News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

They're starting non-stop to Honolulu in December, they started St. John's in 2019, Kamloops, Nanaimo and Penticton in 2021.

Not one of these routes supports the Calgary hub model, nor your assertion that YEG is not a focus for WestJet.
Not that I disagree entirely with you, but I'm trying to understand the reasons for your fierce defense of WJ...

Not that I disagree entirely with you, but I'm trying to understand the reasons for your fierce defense of WJ...

I am a frequent flyer but I almost exclusively fly Air Canada (who DOES do the bare minimum here, but I'm a loyal Aeroplan collector). But this narrative of WestJet underserving Edmonton is tiring and I believe in giving credit where credit is due.

I am a frequent flyer but I almost exclusively fly Air Canada (who DOES do the bare minimum here, but I'm a loyal Aeroplan collector). But this narrative of WestJet underserving Edmonton is tiring and I believe in giving credit where credit is due.
While I agree that WJ doesn't UNDERSERVE YEG, their long-term model is clearly focused on their YYC hub.

They're starting non-stop to Honolulu in December, they started St. John's in 2019, Kamloops, Nanaimo and Penticton in 2021.

Not one of these routes supports the Calgary hub model, nor your assertion that YEG is not a focus for WestJet.
I will believe that when I see Westjet return flights to Gatwick or Heathrow from YEG.

I don't think WestJet to Honolulu is new. It was originally one of the routes served by their 767s. That has got to be about 4 years ago now?

I'm not sure when the secondary BC routes started but I thought some of them were around earlier too.

I'm very happy to be proven wrong, if WestJet decides to build up a true hub at YEG, and open up US-Europe connections through YEG for example. Build on YEG's position on the polar routing to Europe - would be good news.

I don't think WestJet to Honolulu is new. It was originally one of the routes served by their 767s. That has got to be about 4 years ago now?

I'm not sure when the secondary BC routes started but I thought some of them were around earlier too.

I'm very happy to be proven wrong, if WestJet decides to build up a true hub at YEG, and open up US-Europe connections through YEG for example. Build on YEG's position on the polar routing to Europe - would be good news.
I am suspicious that the arrival of Flair is what has prompted WestJet to focus more on Edmonton again. If that is the case, it could be transitory and too soon to celebrate.

I agree some progress on routes to Europe would be a sign of a more solid commitment from WestJet.

I think in a duopoly model, Air Canada sort of cedes certain markets to WestJet in some parts of the country (and WestJet does likewise elsewhere), so that probably best explains their low level of engagement here. However, I sense the duopoly may break be breaking down a bit now, so perhaps that may change.

In an effort to reach airport management and the Board on my personal concerns over YEG's continued decline in air service since well before the pandemic, I have penned and sent the letter below. I am sharing with this forum and encourage others to reach out as well.

I would like to begin by thanking the Board and management for your service and commitment to ensuring the health and safety of all passengers during the pandemic. I have utilized the airport on a few occasions recently and truly feel that my health and safety were the utmost priority.

I am writing to the Board and management to flag my concern with the decline of airline relationships and key global routes that service EIA and its customers. This concern has been negatively impacting the greater Edmonton region for several years even before COVID-19 and has disadvantageously positioned EIA and the Edmonton region at risk of not reaching its full economic recovery potential in a post-pandemic and increasingly competitive world.

In EIA’s Airport City Fact Sheet, EIA notes that air service is “at the core of our business”. While I acknowledge positive strides have been made such as the retention of KLM to Amsterdam and the establishment of Flair’s operational base, I am more concerned than ever about EIA’s emerging relegation to a large regional and LCC airport. This disappointing trend is evident when considering the following:

