News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Companies News & Discussion

Something here doesn't quite make sense. I remember Telus made a big deal quite some time ago about not dealing with Huawei and now it seems to be trying to blame the Feds for this current delay. I smell corporate bs here.
Telus is good at that.

20230623_162108.jpg

Apparently Musk is announcing the "7th location for a new Gigafactory." Has YEG been in talks with Tesla on this? lol

Last edited:
Invest Alberta is a creation of the province and they seem to be having a lot of success bringing business to the province - that is Calgary.

I was reading in the news today of the announcement about Silicon Valley based Teknol establishing a head office in Calgary continuing the momentum of tech firms moving to that city.

A rep from that company talked about the talent pool as a significant part of the decision to move operations to YYC and mentioned the UofA as part of that - which again means young talent leaving here.

It would also be great if these types of career opportunities that Invest Alberta is generating were available for UofA tech grads in Edmonton, as well for our slumping downtown that is a fraction of the size of Calgary and losing more and more ground it seems. In the story today, the CEO from Invest Alberta talked about several more firms moving to Calgary that will be announced this fall. I sent the CEO an email asking if he was anticipating any announcements for Edmonton?

We did have the AbacusBio announcement recently - with 6 jobs expected. That was initiative of Invest Alberta in part.

In looking at the Invest Alberta website, all the other recent news stories are about announcements in Calgary - with hundreds of jobs.

I also asked the CEO if there is just a higher level of effort or hustle among the Calgary team to bring these opportunities there and is that more of Invest Alberta's focus too? Is Edmonton just less desirable despite the UofA and other post secondary institutions? And with more announcements coming this fall for Calgary, what is the outlook for Edmonton?

It is frustrating when provincial bodies ignore Edmonton, but we sadly have a long history of provincial governments and Premiers who come from elsewhere in Alberta doing just that.

It would be good if in the future Invest Alberta could better remember there is more than one large city with a major research university in Alberta.

Invest Alberta is a creation of the province and they seem to be having a lot of success bringing business to the province - that is Calgary.

I was reading in the news today of the announcement about Silicon Valley based Teknol establishing a head office in Calgary continuing the momentum of tech firms moving to that city.

A rep from that company talked about the talent pool as a significant part of the decision to move operations to YYC and mentioned the UofA as part of that - which again means young talent leaving here.

It would also be great if these types of career opportunities that Invest Alberta is generating were available for UofA tech grads in Edmonton, as well for our slumping downtown that is a fraction of the size of Calgary and losing more and more ground it seems. In the story today, the CEO from Invest Alberta talked about several more firms moving to Calgary that will be announced this fall. I sent the CEO an email asking if he was anticipating any announcements for Edmonton?

We did have the AbacusBio announcement recently - with 6 jobs expected. That was initiative of Invest Alberta in part.

In looking at the Invest Alberta website, all the other recent news stories are about announcements in Calgary - with hundreds of jobs.

I also asked the CEO if there is just a higher level of effort or hustle among the Calgary team to bring these opportunities there and is that more of Invest Alberta's focus too? Is Edmonton just less desirable despite the UofA and other post secondary institutions? And with more announcements coming this fall for Calgary, what is the outlook for Edmonton?
Please post the response you get from this. I am very curious because this is extremely frustrating.

Back