News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Maybe with EIA finally focusing on what matters, this gap might tighten a little bit.
Realistically, there is no demand in AB for both YEG and YYC to have all the same flights (or the same volume) and, unless Edmonton lands a "Northern Disneyland" to boost tourism, we simply cannot compete with YYC in terms of routes, essentially because of their proximity with Alberta's main tourist destinations.
Not that YEG doesn't deserver (or can support) flights to some major destinations, like Chicago, NYC, Boston, Atlanta and maybe even a major European hub (for work reasons, I would love if we could get Munich, but that's just me daydreaming), but I believe that EIA's strategy should focus on getting more US and LATAM destinations, as those are popular, not very well served by the current companies and could provide a number of interesting connections.
Competing with YYC for Paris, Barcelona or London is a waste of resources and time. Let's get Santiago, Rio, São Paulo, Buenos Aires, Cartagena, Lima, Panama City...
KLM already flies to Amsterdam.

YEG has had service to London for decades and I would expect nothing less going forward...don't concede that to something only YYC can offer ... that is simply not the case. Take a look at the Flair effect where Edmonton now has air service to all provinces and 2 out of 3 territories - something only matched by Toronto. Edmonton is better positioned geographically to be a european hub than Calgary, so just wait and see, and in the meantime, support Flair and keep spreading the word about the fantastic attractions in Edmonton that international tourists want to see (if only they knew about them).

This is a good thing - EIA should've never been in the business of managing commercial properties outside of the terminal building imo.
I'm sorry but I read this article differently...the way I read this is that thanks to the partnership with ONE, EIA will pass over to ONE the management of commercial properties so it can continue to focus on property development.....NOT so that it can focus on core airport operations such as route development. This still reads to me like EIA is all about land development, just not land and property management anymore. So no, I dont see this as a good thing, in fact, I see this as EIA doubling down on focusing on property development, which still is not its course business.

Where has this pernicious idea come from that YEG cannot be involved in land development?

Please see attached interview with Toronto Airport CEO who actively promotes their land development activities. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...lans-when-she-took-over-pearson-airport-then/

Right now, its the name of the game to leverage your assets, to develop other sources of revenue to keep aircraft fees down as low as possible. YEG is off to an early start. Why on earth would you think this is a bad thing? Boggles the mind. This is the way of the future for airports across North America and we are fortunate to have leaders at EIA that actually understand the industry.

Where has this pernicious idea come from that YEG cannot be involved in land development?

Please see attached interview with Toronto Airport CEO who actively promotes their land development activities. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...lans-when-she-took-over-pearson-airport-then/

Right now, its the name of the game to leverage your assets, to develop other sources of revenue to keep aircraft fees down as low as possible. YEG is off to an early start. Why on earth would you think this is a bad thing? Boggles the mind. This is the way of the future for airports across North America and we are fortunate to have leaders at EIA that actually understand the industry.
I don't read it as them being against YEG having development; they just prefer that a third party be in charge of overseeing said development. As far as I know, there aren't any regular contributors here who don't want to see more development at YEG.

That's why it is good we have industry experts managing these assets and not keyboard warriors who think the lack of direct flights to Chicago, for example, is evidence that everyone at EIA must be incompetent.

I don't read it as them being against YEG having development; they just prefer that a third party be in charge of overseeing said development. As far as I know, there aren't any regular contributors here who don't want to see more development at YEG.
That's correct and a very level head response without the "keyboard warrior"ness comments.

Land development = good

Focusing on land development while core business concrete KPIs perform poorly = not good

Can ONE or someone else focus on land development AND management while EIA focuses on and improves route development, which is their ultimate core business? = possible solution

Last edited:
I suppose if one of your major assets is a lot of land, whether it is your main focus or not, you need to think about land development which can have important long term financial and other implications for the organization.

However, property management is another story. You probably do not want to focus too much on the day to day management after the land is developed. This makes sense to me.

YEG is sitting pretty when it comes to air service in '22, with possible exception of a few US biz routes and a couple additional European destinations. I don't get it when people complain that YEG doesn't know how to attract flights because this seems to go against the actual evidence as shown over the past week of (unparalleled) route announcements. And I suspect there will be more to come.

YEG is sitting pretty when it comes to air service in '22, with possible exception of a few US biz routes and a couple additional European destinations. I don't get it when people complain that YEG doesn't know how to attract flights because this seems to go against the actual evidence as shown over the past week of (unparalleled) route announcements. And I suspect there will be more to come.
I agree, and that was my point up there. We're getting flights, good ones, lots of "sun destinations" and a few more Canadian connections. I'd like to see us get Minneapolis, Chicago, at least one major city in the US East Coast (NYC, Boston or DC) and maybe another major European route (London, possibly?). We should focus on retain and strengthen the routes we currently have, get more frequency on a lot of them, make these flights a staple of YEG. The best we can do is to give preference do Flair whenever possible and, eventually, they'll grow to become a stronger player and maybe add in some flights that other companies would never do. Other than that, the only path I see to flight expansion is to places either not served by YYC and/or YVR, or underserved.
It's not a matter of caving to YYC or whatever, it's just a good business strategy in very, very challenging times.
I still think that there's a focus issue with EIA's administration and a lot of communication issues between the CoE, EIA and other interested parties, and some degree of complacency and resignation regarding major destinations that can be addressed, but from a business perspective, these are minor, considering the relatively good results EIA has been yielding in the past few weeks.

Yeah, I'm really happy with the new routes as well! I think general annoyance and the inferiority complex can get to us all sometimes and cloud good things happening.

Would it hurt to look at the big picture and ask for more flights to Europe and Asia? I thinking London, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Hong Kong....
Who's gonna give them those flights to Asia? Flair and Swoop aren't big enough, Air Canada won't even give them an international flight, and Westjet probably won't do it either. They might get some to Europe, but I highly doubt they're getting any flights to Asia anytime soon.

Maybe with EIA finally focusing on what matters, this gap might tighten a little bit.
Realistically, there is no demand in AB for both YEG and YYC to have all the same flights (or the same volume) and, unless Edmonton lands a "Northern Disneyland" to boost tourism, we simply cannot compete with YYC in terms of routes, essentially because of their proximity with Alberta's main tourist destinations.
Not that YEG doesn't deserver (or can support) flights to some major destinations, like Chicago, NYC, Boston, Atlanta and maybe even a major European hub (for work reasons, I would love if we could get Munich, but that's just me daydreaming), but I believe that EIA's strategy should focus on getting more US and LATAM destinations, as those are popular, not very well served by the current companies and could provide a number of interesting connections.
Competing with YYC for Paris, Barcelona or London is a waste of resources and time. Let's get Santiago, Rio, São Paulo, Buenos Aires, Cartagena, Lima, Panama City...
while not disagreeing with you, i seem to recall at one time that there were "overflight issues" on routing through american airspace. i can also remember when too many passport stamps from places like panama and columbia could make us entry and/or connections problematic.

Back