News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.8K     0 

Edmonton Companies News & Discussion

I don't think we are winning and I am not sure how many jobs this actually represents, but some better news is welcome.

View attachment 496779
For the tech'ies out there.......wait what? Is that 5 companies in YEG and only 4 in YYC? Geez, I thougth we were losing the "tech war" with YYC?

Feds just announced $6million for YYC for a downtown Tech Innovation Centre.

Interesting that they expect that to lead to additional $800M in investment from private sector to the city and Prairies and 1,000 jobs.

This tech innovation centre will also collab with Edmonton Global and similar centre in Winnipeg but will act as a Prairie centre..

Capture.PNG

What's the name of the city on this press release....let me see....dare I say it's YEG?! Omg! I thought our city was a write off compared to YYC? I guess the sky hasn't fallen and we're doing ok? There's ol' Randy B making it happen!

View attachment 497072

What's the name of the city on this press release....let me see....dare I say it's YEG?! Omg! I thought our city was a write off compared to YYC? I guess the sky hasn't fallen and we're doing ok? There's ol' Randy B making it happen!
Brazil barely has money to invest in itself, let alone in Canada. This is pretty much a publicity stunt for the Brazilians in this.

Not sure how much this impacts here, but pretty major jobs cut. Didn't they recently announce major hiring initiative? No wonder why telus has been calling me so much lately to switch my services. Relentless ha.

Capture.PNG

Maybe these fine folks can help YEG with our "tech job malaise?" Maybe they could share some insight on our inferiority "tech" complex we appear to have according to some?

Not sure how much this impacts here, but pretty major jobs cut. Didn't they recently announce major hiring initiative? No wonder why telus has been calling me so much lately to switch my services. Relentless ha.

I have heard stories in the past of Telus getting rid of older workers close to retirement. Maybe this another way for them to do this, in the guise of layoffs.

As a customer, I had a bad experience with them years ago so I avoid them like the plague. Telecom companies can be so so with service, but I never found another quite as bad as them since then.

Brazil barely has money to invest in itself, let alone in Canada. This is pretty much a publicity stunt for the Brazilians in this.
Also no mention of either technology or jobs which were the issues of concern being discussed. It might lead to jobs, but it might not.

A lot less concrete than some of the initiatives elsewhere.

Received a notice for a meeting for proposed Servus Credit Union and connect First merger, with proposed registered office in Calgary. Supposedly no staff are moving for now. This is potentially very concerning. Can someone please call Edmonton Global...we need to ensure Servus stays here.

Received a notice for a meeting for proposed Servus Credit Union and connect First merger, with proposed registered office in Calgary. Supposedly no staff are moving for now. This is potentially very concerning. Can someone please call Edmonton Global...we need to ensure Servus stays here.
If a tree falls in a forest and there is no one around to hear it does it still make a noise?

Edmonton Global, the mayor, and city council have corporate development priorities so far down the list that its not even on the list. So it begs the questions, will any of those parties be around to hear another Edmonton based company move its head office to Calgary right out from under our feet if they aren't even paying attention?

Back