News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Edmonton Companies News & Discussion

Some positive news - anyone know what space they took? Was it vacant or sublease?
---

Mark AndersonMark Anderson
(He/Him) •
Vice President at CBRE Canada
35m

On behalf of ATB Financial & Edmonton Office Advisors team we are happy to announce that a Fluor Corporation will be expanding into a new downtown office at ATB Place. This is a very exciting transaction for the market and terrific vote of confidence in our downtown.

A big thank you and shout out to Will Harvie for his diligent work in representing Fluor in this transaction. We expect this trend of companies coming downtown to continue as the value proposition of working in the core continues to grow.
They really don't have a presents in YEG.

Some positive news - anyone know what space they took? Was it vacant or sublease?
---

Mark AndersonMark Anderson
(He/Him) •
Vice President at CBRE Canada
35m

On behalf of ATB Financial & Edmonton Office Advisors team we are happy to announce that a Fluor Corporation will be expanding into a new downtown office at ATB Place. This is a very exciting transaction for the market and terrific vote of confidence in our downtown.

A big thank you and shout out to Will Harvie for his diligent work in representing Fluor in this transaction. We expect this trend of companies coming downtown to continue as the value proposition of working in the core continues to gro
They really don't have a presents in YEG.
Zero, zilch! This is for gearing up for Dow…..

Zero, zilch! This is for gearing up for Dow…..
100%.

Which makes it even more surprising they’re not in a random office space in Sherwood Park imo

How many people per floor? I’m guessing 900-1200 folks. Last Fluor project I was on had about the same head count for a lot smaller of projects. So 900-1200 X 2 for the actual work site plus at home folks

Not all jobs are data entry and call centre... And a city cannot live off of just blue collar jobs if it wants to attract and keep young, educated professionals.
I, for once, am considering moving to greener pastures, as much as I love Edmonton (and I think the amount of time I dedicate both here in this forum and out there, trying to make things happening in this city speaks for itself). I'd love to stay, but it's damn near impossible to find a finance related job here. Just as it's hard to find tech jobs, professional services, etc...

It's great that we get the big industrial projects, but if we do not attract more white collar jobs, we'll find it increasingly hard to diversify and grow.
If you want to explore greener pastures, I whole-heartedly recommend leaving Edmonton and seeing what else is out there. It may be that for finance-related jobs you need to live elsewhere, just like aspiring actors aren't going to be moving to Red Deer any time soon. Edmonton can't be everything to everyone, and that is okay.

What I can say from my own perspective as someone who moved from Calgary for a white-collar job is that the blend of opportunity, pay and affordable property are very attractive. Frankly, if someone wants to pay $3000 a month for a one-bedroom to feel like they've made it, that's fine by me. I'll be enjoying my SFH, short commute and regular holidays, thank you very much.

Last edited:
Please post the response you get from this. I am very curious because this is extremely frustrating.

Here is the response from Comms director from Invest Alberta about my inquiry to the CEO about lack of Edmonton announcements versus Calgary from this provincial organization - the CEO made a statement last week to expect several more announcements this fall of firms setting up in Calgary. No mention of Edmonton so I inquired about the outlook here.

"Thank you for your email and the opportunity to tell you about the outlook for Edmonton when it comes to attracting investment.

While we are proud of the recent announcements about companies that are setting up in Calgary, Edmonton is still an important area of focus that stands out as a vibrant economic hub for the province. Since being established in 2020, Invest Alberta has attracted companies that have invested nearly $20 billion in Alberta’s economy and created more than 27,000 jobs in Calgary, Edmonton, and across the province.

A priority for investors is often an available and growing pool of talent. The talent pool in Edmonton makes it a competitive destination for investment. With 130,000 enrolled students in eight post-secondary institutions, Edmonton’s talent pool is continually growing. The tech community in Edmonton is among the fastest growing in North America, with companies like Apple, Microsoft, IBM, Amazon, Jobber, and more. The University of Alberta is ranked 3rd globally in AI research and Edmonton is home the Alberta Machine Intelligence Institute (Amii). Both position Edmonton as the destination for some of the world’s brightest minds in AI.

The Edmonton region is also attracting investment to the Industrial Heartland, an area with rich industrial land that’s leading the province and the country through the energy transition. Invest Alberta works closely with our metropolitan economic development partner, Edmonton Global, to support investment attraction in this sector and beyond.

Edmonton continues to shine as a great place for businesses to grow, innovate, and succeed. Invest Alberta’s team is strategically placed in Edmonton, Calgary, and 14 offices across the globe to share that story with potential investors."

Interesting that Invest Alberta can say to expect more announcements in YYC upcoming. And the outlook here - Edmonton is a vibrant economic hub with lots of students. Certainly the focus of this organization is centered on Calgary. This message also came from YYC based office.

Here is the response from Comms director from Invest Alberta about my inquiry to the CEO about lack of Edmonton announcements versus Calgary from this provincial organization - the CEO made a statement last week to expect several more announcements this fall of firms setting up in Calgary. No mention of Edmonton so I inquired about the outlook here.

"Thank you for your email and the opportunity to tell you about the outlook for Edmonton when it comes to attracting investment.

