News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Edmonton Companies News & Discussion

So I did read the report to the best of my ability. We are listed as a top job market.

We are also listed as one of the cheapest markets to do business in, in terms of one year company costs (for 500 employees and 60,000 sq ft of office space)
- Edm: $34 million
- Cal: $38 million
Edmonton is cheaper in terms of wage costs, while Calgary has cheaper office rent costs according to the report.

View attachment 493630

For people curious to compare, this report is the Jul 2022 one (https://mktgdocs.cbre.com/2299/957e...47cee1-897668710/2022-Scoring-Tech-Talent.pdf), not the current Jul 2023. The PDF for Jul 2023 can't be accessed on my end, however their web report (where I got all the information) is available here: https://www.cbre.com/insights/books/scoring-tech-talent-2023

*percentage changes are from 2017-2022
Calgary Tech Workforce: 52,200 (61%) - 19,700 increase
EDM Tech Workforce: 31,100 (45%) - 9,600 increase
Waterloo Region Workforce: 29,700 (52%)

View attachment 493645

Now here's the REALLY weird part.

View attachment 493624

As y'all can tell, the tech quality and cost for Edmonton is much much better in comparison to Calgary, our tech talent is both higher in quality, and cheaper in cost according to the report. The report also states:

So honestly, not sure why Edmonton's rating went down in such a massive fashion. Once the local market reports show up, I'll give it a look and see. But honestly, one hypothesis I have is just Calgary has a larger and more well known profile, while Edmonton gets transplants once more is known about it, essentially mimicking migration patterns as well.
Fake news - if you subtract the Middle East based "Mphasis" call center tech jobs and that online credit card company not tied to any bank jobs - than YYC is really below YEG. Not buying it.

As long as those opportunities don't involve tech or head office jobs, yes it will probably be promoted for Edmonton. Sadly we don't get the

As long as those opportunities don't involve tech or head office jobs, yes it will probably be promoted for Edmonton. Sadly we don't get the gravy.
I couldn't disagree more. Nothing about this meeting says a word about YYC. In fact, it is put on by "Edmonton Global" and "Brazil Hub of Edmonton," and of course Invest Alberta. So yes it will be promoted for Edmonton and if "gravy" means tech or head office jobs - who cares - as long as it's jobs that pay good salaries. For some reason, a large group of people here tend to think that "tech" jobs pay good or something. Ask those Call center folks in YYC and ask if any of them make over $35K/yr....

Last edited:
I couldn't disagree more. Nothing about this meeting says a word about YYC. In fact, it is put on by "Edmonton Global" and "Brazil Hub of Edmonton," and of course Invest Alberta. So yes it will be promoted for Edmonton and if "gravy" means tech or head office jobs - who cares - as long as it's jobs that pay good salaries. For some reason, a large group of people here tend to think that "tech" jobs pay good or something. Ask those Call center folks in YYC and ask if any of them make over $35K/yr....

Invest Alberta already scheduled this same event for Calgary back in October 2022. The plan was to do this in both cities and it started with YYC.

Some more good news updates on our new API's Pharmaceutical Hub progression.....this thing is gonna hUUUUGGE!........hopefully just as huge as YYC's burgeoning call center business........lol

Some key excerpts from Andrew MacIsaac, CEO of API - who which btw needs to be handed a key to the city!!!

"Companies API has incubated have market caps of over $500 Billlion."

"Other companies within the research park have raised over $200M."

"Aurinia - is a Unicorn - have just moved their offices back to YEG." "Just got US FDA approval on a new drug, one of only 10 ever to come from Canada, invented in YEG."

"Entos - YEG based has just raised over $200M in capital."

"Gilead's YEG campus is one of their core R&D, processing facilities - 400 jobs - $500M in infrastructure.

"Critical Care Drug Initiative - 10 years down the road, we will start seeing more Gilead-sized drug manufacturing facilities being built." "Having this new drug manufacturing facility will help more companies come here to set up their facilities." "Transform the number of companies coming here." "Looking to catalyze on R&D wet lab global demand/shortage." "Push to build more lab infrastructure." "Positioning to attract giant pharma companies to develop their "unicorns here."
"Next objective - working very actively to develop more space in the Research Park to attract companies."

Some more good news updates on our new API's Pharmaceutical Hub progression.....this thing is gonna hUUUUGGE!........hopefully just as huge as YYC's burgeoning call center business........lol

Some key excerpts from Andrew MacIsaac, CEO of API - who which btw needs to be handed a key to the city!!!

"Companies API has incubated have market caps of over $500 Billlion."

"Other companies within the research park have raised over $200M."

"Irinia(sp?) - is a Unicorn - have just moved their offices back to YEG." "Just got US FDA approval on a new drug, one of only 10 ever to come from Canada, invented in YEG."

"Entos - YEG based has just raised over $200M in capital."

"Gilead's YEG campus is one of their core R&D, processing facilities - 400 jobs - $500M in infrastructure.

"Critical Care Drug Initiative - 10 years down the road, we will start seeing more Gilead-sized drug manufacturing facilities being built." "Having this new drug manufacturing facility will help more companies come here to set up their facilities." "Transform the number of companies coming here." "Looking to catalyze on R&D wet lab global demand/shortage." "Push to build more lab infrastructure." "Positioning to attract giant pharma companies to develop their "unicorns here."
"Next objective - working very actively to develop more space in the Research Park to attract companies."
A reminder about the significance of CCDI.

Capture.PNG

For our tech job junkies out there.....

Last edited:

Pretty Even Steven down the middle between both cities. Don’t see one city favoured more the other…..for my tech job buds out there…….

Pretty Even Steven down the middle between both cities. Don’t see one city favoured more the other…..for my tech job buds out there…….

Alberta Innovates has done a good job supporting existing provincial startups and companies with funding and other supports, which is its mandate.

Invest Alberta, which has a different focus of promoting Alberta to the world in an effort to have international companies set up head offices or some form of operations in the province, has had more success (and focus) with one city over the other (in partnership with the provincial government) based on comments from their CEO and what's reported on their website.

Very complimentary to both cities - YYC and their "tech job focus" and YEG and our AI supremacy along with the UofA.

View attachment 495318
To the finance guru's on here who think YEG isn't big into finance. Look here, leased to "OFX" - a finance company out of Sydney, NSW (wherever that is...lol)
We're not finance gurus, we are professionals in the industry and have, repeatedly, over the years, seen how har it is to build a career in it, here.
Hell, even financial institutions headquartered here have a bigger presence in Calgary (ATB and AIMCo, for example. And even CWB has been growing more in Calgary than here).
OFX opening an office here is great news, but does very little to change the overall landscape of the industry in Edmonton. We should at least be working on bringing back the best jobs at ATB, AIMCo and CWB to the city.

Back