• From 2015 to 2019, annual passenger totals remained relatively flat fluctuating around ~8.0MM passengers, yet transborder passengers declined (21%) from 1.2MM to 0.97MM and international passengers declined (15%) from 526K to 450K while domestic passengers increased 13% from 5.5MM to 6.2MM
    • For perspective, the combined decline in transborder and international passengers (333K) was more than offset by the increase in domestic passengers (710K)
  • In that same time frame the airport lost key global air service connections to LAX and DFW on American Airlines; SFO, ORD, EWR on United Airlines; LHR on Air Canada, SEA on Delta Airlines; and experienced reductions in seats or frequencies to other key global routes
  • Unprosperous public relationships with airline partners over the past several years demonstrating unconstructive developments or outlooks
    • Air Canada Vice President Derek Vanstone’s 2013 comments regarding disappointment towards EIA with regards to the LHR route and Icelandair before canceling the route in 2015
    • Air Canada’s reference to Edmonton as a secondary city in 2019 concerning A220 use
    • American Airlines June 2021 announcement of 80 years of service in Canada with commitments to continued or expanded air service in Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Halifax, Quebec City, and Ottawa
    • Delta Airlines withdrawal from Edmonton after several decades of route service to MSP
    • Air Canada’s lack of long-term commitment to key domestic routes such as Saskatoon, Regina, Kelowna, or Victoria, for example
I acknowledge that I am not privy to non-public discussion and the above is based on public information and observations; however, as a concerned frequent user of EIA and by virtue of the declining state of air service at EIA, a now supporter of connecting in Toronto, Vancouver, and Calgary, I would very much appreciate the opportunity to learn how the Board and management plan to strategically position the airport to reverse the decline in air service and improve relationships with our biggest airline partners, especially Air Canada. Additionally, I encourage the Board and management to recognize the bigger picture impact my concern has on the Edmonton regions future post-pandemic economic development.

Thanks for sharing. Well done in summarizing that recent history at EIA and highlighting the concerns many in the Edmonton region feel.

I read there is a petition to get a direct flight from YYC to India and that such petitions if enough signatures can be gathered at least prompt the airlines to further investigate such routes. Of course Edmonton's population and demographics are being used to support this YYC flight.

And as Edmontonian I think I would rather fly through Toronto than Calgary if I'm going to have one stop - breaks up a long flight a bit more.
Folks, as an update, I received a response today from one of the EIA executives. They are interested in having a virtual chat with me this week to discuss the issues and facts I highlighted in my letter pasted above.

This is a good lesson that while certain individuals on this forum have no problem posting ignorant comments such as "keyboard warrior" (on a no names basis is an ironic comment to make from behind their keyboard...) that you don't know what efforts others are doing in the community outside of this forum. If more people reached out to EIA to express their concerns, or worked with various business groups to pitch Edmonton to airlines, or advocated on certain community boards, or many many other possibilities, there is the possibility to make even the smallest impact.

I will share the responses from EIA management as an update here once we have connected (tentatively scheduled for this week).

Maui has been operated for years, Honolulu is new.

nihbtqq94o181.jpg

And another bit of news

Some additional details - see bold parts:

New Routes
USA
• Toronto – Nashville (YYZ-BNA) - 2x weekly starting April 14, 2022
• Toronto – Denver (YYZ-DEN) - 3x weekly starting April 15, 2022
• Edmonton – Nashville (YEG-BNA) - 2x weekly starting April 14, 2022
• Edmonton – San Francisco (YEG-SFO) - 2x weekly starting April 14, 2022

• Vancouver – San Francisco (YVR-SFO) - 3x weekly May 17, 2022

CANADA

• Calgary – Comox (YYC-YQQ) - 3x weekly starting March 29, 2022
• Edmonton – Comox (YEG-YQQ) - 3x weekly starting March 29, 2022
• Edmonton – Regina (YEG-YQR) - 2x weekly starting April 14, 2022
• Edmonton – Montreal (YEG-YUL) - 3x weekly starting April 15, 2022
• Edmonton – Winnipeg (YEG-YWG) - 3x weekly starting April 15, 2022
• Edmonton – Saskatoon (YEG-YXE) - 3x weekly starting April 15, 2022

• Toronto – Victoria (YYZ-YYJ) - 1x weekly starting May 7, 2022
• Vancouver – Kelowna (YVR-YLW) - 3x weekly starting May 16, 2022
• Kelowna – Victoria (YLW–YYJ) - 3x weekly starting May 16, 2022

source: https://storage.googleapis.com/flyf...air_Airlines_grows_schedule_33_5c278c55a0.pdf
I learned today that Nashville is one of Edmonton's official sister cities.

We now have air service to two of our 5 sister cities - Gatineau (Ottawa airport) and Nashville.

Back