News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

257193964_4558335067553586_1098850941506433919_n.jpg

Edmonton Moncton seems a good fit. the number of people that still fly in for work from that part of the country is still quite high. There are guys flying in to YEG to catch a flight to Kitimat as well.
Yes, if people are flying north of Edmonton, it makes more sense to have direct to Edmonton rather than Calgary and then possibly have another connection. I think even Westjet who seems to love to run everything through to Calgary has figured out if they tried that here, Flair would come in and scoop away the route. A bit more competition is not a bad thing, the duopoly has held back service here for years.

... now, if they would only do something about those international flights where you have to fly south to Calgary, connect and fly back over Edmonton again.

Been using Swoop between YEG and YXX for over a year now....average at best....they must cram an extra 10 rows in there....took Flair last week for the first time and it was GREAT! Clean, new jet...powerful MAX 8 GE engines, a few more inches of leg room, quiet - I'm ALL in for Flair now.......maybe they'll get a credit card partnership going and start offering "Miles"....lol
Agreed, I use Flair instead of Swoop whenever possible. Support local!

Agreed, I use Flair instead of Swoop whenever possible. Support local!
I am onboard with it even more after my flights last week. Flew WJ and AC between YEG and YVR and has delay issues on both (my AC flight from YVR to YEG got here an hour late). Can't comment on the WJ service, as I flew business, and that is not comparable to Flair, but the AC economy class service was subpar, and for the price difference, I'll take Flair every single time.

The good news keeps on coming... early Christmas for YEG?

Flair Airlines expands with service to Mexico​

Edmonton, Alberta, November 16, 2021 – Flair Airlines, Canada’s only true ultra low-cost carrier (ULCC), continues to
expand and change the face of the Canadian aviation market as it introduces nonstop, low-fare flights to Cancun and Los
Cabos, Mexico, from Vancouver, Abbotsford, Edmonton, Ottawa, and Kitchener-Waterloo.

“Starting in February, Canadians will enjoy affordable, sunny winter getaways to Cancun and Los Cabos without
breaking the bank,” said Garth Lund, Chief Commercial Officer, Flair Airlines. “We can’t wait to get our customers to the
beach.”

“The average February temperature in Canada is -6 °C; the average temperature in Cancun is 28 °C, so February seemed
like a good month to start service,” he added.

Starting February 1, Flair will offer nonstop flights to Los Cabos on Tuesdays and Saturdays from Vancouver, and
Wednesdays and Saturdays from Abbotsford and Edmonton. Nonstop flights to Cancun will be on Wednesdays and
Saturdays from Ottawa and Wednesdays and Sundays from Kitchener-Waterloo. The ultra-low fares will start from
$129 CAD one-way. All routes and schedule details can be viewed at https://www.flyflair.com.
(https://storage.googleapis.com/flyf.../Flair_Airlines_Mexico_Flights_adcfb0e368.pdf)

Swoop adds 9 direct flight destinations at EIA​

On Monday, the airline revealed its tenth airplane, a Boeing 737-800 with the hashtag Edmonton painted onto the side of it.

“We want to be number one in Edmonton,” Duncan explained.

“It’s just the beginning, we’re planning this coming summer to grow from 10 to 15 airplanes and ultimately our ambition is to grow to 30 aircrafts."

The nice thing about Swoop is that it is a convenient way to get to YYC to head to their new LHR route...

Don't get me wrong, Swoop routes are a step forward for the most part, but it also reminds us of the delta between the two airports.

The nice thing about Swoop is that it is a convenient way to get to YYC to head to their new LHR route...

Don't get me wrong, Swoop routes are a step forward for the most part, but it also reminds us of the delta between the two airports.

Maybe with EIA finally focusing on what matters, this gap might tighten a little bit.
Realistically, there is no demand in AB for both YEG and YYC to have all the same flights (or the same volume) and, unless Edmonton lands a "Northern Disneyland" to boost tourism, we simply cannot compete with YYC in terms of routes, essentially because of their proximity with Alberta's main tourist destinations.
Not that YEG doesn't deserver (or can support) flights to some major destinations, like Chicago, NYC, Boston, Atlanta and maybe even a major European hub (for work reasons, I would love if we could get Munich, but that's just me daydreaming), but I believe that EIA's strategy should focus on getting more US and LATAM destinations, as those are popular, not very well served by the current companies and could provide a number of interesting connections.
Competing with YYC for Paris, Barcelona or London is a waste of resources and time. Let's get Santiago, Rio, São Paulo, Buenos Aires, Cartagena, Lima, Panama City...

Maybe with EIA finally focusing on what matters, this gap might tighten a little bit.
Realistically, there is no demand in AB for both YEG and YYC to have all the same flights (or the same volume) and, unless Edmonton lands a "Northern Disneyland" to boost tourism, we simply cannot compete with YYC in terms of routes, essentially because of their proximity with Alberta's main tourist destinations.
Not that YEG doesn't deserver (or can support) flights to some major destinations, like Chicago, NYC, Boston, Atlanta and maybe even a major European hub (for work reasons, I would love if we could get Munich, but that's just me daydreaming), but I believe that EIA's strategy should focus on getting more US and LATAM destinations, as those are popular, not very well served by the current companies and could provide a number of interesting connections.
Competing with YYC for Paris, Barcelona or London is a waste of resources and time. Let's get Santiago, Rio, São Paulo, Buenos Aires, Cartagena, Lima, Panama City...
We almost had a route to Frankfurt on Condor airlines before the pandemic hit. I think once the industry bounces back some more, they'll finally inaugurate it.

Back