News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.8K     0 

Edmonton Companies News & Discussion

We're not finance gurus, we are professionals in the industry and have, repeatedly, over the years, seen how har it is to build a career in it, here.
Hell, even financial institutions headquartered here have a bigger presence in Calgary (ATB and AIMCo, for example. And even CWB has been growing more in Calgary than here).
OFX opening an office here is great news, but does very little to change the overall landscape of the industry in Edmonton. We should at least be working on bringing back the best jobs at ATB, AIMCo and CWB to the city.
Bigger presence in YYC? I call bs on that

Bigger presence in YYC? I call bs on that
You can call BS as much as you want, doesn't make it true. Us leaving the reality of the industry should know better, when we are ACTUALLY LOOKING FOR JOBS.

But by all means, do your own research: open Indeed, LinkedIn and the Careers pages of all of these and see how many job postings they have for Calgary and how many for Edmonton, especially for corporate jobs (we're talking about high-paying finance, not branch receptionist or cashier, here, after all).

And the same goes for all other banks. Not to mention how many Capital Advisory, Investment Banks, Portfolio Management, Auditing and Accounting, Management Consultants, Business Consultants, etc they have, whereas you can probably list all of Edmonton's in your hands. And this is simply because instead of attracting head offices, we became an almost strictly industrial centre. It's not rocket science.

You can call BS as much as you want, doesn't make it true. Us leaving the reality of the industry should know better, when we are ACTUALLY LOOKING FOR JOBS.

But by all means, do your own research: open Indeed, LinkedIn and the Careers pages of all of these and see how many job postings they have for Calgary and how many for Edmonton, especially for corporate jobs (we're talking about high-paying finance, not branch receptionist or cashier, here, after all).

And the same goes for all other banks. Not to mention how many Capital Advisory, Investment Banks, Portfolio Management, Auditing and Accounting, Management Consultants, Business Consultants, etc they have, whereas you can probably list all of Edmonton's in your hands. And this is simply because instead of attracting head offices, we became an almost strictly industrial centre. It's not rocket science.
Its not use I gave up lonnnggggg time ago, he doesnt understand anything outside of the four walls of his bobcat.

Being an industrial, branch plant city is not a healthy diversified economy. Maybe lots of good construction jobs initially to build things, but when that is done fewer jobs to operate them and the best paying, high level jobs for people who run the businesses (as opposed to the plant or facility) are located elsewhere.

You're right on many fronts. Especially with Edmonton's population now moving towards 2m, improving air connections, and excellent finance program at the UofA, Edmonton is a natural fit for corporate finance jobs, building on the base we already have. There needs to be a focus on this.

Focusing on mostly blue collar industrial jobs maybe made more sense when Edmonton and Alberta was much smaller in the 1970's, but this strategy is a now a relic of the past.

We are no longer a city of 500,000, metro population is now around 1.5 million. We are more grown up now and need to start to act like it and not just rely on what was easy in the past.

The obsession about whether Edmonton is a white or blue collar town is so stupid. I'm not going to argue about whether the city is the best place for finance professionals, but pretending that Edmonton offers opportunity only to those driving a bobcat is ridiculous. I came to Edmonton for a white collar job that paid more than in Calgary. Salaries in my industry are also the same or better than in Vancouver, with a much lower CoL.

This is why personal experience and anecdote isn't particularly valuable since we all have difference experiences. Edmonton has a lot of strengths that it can play on, including a very large research university cranking out thousands of well-trained graduates annually. We have work to do, but there are a lot of places that don't have our advantages.

Bigger presence in YYC? I call bs on t
We're not finance gurus, we are professionals in the industry and have, repeatedly, over the years, seen how har it is to build a career in it, here.
Hell, even financial institutions headquartered here have a bigger presence in Calgary (ATB and AIMCo, for example. And even CWB has been growing more in Calgary than here).
OFX opening an office here is great news, but does very little to change the overall landscape of the industry in Edmonton. We should at least be working on bringing back the best jobs at ATB, AIMCo and CWB to the city.
I’m not able to find the info online, but im pretty sure aimco has hundreds of employees in Edmonton. Of their 8 jobs posted, 4 are in edmonton, and 3 are a choice between 2-3 cities which includes edmonton. Do you have anything showing a break down of their employee locations?

The obsession about whether Edmonton is a white or blue collar town is so stupid. I'm not going to argue about whether the city is the best place for finance professionals, but pretending that Edmonton offers opportunity only to those driving a bobcat is ridiculous. I came to Edmonton for a white collar job that paid more than in Calgary. Salaries in my industry are also the same or better than in Vancouver, with a much lower CoL.

This is why personal experience and anecdote isn't particularly valuable since we all have difference experiences. Edmonton has a lot of strengths that it can play on, including a very large research university cranking out thousands of well-trained graduates annually. We have work to do, but there are a lot of places that don't have our advantages.
No one is denying that there are good white collar opportunities here There are, but they're not nearly as plentiful as Calgary, for example. Denying this is borderline delusional. Moving out of from somewhere to try and start a career in finance or professional services, without having something already lined up here is VERY hard. A lot harder than in our neighbour to the south, unfortunately.

I agree that Edmonton has a lot of strengths to play on, and you and @occidentalcapital have touched exactly on this: we have a top business school, a lot of talent being formed here from various universities, a young and rapidly growing population... We're just having a hard time making good use of these advantages.

I'm not surprised, because YYC doesn't limit themselves or have a mentality of inferiority. Some people here seem to think we are not good enough for head offices or tech.
I was being facetious…I knew someone on here would take that 1 extra company way too serious and think that it was a failure of some sort on YEG. Looks like I found a taker….lol. Btw, these have nothing to do with head offices….these are small up and coming manu companies.

By facetious, do you mean treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant?

I don't think and didn't say one less company is some sort of great failure. It seems to be a fairly close result, that is not what I was trying to point out.

A place with more confidence does not limit themselves, and Calgary clearly has the confidence to go after both head offices and manufacturing.

Capture.PNG

Back