulu in December, they started St. John's in 2019, Kamloops, Nanaimo and Penticton in 2021.

Not one of these routes supports the Calgary hub model, nor your assertion that YEG is not a focus for WestJet.

Back