While we are proud of the recent announcements about companies that are setting up in Calgary, Edmonton is still an important area of focus that stands out as a vibrant economic hub for the province. Since being established in 2020, Invest Alberta has attracted companies that have invested nearly $20 billion in Alberta’s economy and created more than 27,000 jobs in Calgary, Edmonton, and across the province.

A priority for investors is often an available and growing pool of talent. The talent pool in Edmonton makes it a competitive destination for investment. With 130,000 enrolled students in eight post-secondary institutions, Edmonton’s talent pool is continually growing. The tech community in Edmonton is among the fastest growing in North America, with companies like Apple, Microsoft, IBM, Amazon, Jobber, and more. The University of Alberta is ranked 3rd globally in AI research and Edmonton is home the Alberta Machine Intelligence Institute (Amii). Both position Edmonton as the destination for some of the world’s brightest minds in AI.

The Edmonton region is also attracting investment to the Industrial Heartland, an area with rich industrial land that’s leading the province and the country through the energy transition. Invest Alberta works closely with our metropolitan economic development partner, Edmonton Global, to support investment attraction in this sector and beyond.

Edmonton continues to shine as a great place for businesses to grow, innovate, and succeed. Invest Alberta’s team is strategically placed in Edmonton, Calgary, and 14 offices across the globe to share that story with potential investors."

Interesting that Invest Alberta can say to expect more announcements in YYC upcoming. And the outlook here - Edmonton is a vibrant economic hub with lots of students. Certainly the focus of this organization is centered on Calgary. This message also came from YYC based office.
Cause it was Stampede week! That week has always historically been the week to show off YYC. For those of us who were born and raised here…..we are used to that. Get over it and move on…..I see an equal balance between the 2 cities……apparently there is not enough finance jobs in YEG….I wouldn’t know cause I’m not into finance…..

Last edited:

What a pathetic yet predictable response. Confirms that we can expect more of the status quo moving forward.

What a pathetic yet predictable response. Confirms that we can expect more of the status quo moving forward.
Yes, it is not a good sign. It seems rather tone deaf or not very bright to mention Calgary first when someone's concern is specifically related to Edmonton.

If they want to call themselves Innovate Alberta, they really need to pay more attention to places other than Calgary. Otherwise, it become lame and the taxpayers of the rest of Alberta should not be having to pay for this.

Cause it was Stampede week! That week has always historically been the week to show off YYC. For those of us who were born and raised here…..we are used to that. Get over it and move on…..I see an equal balance between the 2 cities……apparently there is not enough finance jobs in YEG….I wouldn’t know cause I’m not into finance…..
There are not enough white collar jobs in Edmonton in general, not just finance. Again, I will use myself as an example (and we have others in the forum like me), but it doesn't do me ANY good to hear a billion investments being announced for hundreds of blue collar jobs... It's almost inevitable that I'll have to leave Edmonton to build a career, unless I luck out a lot, and this is a common trend for business, accounting, economics, finance, law, IT... Do we REALLY want to be ONLY a blue collar job centre?

As someone who works in a white collar job in Edmonton and has for decades this has been a life long frustration. Other places always get the gravy and we don't.

Our province seems a bit stuck in the mentality of one city being blue collar and the other white collar from the 1970's, that might have made some sense when the cities were less than a third of their current size.

However, oddly Calgary now seems to not have a problem getting more blue collar jobs to go with all the white collar ones they have and are getting. It seems it is just us continuing to be pigeonholed by an idea that is an now economic relic from the 1970's

As someone who works in a white collar job in Edmonton and has for decades this has been a life long frustration. Other places always get the gravy and we don't.

Our province seems a bit stuck in the mentality of one city being blue collar and the other white collar from the 1970's, that might have made some sense when the cities were less than a third of their current size.

However, oddly Calgary now seems to not have a problem getting more blue collar jobs to go with all the white collar ones they have and are getting. It seems it is just us continuing to be pigeonholed by an idea that is an now economic relic from the 1970's
Calgary definitely gets its share of blue collar industrial type jobs and the necessary construction jobs too. For example, Green impact Partners is building a $1.2B ethanol plant in Calgary, de Havilland is building their aircraft manufacturing plant with 1,500 full time jobs just east of Calgary, there's a $210M wallboard manufacturing plant proposed for just outside Calgary, a $225M food protein processing facility just east of Calgary, and I could keep going on.

Calgary get its fair share of many industrial, blue collar, manufacturing or operating jobs as well. Its not at all like they get all the head offices and its ok because we get everything else.

Goes back to what a few of us are saying, Edmonton absolutely sucks at attracting professional jobs and companies. It's almost like there is no sanctioned group that is supposed to be attracting that type of investment or job creation. There is a large gap here that is not getting attended to. Its also interesting because I never hear or see or read anyone in the public who identifies this as an issue and/or identifies this as "hey we need to do a better job at attracting jobs to Edmonton AND we need to do a better at bringing jobs to downtown, lets action this".

Imagine if we had half the companies Calgary is attracting open their offices in downtown Edmonton rather than there and what impact that would have on our downtown and vacancy rate and transit use, etc.

Back